This defense can't make plays

Whether you agree with his point of view or not, the personal attacks will stop and there are a few of them in this thread. I don't care if you've been posting for a week or 5 years.......it is NOT okay and rules are rules. This is a public warning as this has been going on for several weeks now and it needs to stop. Attack the post not the poster and use the report feature to report personal attacks.

That being said, what do you expect when you just have individuals come on, even after a win, and post such garbage. I know you guys do your best to keep the board friendly and a good place for discussion, but when you've got folks coming on here with no other intention than to stir the pot, you have to expect a reaction.

He's trying to have a discussion......he isn't fitting the mold of a troll and isn't stirring the pot. He has valid points and genuine concerns and trust me.....if he was a troll he'd be gone. If you can't handle the topic don't post in it.

It's not much of a discussion, it's just "fire bo, fire bo" over, and over. I'm trying to ask what should be done to change it...

As I've said to another poster in another thread, quote me once where I've called to have bo fired. Just once. Believe me, I've posted on many message boards. I can take mindless posts and insults from the Internets. But at least make them about what I've actually said. I've already said that at this point in the season, I'm not sure what can be done with the players that we have. There are clearly coaching issues as well with the number of penalties and the ridiculous number of times we put the ball on the ground. How do you fix that? I'm not sure anyone can answer that question other than the coaching staff.

As I've said to another poster in another thread, quote me once where I've called to have bo fired. Just once. Believe me, I've posted on many message boards. I can take mindless posts and insults from the Internets. But at least make them about what I've actually said. I've already said that at this point in the season, I'm not sure what can be done with the players that we have. There are clearly coaching issues as well with the number of penalties and the ridiculous number of times we put the ball on the ground. How do you fix that? I'm not sure anyone can answer that question other than the coaching staff.

Then what should be done?

Like I said, some of that is only answerable by the coaching staff. I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. It's on the coaching staff to coach ball protection. It's on the coaching staff to teach your guys to actually get up to the line when they line up. Today, the only excusable penalty was the ineligible receiver call. It's on the players to actually catch gift wrapped INTs. If you're looking for suggestions for scheme changes, I don't think the scheme is the problem. It's the inability to tackle and the inability to make plays. If you're looking for personnel changes, I think we're putting best personnel we have out on the field. So again, I'm not sure what type of answer you're looking for.

waitingc.gif

Like I said, some of that is only answerable by the coaching staff. I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. It's on the coaching staff to coach ball protection. It's on the coaching staff to teach your guys to actually get up to the line when they line up. Today, the only excusable penalty was the ineligible receiver call. It's on the players to actually catch gift wrapped INTs. If you're looking for suggestions for scheme changes, I don't think the scheme is the problem. It's the inability to tackle and the inability to make plays. If you're looking for personnel changes, I think we're putting best personnel we have out on the field. So again, I'm not sure what type of answer you're looking for.

so, just come on, have a fit, and find no viable solution?

This defense just can't make plays when they need to. Despite the fact that they looked good for parts of the game, they still gave up 28 points. Granted 7 of them were off a turnover, but even discounting that, they're still giving up way too many points, . Even worse, while the Huskers did win the game, they did so by a foot. When they needed to lock down on the final drive, they let them drive into field goal range after giving up 28 points already. They had at least 3 opportunities for clear picks on the final NW drive and could never come up with the ball. They make one of those plays and the game is over. It makes no sense that if that kick is one more foot to the left, the defense has problems and gave up the game losing drive, but because it sailed a foot to the right, the defense played great. The kick doesn't negate the failure of the defense.

I saw more tipped balls at the line and by our corners and safeties (linebackers to) than any game I've seen all year. They covered well, and contained properly, for going up against one of those dreaded mobile QBs. Take away that 80 yard TD run and NW has 221 yards and 100 rushing yards. They had 121 yards passing. Take away the fumbles and they have 111 yards passing and 211 yards total and 14 points. There were not a whole lot of broken tackles. I don't know what more you could ask for. The defense played well.

Offensively, it was frustrating at times. Some of the playcalling and offensive line play was annoying. But regardless, we put up 543 yards (342 passing, 201 running) on 26 first downs and scored 29. Without the turnovers it could've been more.

Now doing this for one game is great. If we can do this against Michigan, I'll be pleased. But at least improving off of a win will be much easier than improving off a loss.

This defense just can't make plays when they need to. Despite the fact that they looked good for parts of the game, they still gave up 28 points. Granted 7 of them were off a turnover, but even discounting that, they're still giving up way too many points, . Even worse, while the Huskers did win the game, they did so by a foot. When they needed to lock down on the final drive, they let them drive into field goal range after giving up 28 points already. They had at least 3 opportunities for clear picks on the final NW drive and could never come up with the ball. They make one of those plays and the game is over. It makes no sense that if that kick is one more foot to the left, the defense has problems and gave up the game losing drive, but because it sailed a foot to the right, the defense played great. The kick doesn't negate the failure of the defense.

I saw more tipped balls at the line and by our corners and safeties (linebackers to) than any game I've seen all year. They covered well, and contained properly, for going up against one of those dreaded mobile QBs. Take away that 80 yard TD run and NW has 221 yards and 100 rushing yards. They had 121 yards passing. Take away the fumbles and they have 111 yards passing and 211 yards total and 14 points. There were not a whole lot of broken tackles. I don't know what more you could ask for. The defense played well.

Offensively, it was frustrating at times. Some of the playcalling and offensive line play was annoying. But regardless, we put up 543 yards (342 passing, 201 running) on 26 first downs and scored 29. Without the turnovers it could've been more.

Now doing this for one game is great. If we can do this against Michigan, I'll be pleased. But at least improving off of a win will be much easier than improving off a loss.

and the two dropped Int's, if it wasn't for the abomination that was the first half, this game could have been a runaway..

so, just come on, have a fit, and find no viable solution?

Actually, I came on here hoping to see if anyone else had a solution to what I thought was an obvious problem. Instead, all I got was self-congratulatory Internets police and accusations about me posting things that I never posted. Well that and repeated assertions that giving up 28 (almost 31) is stopping a team cold and that a win should supersede clear problems with the defense and the coaching.

• Fire 1

Actually, I came on here hoping to see if anyone else had a solution to what I thought was an obvious problem. Instead, all I got was self-congratulatory Internets police and accusations about me posting things that I never posted. Well that and repeated assertions that giving up 28 (almost 31) is stopping a team cold and that a win should supersede clear problems with the defense and the coaching.

They were down 14-10 at half after an abomination of a first half, what the hell more do you want?

Do you want them to play on offense too? How many times in the first half, did we give up the ball and they start near midfield, and they went 3 and out? That until they scored their first TD, they hadn't had a first down? What the f*ck do you want?? Being put in crap situations like they did on numerous occasions in the first half, I'm not sure what more they could have done...

I'll have to watch a game to see all those tipped balls. I saw a lot more poor throws on fade route than anything else. Granted, the coverage was pretty good on most of those, but how many times today did the NW receiver actually have a step on the corner only to have the ball under/overthrown? WRT the 80 yd run, you can't selectively take away plays to evaluate the team. That would be like saying, take away 4 of the TDs OSU scored and we would have won. I for one can tell you that I distinctly thought when Cotton caught that pass that there was too much time on the clock with this defense. And sure enough, they let NW into FG range and were saved by a foot long wide right.

They were down 14-10 at half after an abomination of a first half, what the hell more do you want?

Do you want them to play on offense too? How many times in the first half, did we give up the ball and they start near midfield, and they went 3 and out? That until they scored their first TD, they hadn't had a first down? What the f*ck do you want?? Being put in crap situations like they did on numerous occasions in the first half, I'm not sure what more they could have done...

2 of the 3 fumbles weren't on offense. Look, they definitely played better today. But they completely broke down on the trap play, NW marched it down our throats on the 4th quarter drive, and they couldn't make the stop when then needed on the final drive. That's the problem with this defense. They actually looked good the first 3-4 drives in the OSU game as well. Look how that turned out.

• Fire 1