Today's Presser - Northwestern/Michigan

knapplc

@HuskerExtraBR

Bo says Rex is day to day.

@HuskerExtraSip

Burkhead, after re-injuring knee Saturday, was "a lot better (Sunday), and even better today," Bo Pelini said. Says Rex is "day to day."

Pelini said #Huskers will proceed cautiously with Burkhead.

@CornFedSports

Bo on Rex: " He felt great going into the game, we will be inclined to let him rest but it is not up to me." #Rexalert

Was Saturday a game changer for Taylor? Bo said he has played at a high level all year. #weagree

"I never lack confidnce in Taylor throwing the ball, " Bo.

"I do know this if we do win out we will be in that big ten championship game."

@937JakeSorensen

Bo says freshman DE Avery Moss likely out for year with shoulder injury. #Huskers

@ESPN_BigTen

Pelini on Burkhead: "He felt really good going into the game, didn't have any issues in practice." Inclined to let him rest for a week.

Pelini: "He's frustrated and obviously disappointed he's had to deal with it. It's been too bad." Have to consider how he wants to attack it

@ericolson64

Bo, on Rex: "Proceed cautiously." Says injury is aggravation of old one, not as bad as reaggravation vs. Ohio St #huskers

Bo says he would be inclined to rest Rex for a week, but he can't say for sure if that will be the case.

Bo, on Michigan: "Tremendous amount of respect for them. Class program. Trem academic institution.Lot of same values and traditions we have"

• Fire 1

I said it last week, that if Rex got injured, Bo would say its day to day. Why give Michigan the upper hand and not prepare for him to be in the backfield?

I say we sit him out, unless we need him and he wants to play. No sense in hurting him more, when we know we will need him for the B1G Championship and Bowl game if we make it. Many state we don't need him, but the defense's preparation is way different when he is on the field. He opens a lot more plays for us, and simply put, he gets those extra yards when we need them. Any legit weapon is always needed.

I said it last week, that if Rex got injured, Bo would say its day to day. Why give Michigan the upper hand and not prepare for him to be in the backfield?

I say we sit him out, unless we need him and he wants to play. No sense in hurting him more, when we know we will need him for the B1G Championship and Bowl game if we make it. Many state we don't need him, but the defense's preparation is way different when he is on the field. He opens a lot more plays for us, and simply put, he gets those extra yards when we need them. Any legit weapon is always needed.

Not having Rex (a bigger back with speed) for Michigan will be a factor. Add in the leadership and his toughness that I think our team rallies around, it would be a big loss.

Not having Rex (a bigger back with speed) for Michigan will be a factor. Add in the leadership and his toughness that I think our team rallies around, it would be a big loss.

Its not as big as you think. Sure, he is a threat, but you have three VERY good I-backs right behind him. Not just Ameer, but a very dynamic, and potentially biggest threat, Braylon Heard. With Rex being hurt, he isn't much of a threat, but then again, you don't want your opponent to not practice for him. Just gives them one less task to work on. I have liked Heard since he committed and simply, he is the most under rated back we have. He is basically guaranteed yards, with the field vision Burkhead has. Braylon is someone I strongly believe needs more snaps. Him and Cross will go down as Elites in Nebraska if they stay healthy throughout their career. Braylon is just more natural if anyone knows what I mean.

Its not as big as you think. Sure, he is a threat, but you have three VERY good I-backs right behind him. Not just Ameer, but a very dynamic, and potentially biggest threat, Braylon Heard. With Rex being hurt, he isn't much of a threat, but then again, you don't want your opponent to not practice for him. Just gives them one less task to work on. I have liked Heard since he committed and simply, he is the most under rated back we have. He is basically guaranteed yards, with the field vision Burkhead has. Braylon is someone I strongly believe needs more snaps. Him and Cross will go down as Elites in Nebraska if they stay healthy throughout their career. Braylon is just more natural if anyone knows what I mean.

I disagree. Having a leader on a team that is sorely lacking in leadership is big. Granted, we do have quality behind him but his presence adds that intangible factor. I do have to agree on Heard. He has that natural running style of squaring his shoulders to the line and running laterally. You can't teach that and it gives him that backfield vision.

I disagree. Having a leader on a team that is sorely lacking in leadership is big. Granted, we do have quality behind him but his presence adds that intangible factor. I do have to agree on Heard. He has that natural running style of squaring his shoulders to the line and running laterally. You can't teach that and it gives him that backfield vision.

You can be a just as great of a leader on the field, as you can on the sidelines in my opinion. I have also seen Ameer step up to that leadership on the field lately. I think our offense has great posture, even with Rex not on the field.

Thanks Knapp! Can Avery Moss get a medical redshirt?

He has to miss 7+ games throughout his career, due to an injury, to get a Medical Redshirt. Not sure how many he has missed, but I think he may be over the 3 games/33% since he is a Freshman.

He's only played in 3. Southern Miss, Arkansas St. and Idaho St.

And for no other reason for having him out there would have to be his ball security!

He has to miss 7+ games throughout his career, due to an injury, to get a Medical Redshirt. Not sure how many he has missed, but I think he may be over the 3 games/33% since he is a Freshman.

If this is truly the case, then Rex getting a medical redshirt wouldn't be out of the question. How many games did he miss in his freshman season due to the foot injury?

If this is truly the case, then Rex getting a medical redshirt wouldn't be out of the question. How many games did he miss in his freshman season due to the foot injury?

He missed 5 his frosh year. 2 so far this year.

A “medical red shirt” is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete is injured after participating in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year and then qualifies for a Medical Hardship Waiver.

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

© the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

This is what I found out about Medical Hardship Waiver, AKA Medical Redshirt. So neither Rex nor Moss would be eligible. Not that I would think Rex would do it even if he was. There are so many versions of the rules out there with fidgity numbers. I found this in a NCAA Department of Athletics website. Matched a couple others as well. A few other websites state a 3 game 33% deal.