"Football Smarts". Will we get it, or is it too late?

^ they are, the difference is he's not claiming to have proof behind his opinions.

So your saying my proof is wrong? lol Didn't know with ESPN having us at #19 in total offense made me wrong.

That's not proof. (and you shouldn't use ESPN for anything you're trying to quantify - besides, #19 wouldn't put us into a "one of the best" category anyways). Does me saying our #124 ranking in fumbles lost makes us the worst offense seem like proof that we are to you?

That's not proof. (and you shouldn't use ESPN for anything you're trying to quantify - besides, #19 wouldn't put us into a "one of the best" category). Does me saying our #124 ranking in fumbles lost makes us the worst offense seem like proof to you?

ESPN and CFBStats have the same stats.

Total Offensive yards: #19

Yards per game: #12

Rushing yards: #10

Rushing yards per game: #6

Total Points: #16

Points Per Game: #12

Rushing Yards Per attempt: #4

Yards Per Pass attempt: #14

Passing TD's: #20

Rushing TD's: #16

Please enlighten me on how we are not one of the best in the country. Just because of fumbles? We are at 1.57 fumbles a game on offense.

That's not proof. (and you shouldn't use ESPN for anything you're trying to quantify - besides, #19 wouldn't put us into a "one of the best" category). Does me saying our #124 ranking in fumbles lost makes us the worst offense seem like proof to you?

Please enlighten me on how we are not one of the best in the country. Thanks

I already did, our offense crapped the big one against UCLA. A 71st ranked defense. We were 1 of 11 in 3rd down conversions that game. If we were one in the best that loss wouldn't be there.

They layed an egg for 2 quarters against Wisconsin. If we were one of the best they would have played like the 2nd half the entire game.

We were ho-hum the entire game against Ohio State, giving up 14 points on offensive turnovers that (in my opinion) turned the tide in that game. If we were one of the best that would have been a competitive game until the 4th. We still lose it, but we are in it.

We were 3 of 14 on 3rd down conversions against Northwestern. A 72nd ranked defense. We fumbled away points, had a safety (we know that was one) and stuggled with lining up to the ball. If we were one of the best we would have won by 20, not 3.

...and like I said...one of the best is a top 10ish team. We are one of the best rushing teams in the country. I'll give you that.

Please enlighten me on how we are not one of the best in the country. Thanks

I already did, our offense crapped the big one against UCLA. A 71st ranked defense. We were 1 of 11 in 3rd down conversions that game. If we were one in the best that loss wouldn't be there.

They layed an egg for 2 quarters against Wisconsin. If we were one of the best they would have played like the 2nd half the entire game.

We were ho-hum the entire game against Ohio State, giving up 14 points on offensive turnovers that (in my opinion) turned the tide in that game. If we were one of the best that would have been a competitive game until the 4th. We still lose it, but we are in it.

We were 3 of 14 on 3rd down conversions against Northwestern. A 72nd ranked defense. We fumbled away points, had a safety (we know that was one) and stuggled with lining up to the ball. If we were one of the best we would have won by 20, not 3.

...and like I said...one of the best is a top 10ish team. We are one of the best rushing teams in the country. I'll give you that.

3rd down conversion isn't that good, but a lot has to do with undisciplined penalties, or just 3rd and longs. I have my stats on that game at home, but I also believe we had a total of 26 first downs. Most coming from 2nd down. It seems like we are having better 1st down drives this year, which makes a world of a difference on keeping a drive alive. The issue with having a new OC, especially a first timer, is they don't know what to call in those situations. That will come with time.

More interesting stats:

• First down Rushes: #10- 97 first downs with 66 passing first downs.
  • Total of first downs: #26- 176 first downs
  • 3rd down Conversions %: #35 -Not as bad as I thought it was but it should be higher with how good we are, that should be way better, I definitely agree there.
  • Number of Penalties: #63- 88 penalties
  • Penalties on 1st down: #44 with 13 total 1st down penalties
  • Number of yards from Penalties: #54- With 811 yards. Most of the penalties came from Offense, but the defense has hurt the yardage a lot as well this season with pass interference calls and personal fouls.

....tell ya what - since you are using only stats to prove your point --- we are averaging 41.6 points a game (48.5 at home), and 512 yards per game (542 at home). If we are just average against Michigan, and hit those numbers without turning the ball over inside their 35 (therefore negating offensive points by giving them easy scores)...I'll concede that we are one of the best offenses in the nations. If we don't, will you concede we aren't?

And I really hope you win this argument now. :)

....tell ya what - since you are using only stats to prove your point --- we are averaging 41.6 points a game (48.5 at home), and 512 yards per game (542 at home). If we are just average against Michigan, and hit those numbers without turning the ball over inside their 35 (therefore negating offensive points by giving them easy scores)...I'll concede that we are one of the best offenses in the nations. If we don't, will you concede we aren't?

Deal ;) Lol

I was just showing those stats, just to show them, not to prove anyone wrong or right lol. More of just an observation. Obviously our offense isn't completely disciplined, and still need work, I am not denying that, but we are progressing. As of right now, I think we could compete with any defense. Turnovers kills us mostly.

Deal ;) Lol

I was just showing those stats, just to show them, not to prove anyone wrong or right lol. More of just an observation. Obviously our offense isn't completely disciplined, and still need work, I am not denying that, but we are progressing. As of right now, I think we could compete with any defense. Turnovers kills us mostly.

Wow. It's comments like, "we could compete against any defense," that take you to another level. As I stated earlier, we have the opportunity to be very very good but I'm not at all interested in seeing our offense compete right now against the best defenses in the country. I like your passion though, you've got that one down. I know one thing, I hope your right about all of this and it comes through tomorrow.

This is not a bash any particular player or coach post. I do not want anyone benched and I do not want anyone fired. Well, maybe the special teams coach should at least have a very warm seat.

I guess what has bothered me more than anything this year is that the team does not seem to be very "football smart". Not judging their off-the-field intelligence as I am sure they are just fine.

Abdullah and Bell with their eyes upfield when "attempting" to catch a punt. After they have called a fair catch.

Stafford's personal foul on what would have been a key, early turnover in NW territory.

Having Colter hemmed in, but letting him slip between you and your fellow defender that you could have been holding hands with. (happened at least twice).

Martinez attempting a very low percentage side-line pass on 3rd and 3 when he could have walked for a first down.

Reed going the wrong way on a crucial 4th down play.

An OL getting called for not lining up on the line of scrimmage after it had already been called once earlier in the game.

Not just this last game, not just just plays, and not just these players. Is it all coaching, or will some just not "get it"?

Should the players be required to attend Football 101? I would think actually playing would be a 400 level class, but maybe some snuck in without the prerequisites.

Very frustrating, and that is what has bothered me the most this year.

It's all coaching. The occasional fumble, or dumb penalty happens, it's unavoidable. But when it's constantly occurring like this virtually every game for a half decade, we can pretty much determine what the common denominator is. It's essentially an entirely different roster from 2008-09, yet it's the same shenanigans over and over again.

It's bothered me for 4 1/2 years, yet I've been very patient in thinking we'd progress, or "snap out of it" eventually. But it only seems to be getting worse. Something about that Northwestern game just got under my skin. It's hard to watch football like that. Not just because I'm a Nebraska fan, and I expect more out of them. Even if it's a game with two teams I don't really care about, it's just difficult to watch sloppy football.

It's all coaching. The occasional fumble, or dumb penalty happens, it's unavoidable. But when it's constantly occurring like this virtually every game for a half decade, we can pretty much determine what the common denominator is. It's essentially an entirely different roster from 2008-09, yet it's the same shenanigans over and over again.

It's bothered me for 4 1/2 years, yet I've been very patient in thinking we'd progress, or "snap out of it" eventually. But it only seems to be getting worse. Something about that Northwestern game just got under my skin. It's hard to watch football like that. Not just because I'm a Nebraska fan, and I expect more out of them. Even if it's a game with two teams I don't really care about, it's just difficult to watch sloppy football.

I agree. I didn't even watch the end of the game. I was that fed up. (first time I have ever been that frustrated watching football.) I didn't even know we won until about an hour after the game. My underwhelmed reaction was, "cool, I guess."

One by one, those are excusable errors. But cumulatively, they're troubling. Bo's all about "execution.' If I hear him use that word one more time I'm going to projectile vomit on his receding hairline. Don't TELL me about execution, get your players to freaking EXECUTE already.

It is frustrating. It drives me nuts. This team isn't even close to its potential. But I think Bo isn't close to his potential, either. And maybe because they've won three titles in my lifetime, I'm willing to be patient with Bo. Others... not so much.

Here's hoping he gets it sooner rather than later.

Be honest. They've won 5 titles in your lifetime.