Players that depressed.. Players that impressed.

From watching the game a second time, I was paying close attention to specific players. I could go through every player, but that would take for ever. So I'll only go with 3 players that I found depressing and 3 I found impressing.

Depressing

Taylor Martinez - The kid makes up his mind on where he goes with the football regardless of what the defense gives him way too often. Results in unnecessary INT's.

Chase Rome - He is sllllooowww. No push from him and he doesn't get double teamed.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste - He's in perfect position, but just can't go up to the highest point and get the football. Kid could and should be racking up INT's. He really is a WR yet playing as a DB. But I think he'll get better. Just got to keep playing.

Impressing

Taylor Martinez - Sure he makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes, but he's a play maker. If we don't have his legs in this game, we lose. Couple that with that clutch last game winning drive.. Kid is a stud.

Will Compton - Does a great job directing the defense. Sure tackler. Smart. He sniffed out that screen and almost had himself a pick.

Ameer Abdullah - Another 100+ yard game. Shifty and quick. For 185-190 lbs he's a tough runner. I was a bit worried when Burkhead got hurt early this season, but Abdullah has held his own.

What say you guys? Who's depressed and impressed you?

Impressed by Quincy Enunwa's toughness in coming back to make big catches and blocks after he gets hurt. Overall as a unit very impressed with our WRs--I can't remember a more talented and dependable WR unit at NU ever. The WRs Bo's first year (Swift, Peterson) had dependable hands, but not the quickness and speed of our guys this year. Their great catches and ability to get open downfield are what saved our seasons in the comeback wins against Northwestern and MSU. All of us remember the brick-handed receivers we had to deal with a few years ago, so it's really something to be thankful for this season. Great job coaching by Fisher.

Depressed by Maher's hot/cold kicking. Guess we got spoiled by having both long-range and accurate kicking the last few years. Seems like with Maher we sacrifice accuracy for the long-range big leg.

RB, WR's, and occasionally the QB position impressed me. On the other hand, the secondary has got to go up and make plays on the ball. I support the walk-on program, but seriously get Blachford out of the game. It's almost as if the coaches gave him the nod because of how he performed last year against Mich State. I would much rather have an athletic player out their making a few mistakes, than a player who knows what he's suppose to do, but just cant physically or athletically do it.

RB, WR's, and occasionally the QB position impressed me. On the other hand, the secondary has got to go up and make plays on the ball. I support the walk-on program, but seriously get Blachford out of the game. It's almost as if the coaches gave him the nod because of how he performed last year against Mich State. I would much rather have an athletic player out their making a few mistakes, than a player who knows what he's suppose to do, but just cant physically or athletically do it.

Uh oh

At least Blatchford made a play on the ball. More than you can say about Baptiste. If you want to complain about someone, complain about the underachievers in our secondary rather than a guy who has half the athletic talent but still made the play when it mattered.

The whole receiving core. I think by the end of the game we were pretty thin due to allowances on road games.

Tim had issues with his collar bone all day.

Enunwa had issues with what seemed to be his hand or head. Couldn't get a good read.

Kenny Bell seemed to have a concussion from the flip forward he caught and got 5 yards when a lineman comes in and hits his head. He seems wobbly after that. Then, after the final PI call, he seems disoriented and slow walking back to the line of scrimmage.

With all that, they fought through and made the plays when they needed.

At least Blatchford made a play on the ball. More than you can say about Baptiste. If you want to complain about someone, complain about the underachievers in our secondary rather than a guy who has half the athletic talent but still made the play when it mattered.

Yeah...You should probably thank Blatchford for helping win the game, because that is what he did. Helped us win!

Sirles played great today. More than held his own when matched up one on one with Ghoulston all day long. Also hustled down field to recover Taylor's fumble (looked to be down, tough to clearly overturn though), and that was huge. NU doesn't score on that drive but Sparty would have had great field position. Always thought Sirles should have been the starting tackle since day one.

On the flip side ARod and Justin Jackson arguably played their worse game of the year. ARod had the two false starts and let Ghoulston routinely penetrate deep into the back field. Easily could have been caught for holding many times especially onthat last drive.

Jackson is in the same boat. Usually saw him diving after a defender who blew by him almost trying to tackle them. Even the announcers saw this. The interior of the line had it's games where they get no push what so ever. You saw it today, you saw it last week. Stuff that can be shored up, and with lesser DLines coming up the next the Weeks I expect this to improve.