What we're up against... Penn State

hu5kers

Penn State Defense - 211.0 yards passing allowed/gm = 5.8 yards/pass

- 7 rushing TD's allowed all season

- 123.6 yards rushing allowed/gm = 3.6 yards/attempt

- 17.1 points against/gm

- 24 sacks this season

PSU has a pretty stout defense--ranked 14th in the nation in scoring D, giving up 17.1 ppg. That's a couple spots below Michigan State (16.3 ppg) and right between Michigan and Wisconsin. LINK

/btw, Meechicken State's scoring D is ranked a bit lower this week than last. If you know what I mean. lol :thumbs:

LB Michael Mauti (6'-2"; 232lbs) - 83 total tackles/season...2.5 sacks/season... 3 int's... 2 fumbles forced

LB Gerald Hodges (6'-2"; 237lbs) - 76 total tackles/season... 6 pass deflections

Their LBs were ranked #8 in the nation as a unit, by Athlon (pre-season). For what it's worth, Michigan State and Wisconsin's LBs were both ranked higher.

One can never be certain of such things, but... as impressive as some of the stats for Penn State are, they have come at the expense of some pretty mediocre competition. Their numbers look pretty good but one wonders how those numbers would look, especially defensively if they had faced better offenses.

They have won on the road too... but again... against weak teams.

The Huskers certainly have a sizable talent advantage over Penn State. And... over the vast majority of the teams Penn State has played to date.

We'll see... but if the Huskers play fairly well (without too many self inflicted wounds) Penn State should be over-matched.

And let's not forget - their schedule this year has been Teh Weak Ness. #62 SOS according to Sagarin.

but PSU is rated #30. Huskers is rated #21. BTW, I like Jeff Sagarin

That's their ranking in his system. His SOS is the number a little further to the right in the parentheses. He posts his key every ten rankings:

RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR

And let's not forget - their schedule this year has been Teh Weak Ness. #62 SOS according to Sagarin.

but PSU is rated #30. Huskers is rated #21. BTW, I like Jeff Sagarin

That's their ranking in his system. His SOS is the number a little further to the right in the parentheses. He posts his key every ten rankings:

RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR

Jeff Sagarin/USA Today ratings, a member of BCS committee, was kinda difficult to read for intro paragraphs but rating section was very interesting including SOS/vs top10-30/ELO Chess and Predictor columns. Five years ago, I tried to understand Jeff's formula via email. This response was not Jeff itself but top staffer said 80% super computer complicated formula with a whole bunch of variables and 20% "gut" feelings (human). I didn't care about AP, Harris and BCS computers polls at all except Sagarin.

http://usatoday30.us...garin/fbt12.htm