Fans in Michigan are disappointing

Think MSU fans should stop bringing up the Johnny Adams PF on the INT return. It's clear from that video above that Bell wasn't really running that hard to get back in the play and got ear holed for it seems no reason outside that he's our leading WR or he was facing Adams all game. It was targeting and they should ask why Adams was even making that sort of play in the first place.

But nope, let's just blame it on the refs.

I think people take the officiating way too far. Rarely should the ref's cost someone the game especially when considering subjective calls like PI, facemasking, defenseless player, etc. Five different officials could see the exact same play where three might call it one way and two the other or any number of combination. I'm not sure where the facemasking rules are these days. When I first started reffing, there was just one where it was 15 yards regardless of whether it was incidental or not. Then, they broke it down to two where one was 5 yards for incidental and the other was 15 for flagrant. Then, they took the five yarder away saying not to throw the flag on incidental. These are all subjective calls.

Ref's nowadays have to really worry about getting grilled by the conference and such for not throwing flags because of player safety. The biggest reason I haven't reffed a game in over a decade is because we were strongly encouraged back then to buy insurance for being sued because a player was severely injured back then on a completely legal hit. The family then tried to sue the ref's of that game. Player safety has taken a big toll on the game of football in my opinion. There's a lot of new penalties that have showed up in the past five years or so that I just don't agree with.

I'm probably one of the very few posters here who doesn't think we got screwed in the Big 12 Championship game against Texas. Other than isolated incidents like the one where CU got five downs against MIzzou, the refs seldom are a cause for a win or loss in a football game. While many thought we were getting screwed the last year or so in the Big 12, it kind of gets watered down now that we lead the B1G in penalties.

I'm one as well. There was 1 second left. Whether or not they had the authority to put that second on, is a different story. Right thing was done. Shouldntve came to that to begin with.

As am I. The kick out of bounds cost us the game IMO.

That and the border line PI call on Gomes I think it was. However, it still bugs me when a second and sometimes two runs off a clock on an imcomplete pass it happens all the time they should review the clock after every play. Also the Big 12 refs still protect the great Texas and OU. Last week I was at the ISU/OU game and their were terrible calls that went OU's way.

I think people take the officiating way too far. Rarely should the ref's cost someone the game especially when considering subjective calls like PI, facemasking, defenseless player, etc. Five different officials could see the exact same play where three might call it one way and two the other or any number of combination. I'm not sure where the facemasking rules are these days. When I first started reffing, there was just one where it was 15 yards regardless of whether it was incidental or not. Then, they broke it down to two where one was 5 yards for incidental and the other was 15 for flagrant. Then, they took the five yarder away saying not to throw the flag on incidental. These are all subjective calls.

Ref's nowadays have to really worry about getting grilled by the conference and such for not throwing flags because of player safety. The biggest reason I haven't reffed a game in over a decade is because we were strongly encouraged back then to buy insurance for being sued because a player was severely injured back then on a completely legal hit. The family then tried to sue the ref's of that game. Player safety has taken a big toll on the game of football in my opinion. There's a lot of new penalties that have showed up in the past five years or so that I just don't agree with.

I'm probably one of the very few posters here who doesn't think we got screwed in the Big 12 Championship game against Texas. Other than isolated incidents like the one where CU got five downs against MIzzou, the refs seldom are a cause for a win or loss in a football game. While many thought we were getting screwed the last year or so in the Big 12, it kind of gets watered down now that we lead the B1G in penalties.

I'm one as well. There was 1 second left. Whether or not they had the authority to put that second on, is a different story. Right thing was done. Shouldntve came to that to begin with.

That and the border line PI call on Gomes I think it was. However, it still bugs me when a second and sometimes two runs off a clock on an imcomplete pass it happens all the time they should review the clock after every play. Also the Big 12 refs still protect the great Texas and OU. Last week I was at the ISU/OU game and their were terrible calls that went OU's way.

I don't remember a PI call, but Asante got a legit horsecollar on that final drive as well.

I don't remember a PI call, but Asante got a legit horsecollar on that final drive as well.

Nevermind that's the one, but yes it was legit. I think I was thinking about a call the next year.... we had more problems than a PI call though lol

Contributing is for pansies. Complaining and bickering is where it's REALLY at these days....

:sarcasm

Been off the board for some time but saw the Ponie sing up in the shed a while ago. I have too say, I am on my 85 year old mothers computer with handicap visuals waiting for her to call (after I dropped her off at her eye doctors) and thought I would check out the board and that sig was outrageous. You can only imagine the size, thought I was in Vegas. Nice

Nebraska fans circa '09-'10 puts anything Michigan fans have been doing this season to shame. I highly suggest to leave it alone, stop trying to justify it and just be glad Nebraska was good enough to put themselves in a position to win the game and took advantage of mistakes by the opposition. Nothing is going to change their minds, but who cares. The record book says Nebraska 7-2 MSU 5-5.

BRING ON PENN ST!

Funny you should mention that... I was going to mention in my original post that I'd hate to see what MSU fans would do if presented with an Neb-A&M-esque performance by the refs. Were Nebraska fans whining in 09-10.. yes... but we were whining about 1) subjects that nearly destroyed B12 (and certainly reshaped the landscape of college football) 2) being subjected to an unprofessional incompetent buffoon of a commissioner. If Beebe had a shred of integrity, the whining would of been reduced. As it stood, it was unclear if Beebe would take time to arrange the reffing of the A&M game. I like to think no.. but that guy did some strange stuff that year.

We? Probably you. I wasn't whining. Any good team will overcome penalties, we simply beat our self in the TAMU game. We had opportunities to put points on the field, we didn't.

Let go of the past, it is almost 2013. Officiating didn't almost cost us the game against MSU. If you want to look at it that way, it also helped us win. The HUSKERS left a lot of points on the field, and the defense was non existent in the rush attack. We are to blame it was so close. They played dirty, but its not like we didn't have a player out there making us look like buffoons (Stafford). Flipping off the MSU sideline and grabbing his crotch towards the fans is not any better than their dirty tactics.

My mistake, Nebraska collective - HuskerNationNick.. oh wait, apparently you don't understand all the uses of we... as in "We voted in the president".. not meaning that you actually voted for the president.

Nebraska fans circa '09-'10 puts anything Michigan fans have been doing this season to shame. I highly suggest to leave it alone, stop trying to justify it and just be glad Nebraska was good enough to put themselves in a position to win the game and took advantage of mistakes by the opposition. Nothing is going to change their minds, but who cares. The record book says Nebraska 7-2 MSU 5-5.

BRING ON PENN ST!

Funny you should mention that... I was going to mention in my original post that I'd hate to see what MSU fans would do if presented with an Neb-A&M-esque performance by the refs. Were Nebraska fans whining in 09-10.. yes... but we were whining about 1) subjects that nearly destroyed B12 (and certainly reshaped the landscape of college football) 2) being subjected to an unprofessional incompetent buffoon of a commissioner. If Beebe had a shred of integrity, the whining would of been reduced. As it stood, it was unclear if Beebe would take time to arrange the reffing of the A&M game. I like to think no.. but that guy did some strange stuff that year.

What was the penalty disparity for the officiating crew that handled the Texass, aTm, and Iowa State games...something like 36-9 against Nebraska, IIRC...

I'm sorry, but if a crew has *that* much of a disparity in only three games...they're doing something wrong, and likely on purpose.

• Fire 2

We? Probably you. I wasn't whining. Any good team will overcome penalties, we simply beat our self in the TAMU game. We had opportunities to put points on the field, we didn't.

My mistake, Nebraska collective - HuskerNationNick.. oh wait, apparently you don't understand all the uses of we... as in "We voted in the president".. not meaning that you actually voted for the president.

When you say we, that generalizes most of the Nebraska fan base, and the Husker fans I know, who are realists, were not whining, and there are many fans on here, that I don't know, who didn't and don't whine. I was just pointing out, just like others in this thread, that we are not part of that "We". You shouldn't get bent out of shape over a disagreement. I would agree some or most of the Husker fan base were and still are cry babies over all of that.