Ross Els

lionsfan93

Being that I am the only one who thinks that Els needs to go, I can own up and say that my opinion was wrong. I still think he has much to prove though.

Opinions are never right nor wrong. It was just disagreed with on a near unanimous circumstance. He does have much prove, as with everyone on the staff. They're not there yet.

Being that I am the only one who thinks that Els needs to go, I can own up and say that my opinion was wrong. I still think he has much to prove though.

Kudos, not many can do that. I am someone who looks at things one sided as well. Towards the beginning of the season, I thought Barney Cotton should go, but when looking at the picture, we may have miscues up front, but they are doing an exceptionally good job.

#7 in total Rush yards, #3 in rush yards/attempt and we have not faced pancake teams like some of the teams above us.

So...he's responsible for shanking punts and shanking field goals? Maybe Maher is just having a bad year?

As for Linebackers...2 of our linebackers are having STANDOUT years in making stops and we have another who has a possibility of being a stud next year. I'm not seeing our problem with our linebackers (other than lack of closing speed...soon to be remedied by recruits).

Els is also a NOTORIOUSLY AWESOME recruiter....so I'm not sure where you find fault there. Sure our specials teams took a small step back...but how much of that is out of the coaches hands?

I didn't even bring Maher into the question because I don't think that is Els's fault. But finding one player on your team that can catch a punt? Yes, that lands squarely on his plate. And which linebackers are having a standout year? Yes, Compton leads the team in tackles. But your linebackers need to be your leading tacklers. Our Safetys are our number 2 and 3 on the team. And Els is a "notoriously awesome" recruiter? Says who? Please give me some examples.

The best players on the team are dropping punts. No one is immune to it. I thought Marlowe was pretty reliable, which is why he was probably back there, and he dropped one.

How would you coach catching a punt?

Opinions are never right nor wrong. It was just disagreed with on a near unanimous circumstance. He does have much prove, as with everyone on the staff. They're not there yet.

You're wrong :sarcasm

Youre right. Dont make me pony this bitch.

So...he's responsible for shanking punts and shanking field goals? Maybe Maher is just having a bad year?

As for Linebackers...2 of our linebackers are having STANDOUT years in making stops and we have another who has a possibility of being a stud next year. I'm not seeing our problem with our linebackers (other than lack of closing speed...soon to be remedied by recruits).

Els is also a NOTORIOUSLY AWESOME recruiter....so I'm not sure where you find fault there. Sure our specials teams took a small step back...but how much of that is out of the coaches hands?

I didn't even bring Maher into the question because I don't think that is Els's fault. But finding one player on your team that can catch a punt? Yes, that lands squarely on his plate. And which linebackers are having a standout year? Yes, Compton leads the team in tackles. But your linebackers need to be your leading tacklers. Our Safetys are our number 2 and 3 on the team. And Els is a "notoriously awesome" recruiter? Says who? Please give me some examples.

The best players on the team are dropping punts. No one is immune to it. I thought Marlowe was pretty reliable, which is why he was probably back there, and he dropped one.

How would you coach catching a punt?

That's got to be a mental thing.... if you try different guys and they're all doing it. Either than or the coverage is bad enough to the point that they're worried about getting creamed.

That's got to be a mental thing.... if you try different guys and they're all doing it. Either than or the coverage is bad enough to the point that they're worried about getting creamed.

Its called being "impatient". They are trying to find a gap to hit before the ball gets there, and when the ball hits their hands, they try to hit that gap before they have complete control of the ball. Each one of our Punt Returners are young, and that comes with having players that are still maturing. The only player who doesn't fit this "young player" status is Marlowe, but with his injury, he should have never been out there, in my opinion. I think he was more afraid of being hit than anything else.

whaley still can't cover a cross route. shouldn't be on the field. tired of seeing him getting picked on 3-4 times a game for 10 yards.

Well then Martinez shouldnt be on the field because he throws 5-10 incomplete passes a game. Abdullah shouldnt be on the field because he loses yardage on 3-5 plays per game. Our entire o line should be benched because they all miss a few blocks a game. Compon should not be on the field becuase he.........

Cmon man. No one is 100% perfect at what they do. There's a lot of give and take and doing the best you can situationally. If there was someone better than Whaley, they would be playing. No, there is no doghouse.

Whaley has improved tremendously throughout the year. I cant find the justification in criticizing him too much.

whaley still can't cover a cross route. shouldn't be on the field. tired of seeing him getting picked on 3-4 times a game for 10 yards.

Whaley has improved tremendously throughout the year. I cant find the justification in criticizing him too much.

Agree 100%. Whaley is needed, and has proved himself since the UCLA game. He has worked a lot on his fundamentals and has done a very good job since. Alonzo Whaley is our 4th leading tackler.

Makes sense to take him off the field :rolleyes:

Compton #1, Stafford #2, Smith #3, Whaley #4, Steinkuhler #5

Whaley- 8 Games

All season: 45 tackles

Compton- 10 Games

All season: 82 tackles

Fisher- 7 Games

All season: 34 tackles

Santos- 5 games

All season: 21 tackles

Well then Martinez shouldnt be on the field because he throws 5-10 incomplete passes a game. Abdullah shouldnt be on the field because he loses yardage on 3-5 plays per game. Our entire o line should be benched because they all miss a few blocks a game. Compon should not be on the field becuase he.........

Cmon man. No one is 100% perfect at what they do. There's a lot of give and take and doing the best you can situationally. If there was someone better than Whaley, they would be playing. No, there is no doghouse.

he's improved. but considering where he started that isn't saying too much. he's still a liability out there. in my opinion more so than santos. i'd rather have a few freshman mistakes than a consistent inability to perform a central piece of your position. it means 5 other guys are compensating for this every down that he's on the field. i'm shocked teams haven't exposed him more than they have. every time we see someone run that cross route against whaley it's a given they are gaining a 1st down. you saw it 3-4 times against penn state. i just cant' wrap my mind around how a D1 LBer for a top 15 team can't step up and stick that guy and throw him off his route. He didn't even see them coming half the time. Deer in headlights. And he knows it's coming. The whole stadium knows it's coming.

Agree 100%. Whaley is needed, and has proved himself since the UCLA game. He has worked a lot on his fundamentals and has done a very good job since. Alonzo Whaley is our 4th leading tackler.

Makes sense to take him off the field :rolleyes:

Compton #1, Stafford #2, Smith #3, Whaley #4, Steinkuhler #5

Whaley- 8 Games

All season: 45 tackles

Compton- 10 Games

All season: 82 tackles

Fisher- 7 Games

All season: 34 tackles

Santos- 5 games

All season: 21 tackles

i keep forgetting that your forgo watching the games so you can retreat to your stat lines.

i keep forgetting that your forgo watching the games so you can retreat to your stat lines.

Wow, lets go to a personal attack and try to insult someone's intelligence why don't we? How about I knew he was one of our leading tacklers, and I got stats to prove my statement, so people like yourself can't deny the FACTS? I am sorry I like to back up my statements. How about you?

Are you talking about receivers?

Can't expect an LB to stay with a receiver across the field.

If a nickel back is getting abused like that, that's an issue (to an extent -- receivers get open sometimes. It's the nature of the game). When LBs get beat by slot receivers over and over again, it's scheme that's being exploited.

• Fire 1