Is Callahan interested in the NFL?

Capp

Does anybody else think that maybe Coach C is interested in one of the NFL jobs that is going to open up. The Detroit job is open, I think the St. Louis job will open up, and I would imagine one or two more might open up. I hope he can keep this staff together and get us back where we need to be.

Capp

Callahan isn't going anywhere. I doubt he would JUMP at a NFL coordinator position when he is head of one of the biggest college football programs that there is, especially since it is a work in progress. The only way Callahan would go back to a coordinator position is if he gets fired here, and I don't see that happening for at least a few years if ever.

Maybe for a coordinator position, but he would have to prove himself better than he has as a head coach to be considered.

billy c will return to the NFL someday, likely as a coordinator. IMO, if he does turn this thing around, he will look at any NFL offer that comes his way, and most likely take it.

Sadly, I think that is the way some of the trendy coaches are leaning right now. ALthough everyone denies it out here. I am sure that Carroll will go back to the NFL, I just think some team will dangle enough cash out there where even he will give up the once in a lifetime run he's had. Stoops? Maybe, I think he's still running on his 2000 season a little bit. Hell, maybe in 7 years or so Weis could be offered something absolutely ridiculous if he can keep it up. If parity is truly going to permeate the D-1 ranks, then coaching is going to be a top priority on both levels and the coaches will become mercenaries for 4-5 years.

While I still have my doubts Callahan can put it all together, if he does, we better enjoy it while it lasts, or he really might be the next Carroll

Callahan isn't going anywhere. I doubt he would JUMP at a NFL coordinator position when he is head of one of the biggest college football programs that there is, especially since it is a work in progress. The only way Callahan would go back to a coordinator position is if he gets fired here, and I don't see that happening for at least a few years if ever.

:yeah I pretty much feel the same way, you just said it better than I did. I do think that he is an NFL guy and will return someday. It all hinges on how his time at NU goes. If it goes well-NFL HC, if he gets fired-NFL assistant, IMO.

Pete Carroll hasn't shown much interest in returning (that i know of) and he's certainly proved himself at NCAA level.

Its impossible to predict such things but a couple things to consider:

When he was hired, one of the descriptions of BC was that he loves traditional atmospheres, and few if any NFL teams have traditions that can rival college teams (maybe the Packers, maybe).

Also, one has to wonder if his NFL head coaching experience wasn't spoiled. Considering his last NFL team was plagued with MEMEMEME egos like Charles Woodson and he was part of an organization micromanaged by an owner that probably should have committed years ago.

I do think that he is an NFL guy

I got the opposite impression, mainly because of the tradition thing i mentioned above but who the heck knows.

maybe he's just and Football Guy.. or a whoever-pays-the-most kinda guy.

Now, Norvell on the other hand, I can definately see returning to the NFL eventually.

There's two reasons guys jump back to the NFL: money and less headaches. Hear me out on this one.

Only the biggest of the big in college can compete with the NFL money wise. What is BC making right now? He could probably double or triple it if the NFL comes calling again. Also, a lot of coaches prefer the NFL because it is simpler in a lot of ways. Not the gameplans by any means, or the amount of time put in. But NFL coaches don't have to deal with recruiting or to babysit their players (at least they shouldn't have to). They don't necessarily deal with the character development of their players and without school, the players can devote all their time to football, making it easier to implement whatever schemes the coach wants.

There's two reasons guys jump back to the NFL: money and less headaches. Hear me out on this one.

Only the biggest of the big in college can compete with the NFL money wise. What is BC making right now? He could probably double or triple it if the NFL comes calling again.

Callahan makes around $1.25-1.4 million ayear. He made about $800,000 a year as Oakland's head coach.

i have heard a few names for the detroit job, and none of them even point towards callahan alil... i think they want someobdy who is in the nfl right now, thats not sayin that those coaches will look at the college ranks for coordinators, but come on... really, i would make bill prove himself in college before bringin him back up.

I think Nebraska can match any amount the NFL would offer him if they did come calling. Don't know if they would thou. I think if coach C gets this program where he wants it, it would have to be a heck of an offer to get him out of here. I think he likes the rapport with the players at this level.

GBR!!!