Nepotism

Yeah I think Mark Pelini starting at center had less to do with nepotism, and more to do with lousy recruiting.

On the other hand, would that guy be on the roster if he didn't share a surname with the head coach? That's debatable.

He came here as a walk on, so if he's playing I'm pretty sure he's earned his spot. Now whether or not that's a reflection of recruiting development or both is another issue.

I don't like it. When I played football in HS the coaches kid was the featured back and got more than his share of the carries. We had a good team, and other guys got the ball, and we rushed for a zillion yards, but in the back of my mind I know that most of the guys on the team (including me) thought that the only reason that coaches kid got all those carries was because his father was the HC. The kid was a good kid and a decent player, but he was by far not the best back on the team. There were 3 guys on the roster that were better than him.

My Son went to HS and played football. The program (and all the athletic programs at the school) practiced nepotism to the extreem...."if you had a reletive in a position of power you were pretty much penciled in an employee, or you were given preferrential treatment if you were an athelete. That school is the worst in their conference at just about everything. They totally suck, and have sucked since I moved here (Chicago suburb) in 1990.

I see the Pelini kid got the start at center on Saturday...over the other kid he was competing against. I wonder how the team feels about that?

I like Ben Cotton as a TE....through his career he has been a steady performer - I'm glad he's a Husker. Aren't there some other Cotton's on the roster? Scholerships?

IMO....kids should go out and make their own mark in society. Don' be following parents or uncles around...it just doesn't look good. The purpose to growing up is going out in the world and taking what your family tought you and use it to bring a positive experience to others.

Seriously? How many ALL AMERICAN NFL players have we had that have "followed" their uncles fathers cousins around?