Gun Control

Roark

who the hell wants to get rid of all guns? who honestly believes that is the goal? no one wants to prevent people from hunting or even self-protection. how does universal background checks or limiting clip capacity threaten to take away all guns?

knapp said it a couple pages ago

i am not going to look it up, you should quote it.

I don't think the issue is fading away. I think people are really, really tired of wanton gun violence, and I think that if the politicians in Washington don't get their sh#t straight pretty soon, they're going to be finding themselves out of jobs.

Sandy Hook was a last straw for people. I'll vote anti-gun from now on based on that incident. I think we should have guns, but I think we're finding that we're not responsible enough to have guns. I'm 100% fine with guns going away. We don't need them, no matter how cool they are.

Here it is, and it's what set me off on this thread. (I added the bold)

It is what it is, an all out attack on the 2nd amendment.

:lol:

This is how radicalized the American right has become. It'd be even funnier if I wasn't concerned about the consequences down the road.

I'm almost with the NRA on some gun issues, but even I realize this is FAR from an all out attack on the 2nd amendment.

It's especially ridiculous when the most likely change (universal background checks) was explicitly endorsed by the NRA a decade ago. They've flip flopped . . . and apparently the base is joining them.

I don't think the issue is fading away. I think people are really, really tired of wanton gun violence, and I think that if the politicians in Washington don't get their sh#t straight pretty soon, they're going to be finding themselves out of jobs.

Sandy Hook was a last straw for people. I'll vote anti-gun from now on based on that incident. I think we should have guns, but I think we're finding that we're not responsible enough to have guns. I'm 100% fine with guns going away. We don't need them, no matter how cool they are.

where does he say he thinks that will, or even should, happen?

also, he says he thinks we should have guns.

It's neither realistic nor practical for all guns to go away. I threw in a little hyperbole because I wasn't interested in defining exactly what guns should be banned.

So if that's what set you off, you have a pretty short fuse (and probably shouldn't be owning a gun). - note, this was a joke. ;)

The NRA has backed background checks, and so do I. But what they have recently resisted is "universal" background checks, AKA "closing the gunshow loophole", which has nothing to do with gun shows, but is a ban on private person to person transfer of firearms.

It's neither realistic nor practical for all guns to go away. I threw in a little hyperbole because I wasn't interested in defining exactly what guns should be banned.

So if that's what set you off, you have a pretty short fuse (and probably shouldn't be owning a gun).

that is like me saying, 'i am 100% fine with all fast food restaurants going away', before they were forced to display their products' calorie content and someone freaking out that any regulation to fast food would inevitably lead to its ultimate demise.

would i care if fast food was banned? no. does that mean that is what legislators are trying to do or even could do if they wanted to? no.

The NRA has backed background checks, and so do I. But what they have recently resisted is "universal" background checks, AKA "closing the gunshow loophole", which has nothing to do with gun shows, but is a ban on private person to person transfer of firearms.

not a ban, a regulation.

Ten years ago. Today... not so much. In fact, they're 100% against them.

LaPierre: Fed Call For Background Checks "Will Be Used To Confiscate Your Guns"

“This so-called background check is aimed at one thing — registering your guns,” he said. “When another tragic opportunity presents itself, that registry will be used to confiscate your guns … Imagine right now your name on a massive government list.”

“Picture this: your name, your address on a map giving directions to your home that could include a list of all the specific firearms you own,” LaPierre said. “That’s a pretty handy list if you’re a seasoned criminal or a drug dealer or a gang member, isn’t it? How safe do you think that government list would be?”

LaPierre received a standing ovation after delivering the keynote address at the annual Western Hunting and Conservation Expo — and warning gun owners to remain vigilant.

Of course, that's in direct odds with his statement in 1999:

“We think it’s reasonable to provide mandatory instant background checks for every sale at every gun show. No loopholes anywhere, for anyone,” NRA head Wayne LaPierre said in May 1999, shortly after the shooting at Columbine. That video resurfaced recently and was played last night in a Super Bowl ad funded by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a gun control group lead by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

What really offends me is slimebag politicians on one side using a tragedy to further an adgenda which includes total bans on all firearms. So I'm forced to support the slimebag politicians who oppose them in order to force a stalemate.

Knapp, I think you've overstepped what you know about me in stating I shouldn't have a gun. I don't have a short fuse in that I would never raise a hand against anyone except in self defense. But I am politically passionate on some issues.

Knapp, I think you've overstepped what you know about me in stating I shouldn't have a gun. I don't have a short fuse in that I would never raise a hand against anyone except in self defense. But I am politically passionate on some issues.

Sorry - I thought that was obviously a joke. It wasn't so obvious, apparently. To be clear - I was joking. I'm sure you're more than responsible enough to own a firearm.

What really offends me is slimebag politicians on one side using a tragedy to further an adgenda which includes total bans on all firearms. So I'm forced to support the slimebag politicians who oppose them in order to force a stalemate.

who is propagating a total ban on all firearms? whose agenda is that?

The NRA is the mouthpiece of the gun manufacturing industry. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-industry-funds-nra-2013-1

In its early days, the National Rifle Association was a grassroots social club that prided itself on independence from corporate influence.

While that is still part of the organization's core function, today less than half of the NRA's revenues come from program fees and membership dues.

The bulk of the group's money now comes in the form of contributions, grants, royalty income, and advertising, much of it originating from gun industry sources.

Since 2005, the gun industry and its corporate allies have given between $20 million and $52.6 million to it through the NRA Ring of Freedom sponsor program. Donors include firearm companies like Midway USA, Springfield Armory Inc, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, and Beretta USA Corporation. Other supporters from the gun industry include Cabala's, Sturm Rugar & Co, and Smith & Wesson.

The NRA also made $20.9 million — about 10 percent of its revenue — from selling advertising to industry companies marketing products in its many publications in 2010, according to the IRS Form 990.

Just out of curiosity could you name some of those politicians who are furthering an agenda on a total firearms ban?

Registration of person to person transfers creates in effect a gun registration, in itself a key component of banning guns. I'm much more concerned about the concepts of registration and the concept of "approved purposes" and showing "need" that are usually put into the "common sense" argument.