Gun Control

Roark

I can honestly say that all my life, I maybe have been around two gun owners that I didn't think was responsible.

I know 3 people who have shot themselves in the foot. I know another who was drinking while hunting, fell and discharged his 12 gauge right next to his head. My brother accidentally shot his rifle in my dad's van while coon hunting. I've seen a drunk guy standing from the road shooting all over the place around his buddie's feet who was running around out in a field trying to shoot a raccoon. Of all the people I've hung out with and actually saw their gun cabinets down in their basements, none were locked. They were all the old style cabinets made of oak or similar and 90% glass in the front(not too difficult to get a gun if you wanted one). One of them probably has 100 guns in his house, none locked. Most are just stashed underneath beds or wherever he can find space for them. BTW, he has young grandchildren in his house all the time. And his ammo is laying all over the place just like the guns.

Do these sound like responsible people to you? I'm sure there are a lot of responsible gun owners out there, but I just don't happen to know too many. The few responsible ones I know happen to sit right by me at work.

You hang around some really stupid people.

2ab4ea903563d14575b29612f0637c18.jpg

• Fire 3

I can honestly say that all my life, I maybe have been around two gun owners that I didn't think was responsible.

I know 3 people who have shot themselves in the foot. I know another who was drinking while hunting, fell and discharged his 12 gauge right next to his head. My brother accidentally shot his rifle in my dad's van while coon hunting. I've seen a drunk guy standing from the road shooting all over the place around his buddie's feet who was running around out in a field trying to shoot a raccoon. Of all the people I've hung out with and actually saw their gun cabinets down in their basements, none were locked. They were all the old style cabinets made of oak or similar and 90% glass in the front(not too difficult to get a gun if you wanted one). One of them probably has 100 guns in his house, none locked. Most are just stashed underneath beds or wherever he can find space for them. BTW, he has young grandchildren in his house all the time. And his ammo is laying all over the place just like the guns.

Do these sound like responsible people to you? I'm sure there are a lot of responsible gun owners out there, but I just don't happen to know too many. The few responsible ones I know happen to sit right by me at work.

You hang around some really stupid people.

2ab4ea903563d14575b29612f0637c18.jpg

LOL. You're probably right. Because I really feel like I've turned into a dummy since moving up north.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/senate-gun-control-deal-rejected-90225.html?hp=t1_3

The Senate has rejected a bipartisan proposal to expand background checks on gun sales, handing President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders a major defeat on one of the key pieces of the president’s second-term agenda.

The vote was 54-46, with only four Republicans crossing the aisle and voting with the Democrats in favor of the bipartisan proposal by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.). Sixty votes were needed.

Keep the guns out of the hands of felons and crazy people, they say. I get the sense that they just want gun salesmen to guess who those people are?

Keep the guns out of the hands of felons and crazy people, they say. I get the sense that they just want gun salesmen to guess who those people are?

I thought gun dealers already have to do background checks. Is that not the case?

Not for online or gun show purchases. That's right, any idiot with a credit card can buy a gun online.

After all, the "gun show loophole" — the shorthand expression for exempting a number of gun buyers from background checks — is much more than a gun show loophole. The image of two guy shaking hands to finalize a sale in a crowded, well-lit conference hall is misleading. It's also an online loophole, that lets websites conduct or facilitate sales between people with varying levels of anonymity and legal ability to do so. Unlike at a gun show, online buyers don't even need to leave home.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/04/why-arent-gun-control-advocates-focusing-more-online-sales/64321/

http://www.politico....25.html?hp=t1_3

The Senate has rejected a bipartisan proposal to expand background checks on gun sales, handing President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders a major defeat on one of the key pieces of the president’s second-term agenda.

The vote was 54-46, with only four Republicans crossing the aisle and voting with the Democrats in favor of the bipartisan proposal by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.). Sixty votes were needed.

Props to the four that had the balls to cross the aisle.

I guess, but it really isn't that bold. 90% of Americans support universal background checks on gun sales. Yet just over 50% of congress does.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57568149/poll-9-in-10-americans-support-background-checks/

As the White House continues its campaign to build support for stronger national gun laws, a new poll shows that the overwhelming majority of Americans - 92 percent - support the idea of background checks for all gun buyers.

The Quinnipiac University poll, conducted among 1,772 registered voters from Jan. 30-Feb. 4, showed that support among those living in a gun-owning household was almost equally high: 91 percent of those voters said they support universal background checks.

Since when did 90% of Americans agree on anything?

I guess, but it really isn't that bold. 90% of Americans support universal background checks on gun sales. Yet just over 50% of congress does.

http://www.cbsnews.c...kground-checks/

As the White House continues its campaign to build support for stronger national gun laws, a new poll shows that the overwhelming majority of Americans - 92 percent - support the idea of background checks for all gun buyers.

The Quinnipiac University poll, conducted among 1,772 registered voters from Jan. 30-Feb. 4, showed that support among those living in a gun-owning household was almost equally high: 91 percent of those voters said they support universal background checks.

Since when did 90% of Americans agree on anything?

Well, that's a pretty small sample size and I have my doubts as to how representative that figure is. Nearly everyone I know here in MN thinks background checks are a waste of time.

Keep in mind most of these folks are gun owners where I live. Many of them go to the gun range frequently and participate in local shooting competitions. I suppose they oppose it as it may think it will cause delays when they want to buy a new toy. Even the chicks up here are into this sh#t. It's different than what I saw back home in Nebraska.