Walkon - OT Dustin Glaser

Looks like probably a guard or center. Just dont think tall enough for OT. We have finally seemed to figure out we need tall OTs with good feet. Took awhile but think they finally got it. Need the length to make pass rush take longer routes.

Finally? Which of our tackles have been short? We've brought in a string of 6'6 or taller linemen in the pelini era. Givens price (6'4) is the only tackle under 6'6, and I think there was some thought early on that he'd be a center. Even the majority of our guard recruits have been 6'5 or taller.

Looks like probably a guard or center. Just dont think tall enough for OT. We have finally seemed to figure out we need tall OTs with good feet. Took awhile but think they finally got it. Need the length to make pass rush take longer routes.

Finally? Which of our tackles have been short? We've brought in a string of 6'6 or taller linemen in the pelini era. Givens price (6'4) is the only tackle under 6'6, and I think there was some thought early on that he'd be a center. Even the majority of our guard recruits have been 6'5 or taller.

Yes we've had a few 6'6 types, but the taller the better OTs they've been. Marcel Jones, Qvale, Sirles. We are definitely targeting more guys now that are 6'7+ now than we have in the past and i dont feel its coincidence. Look at our past rosters. Mostly OL are at the tallest are 6'6 maybe a 6'7 guy here or there. We need some tall boys with good wing spans.

A few? Look at the recruiting classes. They're all 6'6 or taller. Is 6'6 too short? Because that's how tall sirles is, and I don't think the extra inch that marcel and qvale have is revolutionizing anything. We've been recruiting tall linemen since cotton got here. Here's all the tackles we've signed under this staff:

2008:

Thompson 6'6

Grant 6'6

2009:

Sirles 6'6

Coffey 6'7

Qvale 6'7

Arod 6'6

Hardrick 6'7

Moore 6'6

Sterup 6'8

Price 6'4

None (I think both are slated for interior spots)

You could include a few others that may have been recruited for tackle - steinkuhler, moudy, cotton, that were all 6'6 or taller.

As I said, the only exception is price and I think he was recruited to play inside and may yet. Seems pretty clear that we figured out we wanted length at tackle a long time ago.

6'6 isn't tall these days. I'm talking about 6'8+ being the new norm for OTs. Truthfully, Sirles and Qvale are serviceable OTs, but they would probably be better suited for inside. ARod is not an OT. Moore is gone. Hardrick was okay. Half the guys you listed haven't seen the field. I just don't believe we've recruited bigger guys hard enough in the past like a Cochran or Knevel this year. I just believe the coaches are leaning more towards the 6'7+ guys now for OTs and trying to keep the 6'6- guys on the inside more unless they have unbelievable footwork.

Could be that we're focusing on it more, but I doubt it. Seems pretty clear that we've recruited plenty of tall guys and will continue to (and yes, 6'6 is plenty tall for a tackle.)

How many 6'8 kids that can actually play do you think are out there? What do you think the average height of nfl tackles is?

Could be that we're focusing on it more, but I doubt it. Seems pretty clear that we've recruited plenty of tall guys and will continue to (and yes, 6'6 is plenty tall for a tackle.)

How many 6'8 kids that can actually play do you think are out there? What do you think the average height of nfl tackles is?

yeah, my Dallas cowboys were playing Doig Free at LT before moving him to RT this past year. My hand to God, he is only 6'2"!

You know to be completely honest I'm not sure about height for other teams and I'm too lazy to do the research, but I guess it just seems like we are targeting much taller OL than normal and I am one who likes it. I just remember being at all the games this year and thinking how much larger other OLs seemed compared to us, but that very well might have been b/c our DL was so small. But even comparing them to our OL ours seemed small. Meatchicken was one team who's OL seemed to dwarf ours, along with Wisconsin. I really think the heights of many of our OL may be a little enhanced, and I understand other teams do it as well, but when I see other OLs they are just bigger than ours.

Other than center recently, we've rolled out pretty big lines. FYI, by my math, the average height of starting nfl left tackles is just under 6'6. I didn't look at right tackles or backups.

I agree, btw, that taller is better, all things else being equal. But height isn't everything. Incognito might have been the best tackle we've had recently and I think he was 6'3.