**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

The Flower with the skate blade save:

fleurykicksave3.11.14.gif

Imma be honest...looks to me like a very plausible argument could be made that the post aided in that save, maybe even more than the skate blade did. I only saw one quick highlight of it and then this .gif and its inconclusive to me but could be...

The Flower with the skate blade save:

fleurykicksave3.11.14.gif

Imma be honest...looks to me like a very plausible argument could be made that the post aided in that save, maybe even more than the skate blade did. I only saw one quick highlight of it and then this .gif and its inconclusive to me but could be...

At the angle though, I think it would have still gone in

GMs want to focus on faceoffs

The NHL general managers formed a consensus to recommend two changes on faceoffs. One recommendation will be to move the hash marks from three feet apart to five feet apart, similar to the Olympic rules, to prevent the jostling for position along the boards that often happens before the drop of a puck.

"And [it] allows the quicker player to to get to the puck and generate scoring chances," said Blues GM Doug Armstrong, who proposed the move to IIHF hashmarks.

The other change will be a recommendation that moves the player taking the faceoff back 12 to 18 inches after a violation is committed rather than kick them out of the circle completely. The second violation remains a two-minute penalty, one that is rarely called.

That helps prevent the strategy of sending in a winger whose only goal is to get kicked out of the faceoff circle before the center is sent in to win a faceoff.

A Cold War Philly Beatdown, Illustrated

The story follows the Flyers' Ed Van Impe on game day as CSKA heads to South Philly on the last leg of a North American tour. The Soviets were undefeated before meeting the two-time defending champions in the Spectrum. The Flyers, being the Flyers, play a physical game, culminating with a devastating check from Van Impe that leaves Valeri Kharlamov doubled over on the ice. The Soviets leave the ice in protest, delaying the game 17 minutes before coming back out. They'd lose the game 4-1.

The story follows the Flyers' Ed Van Impe on game day as CSKA heads to South Philly on the last leg of a North American tour. The Soviets were undefeated before meeting the two-time defending champions in the Spectrum. The Flyers, being the Flyers, play a physical game, culminating with a devastating check from Van Impe that leaves Valeri Kharlamov doubled over on the ice. The Soviets leave the ice in protest, delaying the game 17 minutes before coming back out. They'd lose the game 4-1.

I had only heard bits and pieces about this, nice find...

That was the team with Ogie Oglethorpe, right? :ahhhhhhhh

That was some real man's hockey right there. No helmets. Wonder if those flows and fros provided any protection. LOL.

That was the team with Ogie Oglethorpe, right? :ahhhhhhhh

That was some real man's hockey right there. No helmets. Wonder if those flows and fros provided any protection. LOL.

Didn't he play with Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown?