2001 Miami vs 1995 Nebraska

gin_32

Miami - They had everyone under the sun of talent and yet they were considered one of the best team in college football? Nice NFL Talent...but they had some really close calls with Boston College and even Eric Crouch wasn't to bad against that team.

Not even Close....1995 NU team would steam rolled that 2001 team...but that's my opinion....what is ...

yours?

Taking nothing away from the 2001 Miami team because that team rightly deserves to be considered one of the best. However, what separates 1995 Nebraska from 2001 Miami is that Nebraska was never in danger of losing a game. Ever. The game was usually decided by the 3rd quarter during the '95 season. Our backups were getting plenty of playing time, particularly in the 4th quarter that season.

Miami on the other hand was on the verge of collapsing vs. Virginia Tech when they squandered a 16 pt. lead in the 4th quarter. Tech had a chance to tie the game on a 2 pt. conversion which failed. Final score: 26-24, Miami.

While it's common for "Great Teams" to have "one of those games" in a season, that particular game puts the 2001 Miami team behind 1995 Nebraska, because Nebraska was never threatened the entire season. They just poured it on thick the first 3 quarters and the game was over by the 4th quarter.

In other words, 1995 Nebraska never had "one of those games" that season. They were on cruise control the entire season and never looked back.

Main reason I believe Miami 2001 is considered among the best all-time is the ridiculous amount of NFL guys on that squad. The running back position alone was ridiculous. Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, and Najeh Davenport all in one backfield is obscene. Throw in kellen winslow and jeremy shockey at TE. Bryant Mckinnie and Andre Johnson. And the Defense with Vilma, Wilfork, Ed reed, Antrel Rolle, and Sean Taylor, that is some serious NFL star power.

But if that team at the time they were in college played '95 Nebraska we would win in my completely objective opinion. A lot of the aforementioned guys really blossomed in their professional careers, compared to many of the Nebraska '95ers topping out in college and not too many going on to the NFL. 95 Nebraska was further developed at the time.

Mills, you edited your comment just as I clicked "quote."

Let's just say I concur with your original post. And with your current post. TO > Coker. No question.

Legit opinion - I think 1997 Tennessee would have given 2001 Miami all the game they could handle. You want to compare rosters full of NFL stars, those are two pretty comparable rosters.

And TO's 1997 team thrashed that Tennessee team, and that 1997 Nebraska team wasn't as good as 1995 Nebraska.

Just found more Kirk and friends on the boards....Frazier would run through those defences of 2001 Miami

Make no mistake, I am no part of Kirk and friends. 95 Nebraska wins by at least two TD's against 2001 Miami. I just was pointing out the reason Miami 2001 is cited as among the best of all-time. Was making the point that it had less to do with actual college achievement and more to do with later professional production in Miami's case.

What about the NFL talent on 95 Nebraska. Peters. Wistrom. Minter. Green. Phillips. tyrone williams. Rucker. Warfield. Foreman. We had our fair share too.

Also, Nebraska trailed Washington St for maybe a quarter. WSU scored first before Nebraska got rolling in the 2nd quarter. Then, in the Fiesta Bowl, Florida led 3-0 and 10-6, all in the first quarter and extremely early in the 2nd before Nebraska took the lead for good. Those were the only instances Nebraska even trailed, ALL SEASON LONG. How do you even begin to argue with that?

By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, that 2001 team would have been hands on hips huffin' and puffin' just like Sapp and Co.. That and all the talking and supposed "barking" they did would have really had them out of breath. I have no respect for Miami as a program. So yea, really not even close.

Main reason I believe Miami 2001 is considered among the best all-time is the ridiculous amount of NFL guys on that squad. The running back position alone was ridiculous. Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, and Najeh Davenport all in one backfield is obscene. Throw in kellen winslow and jeremy shockey at TE. Bryant Mckinnie and Andre Johnson. And the Defense with Vilma, Wilfork, Ed reed, Antrel Rolle, Ed Reed, and Sean Taylor, that is some serious NFL star power.

Damn, one Ed Reed is bad enough, but they had 2?!?

What about the NFL talent on 95 Nebraska. Peters. Wistrom. Minter. Green. Phillips. tyrone williams. Rucker. Warfield. Foreman. We had our fair share too.

Also, Nebraska trailed Washington St for maybe a quarter. WSU scored first before Nebraska got rolling in the 2nd quarter. Then, in the Fiesta Bowl, Florida led 3-0 and 10-6, all in the first quarter and extremely early in the 2nd before Nebraska took the lead for good. Those were the only instances Nebraska even trailed, ALL SEASON LONG. How do you even begin to argue with that?

I'll just put it in bold, so there's no ambiguity about my sentiments, 1995 Nebraska > 2001 Miami any day of the week

I too believe 95 Nebraska would run over them. I'm just explaining the reason most people in the country put 01 Miami up there. I think most reasonably intelligent college football fans would still say 95 Nebraska is the greatest of all time. In regards to your statement about our NFL guys from that squad, I think Miami's guys probably had more production than our guys in the NFL (though you bring up some names I didn't think of in Warfield Rucker and Minter). But that point is moot when discussing which team would likely win the head-to-head in college. We were the better college team.

By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, that 2001 team would have been hands on hips huffin' and puffin' just like Sapp and Co.. That and all the talking and supposed "barking" they did would have really had them out of breath. I have no respect for Miami as a program. So yea, really not even close.

Wilfork is a fat boy like Sapp so I thought we would be able to do the same to him. I agree with you, I think Miami is a classless program and I don't respect them at all. They piggybacked on our elite status to rise to the who's who club of college programs. I always thought this was a juicy rivalry because it pitted such contrasting styles. They were the hooligans who were loud, talked trash, committed NCAA violations, threw up that terrible hand gesture, and talked about swagger (the original definition and one with negative connotations). We were the big boys of the plains up front and skill players cherrypicked from their backyard, and we were the opposite, did minimal talking ( shoutout to Tom Osborne's psychic abilities at half-time against Miami in 94), and with the blue-collar midwestern offense were a blander style than their flash and pizzazz. I wouldn't want our program to have been any other way.

I wish our players wouldn't talk about having "swagger". That's for those pretty boys down in Miami and in it's original definition before the recent pop-culture colloquialization of the word, it wasn't a good thing to have. Loud brashness is a hallmark of southern teams but we should talk about being smashmouth. Keep our mouth shut and impose our will on you.

Main reason I believe Miami 2001 is considered among the best all-time is the ridiculous amount of NFL guys on that squad. The running back position alone was ridiculous. Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, and Najeh Davenport all in one backfield is obscene. Throw in kellen winslow and jeremy shockey at TE. Bryant Mckinnie and Andre Johnson. And the Defense with Vilma, Wilfork, Ed reed, Antrel Rolle, Ed Reed, and Sean Taylor, that is some serious NFL star power.

Damn, one Ed Reed is bad enough, but they had 2?!?

I'm a knucklehead. thanks for pointing that out. Took that extra Ed outta there.

I'll just put it in bold, so there's no ambiguity about my sentiments, 1995 Nebraska > 2001 Miami any day of the week

I too believe 95 Nebraska would run over them. I'm just explaining the reason most people in the country put 01 Miami up there. I think most reasonably intelligent college football fans would still say 95 Nebraska is the greatest of all time. In regards to your statement about our NFL guys from that squad, I think Miami's guys probably had more production than our guys in the NFL (though you bring up some names I didn't think of in Warfield Rucker and Minter). But that point is moot when discussing which team would likely win the head-to-head in college. We were the better college team.

Wilfork is a fat boy like Sapp so I thought we would be able to do the same to him. I agree with you, I think Miami is a classless program and I don't respect them at all. They piggybacked on our elite status to rise to the who's who club of college programs. I always thought this was a juicy rivalry because it pitted such contrasting styles. They were the hooligans who were loud, talked trash, committed NCAA violations, threw up that terrible hand gesture, and talked about swagger (the original definition and one with negative connotations). We were the big boys of the plains up front and skill players cherrypicked from their backyard, and we were the opposite, did minimal talking ( shoutout to Tom Osborne's psychic abilities at half-time against Miami in 94), and with the blue-collar midwestern offense were a blander style than their flash and pizzazz. I wouldn't want our program to have been any other way.

I wish our players wouldn't talk about having "swagger". That's for those pretty boys down in Miami and in it's original definition before the recent pop-culture colloquialization of the word, it wasn't a good thing to have. Loud brashness is a hallmark of southern teams but we should talk about being smashmouth. Keep our mouth shut and impose our will on you.

I know. It came off as arguing with your point. I was agreeing.

Miami is ridiculous. How can a program come and go from one extreme of irrelevance to relevance so often? It's really a sad state of affairs when it's obvious they are capable of obtaining the elite talent to be elite year after year after year.

As far as swagger goes, there is different kinds of swagger. Watch some of the game from 94-99. Our guys had swagger. The way they walked. They way the played. You dont have to trash talk and be in ears for 60 minutes to have swagger. With that said, I wished our guys played with a sh#t-ton more. It seems like we play with this nice-guy approach. When they walk out of that tunnel, they have to be ready to flip the switch. They have the other 167 hours of the week to be nice.

The difference would be our O line vs their D line.

They had a ton of studs on their line, but the fact we'd have kept pounding the rock, would have worn them out. They would have had to put at least 8 in the box, to slow that running game down. And it would have only been a matter of time before they would have been sucking wind, and we'd have been pounding the rock down their throats...

NU 27 - U of M 17