Do you question your religious beliefs? Would you like to?

I like to think that if God didnt want us questioning beliefs, he wouldntve given us the power to do so.

Most religions would consider that thought alone Heresy. And have, or in some places still do, imprison, torture, or kill anyone who does ask questions.

I started questioning the religion I was brought up in, and then rejected what I have been taught for the better part of two decades.

I like to think that if God didnt want us questioning beliefs, he wouldntve given us the power to do so.

Question is, if God wants us to question our beliefs, why would he condemn us to Hell for not having a good answer?

I've watched a few segments of that...and while I agree with them and they do make good points, it seems they also get some extremely poorly spoken callers phoning in. It's not even a fair fight.

That is true. I have heard a few people who are capable of keeping up with them, but most of the people who call in seem to be very ill-prepared to argue their case.

Most religions would consider that thought alone Heresy. And have, or in some places still do, imprison, torture, or kill anyone who does ask questions.

I started questioning the religion I was brought up in, and then rejected what I have been taught for the better part of two decades.

Not really.

I actually grew up in a church that taught that we should always be questioning what we are told about Christianity and study it ourselves.

When I joined the Catholic Church I joined a couple Bible study groups that always had that has a main topic of discussion. Studying the Bible and discussing and questioning the understanding of what Christianity really is.

Some of the most interesting discussions I have ever had on the subject was with Priests or Ministers on questioning religious beliefs.

Not really.

I actually grew up in a church that taught that we should always be questioning what we are told about Christianity and study it ourselves.

When I joined the Catholic Church I joined a couple Bible study groups that always had that has a main topic of discussion. Studying the Bible and discussing and questioning the understanding of what Christianity really is.

Some of the most interesting discussions I have ever had on the subject was with Priests or Ministers on questioning religious beliefs.

he said most religions, not your religion or church. a lot of people take their personal experiences and then generalize it for everyone. especially with religion, but especially with politics.

• Fire 1

I may have opened pandora's box on myself. I will borderline anger my wife (devout catholic) with these thoughts. I am loyal to my religion. I am very dedicated to my beliefs. But I also have open eyes and the power to think "what if"-openly. It is what it is.

if you do not question your beliefs and arrive at your conclusions independently, it is hard to say you really believe it at all.

• Fire 3

I may have opened pandora's box on myself. I will borderline anger my wife (devout catholic) with these thoughts. I am loyal to my religion. I am very dedicated to my beliefs. But I also have open eyes and the power to think "what if"-openly. It is what it is.

I hope that it does nothing even close to angering her. In fact, hopefully it'll make her ask that same question.

I by no means imply that you have to come to the same conclusion that I've come to, but as sdsker said, if you never question what you believe, how do you even know that it's really what you believe?

if you do not question your beliefs and arrive at your conclusions independently, it is hard to say you really believe it at all.

But I dont really arrive at any conclusions. Just a lot of "what-if" type of sh#t. See, this is why Im not good at talking about this kind of stuff cuz I'm not good at puttin thoughts into words on a monitor.

I hope that it does nothing even close to angering her. In fact, hopefully it'll make her ask that same question.

I by no means imply that you have to come to the same conclusion that I've come to, but as sdsker said, if you never question what you believe, how do you even know that it's really what you believe?

I also "believe" that Nebraska is the greatest football program in the country, but yet many of us come on here every day and question numerous aspects of it. Is that a good analogy?

But I dont really arrive at any conclusions. Just a lot of "what-if" type of sh#t. See, this is why Im not good at talking about this kind of stuff cuz I'm not good at puttin thoughts into words on a monitor.

this is a safe place, bro.

I also "believe" that Nebraska is the greatest football program in the country, but yet many of us come on here every day and question numerous aspects of it. Is that a good analogy?

no, because there is no question that nebraska is the greatest football program in the country. the only question we have are how can it be even greater.

• Fire 2

no, because there is no question that nebraska is the greatest football program in the country. the only question we have are how can it be even greater.

+1 from me. And I knew that response was coming from someone, literally word for word.