Do you question your religious beliefs? Would you like to?

@bennychico11

Thanks for clearing that up about atheists and the unobservable. I don't doubt an atheist enjoys considering the 'how and why' within the framework of what can be observed.

I truly enjoy soaking up all the religion, science and theoretical physics I can and mashing it around in my brain... trying to figure out how something in the Bible might line up with observable science or even theoretical physics. I think they are all different paths to the same Destination. It's not the destination that's important, but the journey.

If you want to soak up more theoretical physics, check out Paul Davies. He has Levitating Superturtles, Life 2.0, E.T., and a bunch of other theories about the universe that he does a great job at explaining for the smaller brain folks like me.

or you reject the concept of a Deity outright (atheist) and simply stop thinking about the unobservable how and the why altogether.

I don't think that most atheists outright reject the concept of a deity per se, I think most of them simply choose not to believe in any specific deity because they've not seen evidence enough to believe there's any reason to.

Even if it is a case of outright rejection, that doesn't require one to stop thinking about any of those things. Just because we may never have a 100% verifiable answer to those "big questions" doesn't mean we can't have our own hypotheses. In fact, I'd argue that an atheist has far more curiosity about those things than a theist does, because a theist assumes to already know the answers.

Yeah, we are now debating definitions....and words are important, but debating their definitions is exhausting.

I basically roll with :

Atheist rejects the concept of a Deity.

Theist accepts the concept of a Deity.

Specifying the Deity you accept or reject is irrelevant... you either accept or deny the very concept of a Deity.

There are dozens of words that are subsets to each of these branches...and even which branch they belong is sometimes debatable.

This has ended up being a pretty good discussion. You should pop into these threads more often, Conga. I relate pretty closely with the concepts you're throwing out there.

@funhusker: I knew what you meant. :)

:thumbs

I really enjoy debate and the challenge of putting my thoughts into words other people will correctly interpret...but it can be exhausting.

A discussion can quickly turn into an argument, and arguing on the Internet is not fun...

This has ended up being a pretty good discussion. You should pop into these threads more often, Conga. I relate pretty closely with the concepts you're throwing out there.

I really enjoy debate and the challenge of putting my thoughts into words other people will correctly interpret...but it can be exhausting.

A discussion can quickly turn into an argument, and arguing on the Internet is not fun...

Agree. It's fascinating stuff if all involved parties approach it with an open mind, but these types of discussions get ruined by people who don't on a far-too-regular basis.

it is a fine line, but i think if you come into it with an open mind and mutual respect, then the conversations are pretty worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...