Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

He's been here for a very long time, and has been average at best as a coach and recruiter (though many point to his administrative skills). That isn't looking like it's going to change. Valuable as he may be to the Athletic Dept. as a whole, there are a limited number of assistant positions and we can make better use of it.

• Fire 1

I totally understand moving him to open up positions for more coaches, but to say he's a bad coach, I just don't agree. There are 7 (5 drafted) Nebraska offensive lineman in the NFL since Barney came back to Nebraska in 2008, you know how many we had during the 5 years he was not at Nebraska....ZERO! Not to mention you have a living piece of Nebraska tradition on your coaching staff. If he's not a good recruiter that's fine, don't have him recruit! But to say he isn't a good coach is just asinine.

I totally understand moving him to open up positions for more coaches, but to say he's a bad coach, I just don't agree. There are 7 (5 drafted) Nebraska offensive lineman in the NFL since Barney came back to Nebraska in 2008, you know how many we had during the 5 years he was not at Nebraska....ZERO! Not to mention you have a living piece of Nebraska tradition on your coaching staff. If he's not a good recruiter that's fine, don't have him recruit! But to say he isn't a good coach is just asinine.

how many of those guys were recruited by him? i dont think he has done much with the guys he has brought in but to be fair he is not a bad coach just average and nebraska fans want someone who is going to be exceptional especially when it come to the O-line its been a while since the pipeline days and fans want more out of the offensive front

Out of curiosity, who are those two undrafted guys?

I can look up the 5 drafted. Carl Nicks, Matt Slauson, Lydon Murtha, Keith Williams, and Marcel Jones.

A living piece of Nebraska tradition doesn't make him a good coach.

Yoshi Hardrick & Ricky Henry, both were on NFL rosters but since have been put on practice squads. Never said his tradition had anything to do with his coaching, but one of the biggest things we recruit on is tradition. Having a guy on your coaching staff who played during those glory days and was an NFL draft pick certainly can't hurt him.

how many of those guys were recruited by him? i dont think he has done much with the guys he has brought in but to be fair he is not a bad coach just average and nebraska fans want someone who is going to be exceptional especially when it come to the O-line its been a while since the pipeline days and fans want more out of the offensive front

So we've established he's not a great recruiter, I acknowledged that already. In what ways has Barney been average? This is what I'm saying, nobody has given a single valid opinion with any factual evidence as to where Barney has faltered in his coaching.

Getting into dangerous waters when evaluating recruiting or coaching ability on the basis of things other than 'how good a recruiter is he?' Terry Joseph played baseball in college at Northwestern state and he's a great asset. Tim Beck is another of our staff's best, played at Central Florida, and never in the pros.

I haven't heard much about the expanded recruiting staffs the NCAA wants to allow, but with his administrative abilities perhaps he would find a good fit there, where his Nebraska and NFL pedigree are a nice plus that comes without the cost of a dedicated assistant staff position.

I don't know though. There's obviously a big disconnect in fan sentiment and staff sentiment here. Bo appears to love him.

As far as facts go, we're dealing in the entirely subjective world of evaluation of talent here. But our line has not been good, while here. It has gotten worse where it was getting better before. Barney was once the sole OL coach and they have brought in over the years significant help at the position. And his current duties are being divided once again as he assumes the TEs role.

• Fire 1

I can look up the 5 drafted. Carl Nicks, Matt Slauson, Lydon Murtha, Keith Williams, and Marcel Jones.

Unless I'm off on dates, those were all Callahan recruits. Meaning they came in after Barney was here the first time around in 2003. And those four years would be in large part by the players on the roster from the tail end of Solich's recruiting. I don't see any of the oline guys graduating this year getting drafted.

What I do see is a lot of guys who have come in with star ratings, and then doing nothing, or transferring out.

• Fire 1

I just dont understand why they let Marrow go when they could have let Cotton go, or have Cotton over see the new recruiting department, and we could have kept our TE coach who was proved to have some decent connections in Ohio.

Now or later, Marrow's character would have surfaced.

Anytime someone's character is an issues (especially coaching staff) it NEVER surfaces around here. Can't understand that. To this day people still can't put out what they've heard about Frank Solich. It's always a bunch of whispering that people without booster friends or inside sources just have to accept as fact I guess. So marrow was flawed. I'll buy it.

So we've established he's not a great recruiter, I acknowledged that already. In what ways has Barney been average? This is what I'm saying, nobody has given a single valid opinion with any factual evidence as to where Barney has faltered in his coaching.

i would say when you have to start 3 walk ons on your offensive line and have failed to have a deep rotation in previous years there is a problem with coaching the guys on the roster i'm not trying to give you a hard time but i dont think a bunch of late round draft picks that dont play make you an above average coach also i dont think Nicks ever played under cotton he left after his junior year

Unless I'm off on dates, those were all Callahan recruits. Meaning they came in after Barney was here the first time around in 2003. And those four years would be in large part by the players on the roster from the tail end of Solich's recruiting. I don't see any of the oline guys graduating this year getting drafted.

What I do see is a lot of guys who have come in with star ratings, and then doing nothing, or transferring out.

Really? Have you ever heard of Spencer Long?

Nicks was a JUCO I believe and left after his senior year. He was part of the 2008 draft and never played under the new staff. He did get banned from the Nebraska pro day though.

Anytime someone's character is an issues (especially coaching staff) it NEVER surfaces around here. Can't understand that. To this day people still can't put out what they've heard about Frank Solich. It's always a bunch of whispering that people without booster friends or inside sources just have to accept as fact I guess. So marrow was flawed. I'll buy it.

This isn't anything like that. We had a recruit who was committed to Nebraska and followed Marrow to Kentucky when Marrow left. And Braylon Heard is not allowed to transfer to Kentucky. To me it just seems like some people are upset and maybe they have a right to be...or maybe not...but nothing like a hush-hush scandal kept on the grapevine.

• Fire 1

Really? Have you ever heard of Spencer Long?

1 guy in 5 years? That's the defense? 3 walk ons starting on the Nebraska O-Line, completely unacceptable. He quite probably ran off his best guy before last season started.

Nicks was a JUCO I believe and left after his senior year. He was part of the 2008 draft and never played under the new staff. He did get banned from the Nebraska pro day though.

This isn't anything like that. We had a recruit who was committed to Nebraska and followed Marrow to Kentucky when Marrow left. And Braylon Heard is not allowed to transfer to Kentucky. To me it just seems like some people are upset and maybe they have a right to be...or maybe not...but nothing like a hush-hush scandal kept on the grapevine.

Yeah my bad on Nicks. He did not get coached by Barney.