Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

Time to be honest here. No one on this board actually knows how good of a coach Barney really is. No one on this board really knows how much of a role he's played in either the success of failures since he's been here. It's interesting to speculate. It's what we're here for. I do it too. But, this is fact. None of us really have a clue.

Time to be honest here. No one on this board actually knows how good of a coach Barney Cosgrove really is. No one on this board really knows how much of a role he's played in either the success of failures since he's been here. It's interesting to speculate. It's what we're here for. I do it too. But, this is fact. None of us really have a clue.

So let's see if I have this straight - we "all" agree Barney wasn't a great recruiter. We all agree he's had one guy drafted under his tutelage in five years. We all agree that several of his best recruits have left the program in the last couple of years.

And against that, we're putting "tradition," which boils down to, "He's been here a while."

I'm not seeing a compelling argument to keep him on staff. This is a results-oriented position, and we haven't been getting results out of Barney like we should.

Now, the argument is put forth that we've had some damned good rushing rankings the past three years, and that's in Barney's favor. To dispel that, look at the ridiculous talent we've had rushing the ball these past few years - Rex, T-Magic, Ameer, Roy Helu, even Lucky in 2008 - although that was largely due to Callahan's O Line, not Barney's.

Think back to how many times Rex has made some DE or blitzing LB look stupid when they catch him in the backfield, only to whiff on thin air while Rex makes five yards out of a three-yard loss. You put a regular mortal in those instances and the rushing stats look very different.

I have no beef with Barney. I'm just recognizing what's happening on this O Line.

Case in point:

Time to be honest here. No one on this board actually knows how good of a coach Barney really is. No one on this board really knows how much of a role he's played in either the success of failures since he's been here. It's interesting to speculate. It's what we're here for. I do it too. But, this is fact. None of us really have a clue.

This is completely true, and as Dude points out, applies to pretty much anybody. It's subjective and it's interesting, but it's not something where you can put your foot down and demand, "OK, please people, let's only deal with facts." The reality is, you're still dealing with opinions.

Case in point:

was talking about this video before and I feel like there's a possibility this one - as many others over the years - was on Taylor. Taylor at least does not have a good history of being a guy that is adept at the pre-snap reads. We see Wisconsin showing a goofy looking front and Taylor barking some adjustments to his guys in response.

So after this opportunity to direct his pass coverage, they snap the ball. Wisconsin rushes four and one guy comes completely free through the line. You can see what happens much more clearly at around the 0:50 mark where they show the replay.

So I think either someone got their orders mixed up or the orders were messed up to begin with. Interestingly, Rex was originally lined up on the side where the rush came through but was moved to the opposite side of the QB. He was in pass pro and had nobody to block.

Do any of you even read everything I post or do you just read segments of it and try to decipher my hidden agenda for Barney Cotton? Pretty obvious not too many of the people comenting on this have ever played or coached football at a high level, and if you have you weren't a lineman or a line coach. Because I have watched every one of those games and I've watched them multiple times. Did we make mistakes? You bet. Was our talent sub par? Yeah it was. We've come up with millions of excuses for failures of the coaching staff in other spots, yet refuse to give Barney any credit at all. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't effect the OLine & the ability to bring in top recruits? Come on, be realistic. This guy has been an instrumental part in turning our offense and our program around. Anyone who says different, anyone who wants to say Barney isn't a damn good OLine coach, well you're just ignorant. But that's the great thing about message boards, you don't need credibility, you can just come on here and say as many misinformed things as you'd like. =]

Barney is a subpar O-line coach, and his demotion proves that. I think your the ingorant person for calling others ignorant because they don't agree with you.

I also find it funny how you say something about people not being coaches or playing at the high level, but you fail to mention whether your either of those. You do state you watch the games, and you have watched them multiple times.

Barney is a decent coach... Superior, NO!

I guess the horrible pass protection we have had since Barney has been here isn't his fault either though, right?

Nick, If you had another paragraph of Barney insight, would he have been upgraded to good following your pattern? :)

Do any of you even read everything I post or do you just read segments of it and try to decipher my hidden agenda for Barney Cotton? Pretty obvious not too many of the people comenting on this have ever played or coached football at a high level, and if you have you weren't a lineman or a line coach. Because I have watched every one of those games and I've watched them multiple times. Did we make mistakes? You bet. Was our talent sub par? Yeah it was. We've come up with millions of excuses for failures of the coaching staff in other spots, yet refuse to give Barney any credit at all. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't effect the OLine & the ability to bring in top recruits? Come on, be realistic. This guy has been an instrumental part in turning our offense and our program around. Anyone who says different, anyone who wants to say Barney isn't a damn good OLine coach, well you're just ignorant. But that's the great thing about message boards, you don't need credibility, you can just come on here and say as many misinformed things as you'd like. =]

Barney is a subpar O-line coach, and his demotion proves that. I think your the ingorant person for calling others ignorant because they don't agree with you.

I also find it funny how you say something about people not being coaches or playing at the high level, but you fail to mention whether your either of those. You do state you watch the games, and you have watched them multiple times.

I guess the horrible pass protection we have had since Barney has been here isn't his fault either though, right?

Nick, If you had another paragraph of Barney insight, would he have been upgraded to good following your pattern? :)

It was 10 at night, after a long work day, cut me a break! :P Lol. I don't think he is a horrible coach. I don't think he has what it takes to take our OL to the next level. I am not even sure if Garrison does, but we have to do something. We do OK in blocking on running plays, but our pass protection is horrid. You see why Taylor throws immediately or scrambles right away, even he knows the protection there isn't good.

A great OL can make any running back look good or like a star. In last years case, we had outstanding backs that made our OL better than they looked (number/stat wise)

Personally, I too hate the "rumorville" talk of how poor Barney coaches. What I think is most often overlooked is the Callahan era where he completely changed the type of O-line player we had and that it takes time to build a pipeline. Defined, pipeline would indicate that one doesn't rebuild but reload. So... with this in mind and considering the last two years I'd say that Bo and the entire staff is slowly rebuilding the pipeline through recruiting, red shirting, preferred walk-ons and gray shirts.. Also, a small difference that is overlooked is the "reduced" number of schollies that Bo can offer compared to those that TO could offer. We all know that we've lost a couple of our talented O-line recruits and that hurts. Is it Barney's fault? Bo's fault maybe? Or... is it just a fact that some kids just don't fit in? I tend to believe it's more the latter. I also tend to believe that we are slowly building a "new" pipeline tradition and if one looks back at the last two years under Beck one will see there really is more of an emphasis on running the ball. We suffered under the Callahan, throw first, philosophy but Bo and company are changing that. No I don't want Barney fired or any coach at this time. Coaching consistency and continuity was a huge part of TO's success and Bo is smart enough to recognize this. Me, as a fan, well... I too am smart enough to know Bo knows better them me and so, I trust he'll do what is best for the team as a whole. Including finding someone that's been there, done that to get advice from.

• Fire 1

I don't really buy into the totally different OL idea. It's not like we are running the 1995 offense out there. And when we weren't playing catch-up constantly (2004 and 2007), Nebraska ran the ball more than it passed under Callahan. The WCO is not the fun-and-gun, air it out all day, spread passing attack.

Frank had depleted the pipeline completely and the cupboards were bare. Callahan spent several years restocking that cupboard. Barney came back and purposely tore it down because his way was better. Five years, and recruiting on the OL has not yielded much fruit. If they're going to slowly rebuild and clean up the mess, it's one of their own creation at this point.

I don't really buy into the totally different OL idea. It's not like we are running the 1995 offense out there. And when we weren't playing catch-up constantly (2004 and 2007), Nebraska ran the ball more than it passed under Callahan. The WCO is not the fun-and-gun, air it out all day, spread passing attack.

Frank had depleted the pipeline completely and the cupboards were bare. Callahan spent several years restocking that cupboard. Barney came back and purposely tore it down because his way was better. Five years, and recruiting on the OL has not yielded much fruit. If they're going to slowly rebuild and clean up the mess, it's one of their own creation at this point.

I think that is why Garrison has become more of a fulltime position coach, because it looks like we will be trying to recruit more MidWest kids for the Offensive Line. Such as Kansas City, somewhere Garrison has a lot of ties at and can recruit heavily there. That and I also think he is a better positions coach. If he was the one to work with walk-ons, Spencer Long is a great example of how he can get the most of out kids and make them perform better than imagined.

It was 10 at night, after a long work day, cut me a break! :P Lol. I don't think he is a horrible coach. I don't think he has what it takes to take our OL to the next level. I am not even sure if Garrison does, but we have to do something. We do OK in blocking on running plays, but our pass protection is horrid. You see why Taylor throws immediately or scrambles right away, even he knows the protection there isn't good.

A great OL can make any running back look good or like a star. In last years case, we had outstanding backs that made our OL better than they looked (number/stat wise)

I'm just messing with you man. lol I would like to see Stai more involved with the line as well. I think he would be a great motivator and i always liked what he had to say after Husker games on the radio. He makes a lot of sense, and I'd play for a guy like that in a heartbeat.

I'm just messing with you man. lol I would like to see Stai more involved with the line as well. I think he would be a great motivator and i always liked what he had to say after Husker games on the radio. He makes a lot of sense, and I'd play for a guy like that in a heartbeat.

Oh I know you were lol. I would as well. I just hope, whether its Stai or Garrison, they instill an attitude back into our OL! Our guys should NEVER be ok about their QB being hit or touched. Let alone let someone get in his face. I also hope Martinez comes back with that attitude he had in the Georgia game!

Personally, I too hate the "rumorville" talk of how poor Barney coaches. What I think is most often overlooked is the Callahan era where he completely changed the type of O-line player we had and that it takes time to build a pipeline. Defined, pipeline would indicate that one doesn't rebuild but reload. So... with this in mind and considering the last two years I'd say that Bo and the entire staff is slowly rebuilding the pipeline through recruiting, red shirting, preferred walk-ons and gray shirts.. Also, a small difference that is overlooked is the "reduced" number of schollies that Bo can offer compared to those that TO could offer. We all know that we've lost a couple of our talented O-line recruits and that hurts. Is it Barney's fault? Bo's fault maybe? Or... is it just a fact that some kids just don't fit in? I tend to believe it's more the latter. I also tend to believe that we are slowly building a "new" pipeline tradition and if one looks back at the last two years under Beck one will see there really is more of an emphasis on running the ball. We suffered under the Callahan, throw first, philosophy but Bo and company are changing that. No I don't want Barney fired or any coach at this time. Coaching consistency and continuity was a huge part of TO's success and Bo is smart enough to recognize this. Me, as a fan, well... I too am smart enough to know Bo knows better them me and so, I trust he'll do what is best for the team as a whole. Including finding someone that's been there, done that to get advice from.

Thank you. Just simply, thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one who sees this.

IMO It's different in that this offense does a lot of pulling on it's run plays moreso than the WCO. I think they are recruiting quicker interior OL that can block in space and are good power run blockers. We are much more aggressive. Under Callahan he looked for OL with big hands and long arms that could pass protect as the primary function. Yes we did run a little but I think it was all zone blocking. I think they do more than zone blocking now. That's my guess.

• Fire 1