Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

You need to read my statement Polar... I made sure to mention that improvement was ONLY evident after Garrison and Stai came aboard to help coach! That wasn't coincidence the last 2 years have seen an improvement over the first 3 yrs when it was only Barney! That makes pretty clear sense to me? Please don't take people out of context!

Didn't take it out of context. what you said didn't add up. if you want to say that the last 5 years the OL sucked ass,

our O-line's the past 5 years have flat out sucked!
that's fine. but don't give credit to coaches for improvement over the last 2 years.

it's just a play on words.

What you said doesn't make sense i'm afraid. Don't give credit to coaches for improvement over the past two years? Why not? Makes perfect sense. I'm just not speliing it out in a two page essay because people on here arent dumb. Are you related to Barney? Cuz you are trying awfully hard to stand up for him!? I'm not saying Barney is a bad coach... nowhere did i say that! Yes i am being hard on Barney, but that's because I have given of myself to this program for years and I love the Huskers and always will, and to watch, what i think is the most important part of the offense slip the way it has since even Callahan, upsets me and for that i won't ever apologize! Sorry, the Huskers are bigger than one man, no matter who it is! Even Osborne as great as he is and a true Hero of mine!

Point is Garrison and Stai cant fix what needs to be overnight but there has been improvement the last 2 years! I'm not saying everything is bad across the board but we've gone from attrocious on the o-line to just average on the o-line. To me average sucks! Development under Barney and/or the others isn't good! As far as i'm concerned the jury is still out on Garrison as well... although he must be better than Barney or Barney would still be the o-line coach! Look at Rodriquez for instance. The kid was a star rated player coming out of high school and was here before Garrison arrived but what has he become and how has he developed? Not the best I'm afraid to say!

I'm not trying to gang up on Barney! Like i said, I think he is a great guy who is a loyal Husker through and through and I'm sure there is someplace for him within the program, but O-line isnt it and whatever you say polar, i think the recent move proves that out pretty clear! Are you saying Pelini is moving a great 0-line coach to a different position when he shouldn't? Because for you to back up all your statements, that is what you have to say! If he was so great then why is he being moved! Pelini's loyalty to his coaches is the only thing that has kept him where he is this long, so i think your arguement is very thin!

I'm done posting here... my intent isn't to hurt anyones feelings and apparently I am doing so and for that I apologize, but apologize for stating my opinion, i will not do!

What you said doesn't make sense i'm afraid. Don't give credit to coaches for improvement over the past two years? Why not? Makes perfect sense. I'm just not speliing it out in a two page essay because people on here arent dumb. Are you related to Barney? Cuz you are trying awfully hard to stand up for him!? I'm not saying Barney is a bad coach... nowhere did i say that! Yes i am being hard on Barney, but that's because I have given of myself to this program for years and I love the Huskers and always will, and to watch, what i think is the most important part of the offense slip the way it has since even Callahan, upsets me and for that i won't ever apologize! Sorry, the Huskers are bigger than one man, no matter who it is! Even Osborne as great as he is and a true Hero of mine!

Point is Garrison and Stai cant fix what needs to be overnight but there has been improvement the last 2 years! I'm not saying everything is bad across the board but we've gone from attrocious on the o-line to just average on the o-line. To me average sucks! Development under Barney and/or the others isn't good! As far as i'm concerned the jury is still out on Garrison as well... although he must be better than Barney or Barney would still be the o-line coach! Look at Rodriquez for instance. The kid was a star rated player coming out of high school and was here before Garrison arrived but what has he become and how has he developed? Not the best I'm afraid to say!

I'm not trying to gang up on Barney! Like i said, I think he is a great guy who is a loyal Husker through and through and I'm sure there is someplace for him within the program, but O-line isnt it and whatever you say polar, i think the recent move proves that out pretty clear! Are you saying Pelini is moving a great 0-line coach to a different position when he shouldn't? Because for you to back up all your statements, that is what you have to say! If he was so great then why is he being moved! Pelini's loyalty to his coaches is the only thing that has kept him where he is this long, so i think your arguement is very thin!

I'm done posting here... my intent isn't to hurt anyones feelings and apparently I am doing so and for that I apologize, but apologize for stating my opinion, i will not do!

LOL. I just find it amazing how you figured this one out. If i remember correctly Garrison been helping with the OL for some time now. well before he finally was hired as a full time coach.

I really don't care if BC get's fired or not. That's Bo's decision. I just feel you argument is based on nothing more than BS. No facts to it what so ever.

Hay, my personal opinion is no better than yours, no need to apologize. just don't get so but hurt about it.

Well, this whole conversation piqued my interest, so I looked up all of our scholly OL since BO has gotten here. They are as follows:

2008: Baker, David Grant, Ricky Henry, Brandon Thompson

2009: Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Qvale, Sirles

2010: Yoshi, Mike Moudy, ARod, Jake Cotton

2011: Klachko, Tyler Moore, Sterup, Mordi-Price, Reeves

2012: Corey Whittaker, Paul Thurston

2013: Zach Hannon, David Knevel, Matt Finnin, Chongo Kondolo, Dwayne Johnson

Now, it's a bit too early to judge the kids from the last two classes, so I'll omit them. But I would lump them as follows:

Hits: Yoshi, Cotton, Qvale, Sirles, Henry

Misses: Baker, Grant, Thompson, Ash, Coffey, Moudy, ARod, Klachko, Moore

Unproven but hopeful: Mordi-Price, Reeves, Sterup, and everyone from the last two classes.

I suppose if you were to make it into a contributor/non-contributor list, you could definitely include ARod and Baker on the hit list, but Baker never contributed a thing to the OL (which is what this thread is about), so for our intents and purposes he's a miss. ARod is just straight up a bust at this point in my mind.

I'm least hopefuly that Mordi-Price will make a contribution of the hopeful list at this point, based on those rumors of him transferring a while back. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire, and if he hasn't cracked the two deep at this point I doubt he ever will.

The point is, we've had a larger number of recruiting misses than we have hits at this point in Bo's OL recruits. Some of that is likely out of coach's control-- like with Klachko and Moore and their respective situations-- but you have to question how much of it lies on Barney's shoulders, development wise. Even with Moore going out like he did, throwing a temper-tantrum and storming off because he wasn't handed a position, I still wonder if there is any creedence to the thought that any of his frustration was precipitated by Barney playing favorites and getting a little goofy with his OL rotation. That would lead me to believe he's just not a very solid OL coach.

Also, with a player like ARod, or even Sterup or Klach for that matter, they were given four stars basically based on their projectability to continue to grow and develop into good college o-linemen. I think lineman to a greater degree than skill positions players, probably earn stars based less on what they SHOW on film in high school vs. their frame and how their athleticism projects them going forward. ARod was given 4 stars, even though he was an extremely raw football player in HS, because he had the body to develop into a solid offensive tackle at the college level.

As you can see, he now looks overweight and too slow to play T in our scheme, and most of you would agree he would appear to be be better suited as a G at this point. But who knows how much of his mismanagement falls on Barney, the strength or nutrition staffs, or Andrew himself not doing what he needs to do (I get the sense the last is to blame).

The point of my rant is that with the high number of highly rated guys not excelling and mid-tiered guys not contributing at all, it is only natural for us to question how much Barney is at fault. It IS his unit, after all. There will always be busts at every position, but at Nebraska where we're at a huge recruiting disadvantage anyway, we will always have to overacheive and squeeze 110% of the recruits we do get anyway. And consistently failing to do so on the OL is seriously hindering our leap to the next level.

If Barney cannot get the most out of the guys we give him (and though we're NU we HAVE given him his fair share of very talented prospects), it is about #$*@ time we had him take on other duties and find someone who can.

• Fire 1

I think one thing that's telling of our offensive line over the last five years is the lack of players being highly drafted. I don't think a Pelini team has had an o-linemen go in the first three rounds of the draft. And this isn't to say the draft is the end-all-be-all of a good player or that it's the only way to test the value of your players. But, I do think it is at least somewhat relevant to discuss. If players aren't developing, walk-ons are taking starting roles over much more physically and you're not sending players into the NFL, I think you have some issues.

I love our successful walk-ons but this isn't 1995. We can't plug and chug cornfed Nebraska boys into the o-line like we used to and expect to compete nationally. We don't have the system in place or the coaching.

I think one thing that's telling of our offensive line over the last five years is the lack of players being highly drafted. I don't think a Pelini team has had an o-linemen go in the first three rounds of the draft. And this isn't to say the draft is the end-all-be-all of a good player or that it's the only way to test the value of your players. But, I do think it is at least somewhat relevant to discuss. If players aren't developing, walk-ons are taking starting roles over much more physically and you're not sending players into the NFL, I think you have some issues.

I love our successful walk-ons but this isn't 1995. We can't plug and chug cornfed Nebraska boys into the o-line like we used to and expect to compete nationally. We don't have the system in place or the coaching.

So agree. "We don't have the system in place or the coaching". Nuff said.

Buster, don't cherry pick points to support your argument. I think you're missing the point.

Long is an anomaly for the walk ons and we're lucky to have him. But look at Choi and Jackson. Neither garnered national pub. They weren't world beaters, but they WERE the best we had. That is telling.

I think the running game stats are a by product of the offense we run and having a fantastic running QB and one of the best stable of RBs NU has had in years.

When evaluating something, look at the strengths AND weaknesses. Totally agree with Enhance. We're questioning Barney's proficiency in perfecting pass pro and developing and improving kids with good potential.

To a lot of us, it seems they show up in the program with that potential, and it goes largely untapped while here. They don't tend to get noticeably better, and thus aren't highly valued in the eyes of NFL scouts.

• Fire 2

Buster, don't cherry pick points to support your argument. I think you're missing the point.

Long is an anomaly for the walk ons and we're lucky to have him. But look at Choi and Jackson. Neither garnered national pub. They weren't world beaters, but they WERE the best we had. That is telling.

I think the running game stats are a by product of the offense we run and having a fantastic running QB and one of the best stable of RBs NU has had in years.

When evaluating something, look at the strengths AND weaknesses. Totally agree with Enhance. We're questioning Barney's proficiency in perfecting pass pro and developing and improving kids with good potential.

To a lot of us, it seems they show up in the program with that potential, and it goes largely untapped while here. They don't tend to get noticeably better, and thus aren't highly valued in the eyes of NFL scouts.

Cherry picking: now that's funny. how are the cherry's now a day's?

So, let me get this straight. A walkon comes here, beats out more physically gifted players, becomes an all American, our running game is top 10 nationally against some pretty decent defenses and it's all because our coaching sucks?

We can't detract from what Spencer Long has done, but as dudeguy pointed out, he's not the rule - he's an exception. When two of your best recruits leave (Moore/Klachko), your linemen aren't being drafted in the first three rounds ever, and the guys you do bring in to actually be major contributors aren't producing to their potential (Andrew Rodriguez), I think there's an issue.

I have no problem with the walk-ons, but let support the argument again. We don't have the system in place nor the coaching to have walk-ons be as big of a staple as they once were. Perhaps we can develop it again, but we don't have it right now. Therefore, losing big recruits or recruits just straight up not panning out really hurts our ability to compete nationally.

So, let me get this straight. A walkon comes here, beats out more physically gifted players, becomes an all American, our running game is top 10 nationally against some pretty decent defenses and it's all because our coaching sucks?

We can't detract from what Spencer Long has done, but as dudeguy pointed out, he's not the rule - he's an exception. When two of your best recruits leave (Moore/Klachko), your linemen aren't being drafted in the first three rounds ever, and the guys you do bring in to actually be major contributors aren't producing to their potential (Andrew Rodriguez), I think there's an issue.

I have no problem with the walk-ons, but let support the argument again. We don't have the system in place nor the coaching to have walk-ons be as big of a staple as they once were. Perhaps we can develop it again, but we don't have it right now. Therefore, losing big recruits or recruits just straight up not panning out really hurts our ability to compete nationally.

Funny how ten to fifteen years ago a walk-on making the two deep was a success story, now it's the failure of the system and coaching. we have a great talent in Long, but according to this board he's "he's not the rule". why can't we see it for what it is, he's a great OL that's a walk-on and (at this point in time) has more talent then the rest at his position. doesn't mean that the rest won't have this talent in the near future, but that they have some more work to do.

when you say "When two of your best recruits leave (Moore/Klachko)", isn't that a little over the top? if Moore was our best OL he would of been starting, but wasn't. some say he was going to be 2nd string. Now Klachko is the one the makes me LOL. he never saw the field, did something that was against the policy's of the football program and is no longer playing football because of medical problems. how is that one of the best?

Funny how ten to fifteen years ago a walk-on making the two deep was a success story, now it's the failure of the system and coaching. we have a great talent in Long, but according to this board he's "he's not the rule". why can't we see it for what it is, he's a great OL that's a walk-on and (at this point in time) has more talent then the rest at his position. doesn't mean that the rest won't have this talent in the near future, but that they have some more work to do.

when you say "When two of your best recruits leave (Moore/Klachko)", isn't that a little over the top? if Moore was our best OL he would of been starting, but wasn't. some say he was going to be 2nd string. Now Klachko is the one the makes me LOL. he never saw the field, did something that was against the policy's of the football program and is no longer playing football because of medical problems. how is that one of the best?

My point exactly.

So, I guess in some fan's eyes, if I'm the O line coach, I shouldn't ever start a walkon above a "highly recruited player" because that would mean I'm a failure.

I dont really have a dog in the fight. Pretty much indifferent either way. It is what it is. But c'mon, I dont care how good the backs and running qb is. Someone's making the damn holes. It's and 11-man setup. They win as a team and lose as a team.

• Fire 2