Recruiting Approach

jmfb

With the new rules for recruiting in place, it looks as if the NCAA is allowing non-coaches to become part of the proccess

One of the things many college coaches hate most is recruiting. I know Milt Tenopir hated it, he said he felt like a "used car salesman" and hated making the calls.

Would it make sense to bring some top level recruiting help in from the private sector to bring some business proccess perspective and ideas to the table?

While college football recruiting is different than recruiting top executives or salespeople or nurses etc- there is some commonality.

How many college football recruiters have been trained how to professionally recruit?

How many college football programs have had their recruiting proccesses refined, automated, evaluated and steamlined?

Some of these people really know how to get this done and to do it more effectively and efficiently

I see some value there

It is what it is, if the rules stay the same, there may be value in looking outside the box for answers

If NU does what everyone else does, expect similar results

Bama just hired Kevin Steele- as a recruiter only

May be worth considering

It will be interesting to see how these new hires are used. It seems like it is most effective having a kids position coach heavily involved in the process and we know the kids always want to have the big name coaches visit them, especially the head coach. I can really see these "specialty" recruiters as permanent councilors and mentors for these kids during their entire playing career, otherwise what is the sell in having these guys recruit. The relationships these kids build during the recruiting process seem to be the next biggest factor in landing a kids commitment next to location.

It will be interesting to see how these new hires are used. It seems like it is most effective having a kids position coach heavily involved in the process and we know the kids always want to have the big name coaches visit them, especially the head coach. I can really see these "specialty" recruiters as permanent councilors and mentors for these kids during their entire playing career, otherwise what is the sell in having these guys recruit. The relationships these kids build during the recruiting process seem to be the next biggest factor in landing a kids commitment next to location.

I wasnt suggesting the outside recruiting experts from the private sector doing a lot of the hands on recruiting

They would provide an entire METHODOLOGY and repeatable process for identifying, screening, marketing, contact frequency, tracking- automating a modern approach to selling kids on NU and then TRAINING our coaches how to recruit. If it makes sense maybe handle a BUNCH of what the coaches do now, developing HS coaching networks/gathering Intell- sending updates to kids via e-mail, social media, maybe also act as a secondary contact to the recruit in some places.

I have no doubt that the entire approach can be made significantly more effective, efficient, take less of the coaches time if some experts who recruit for a living 24x7 would help streamline it all for them.

Get ready for a major increase in cost per recruit. You will see big budget programs hire big name guys to face their recruiting programs & why not.

Pelini & staff can pay all of their attention on the team, while a army of people can handle recruiting. Bring in a guy like Mike Rozier pay him to contact recruits that your army of scouts have pointed him towards. With the money some of the bigger programs have you could hire a guy like Jon Gruden or Herm Edwards to do nothing other then try to sway these young kids towards your program. You can even give them a large bonus for where the recruituing class is ranked. Top 5 class give them a million.

Get ready for a major increase in cost per recruit. You will see big budget programs hire big name guys to face their recruiting programs & why not.

Pelini & staff can pay all of their attention on the team, while a army of people can handle recruiting. Bring in a guy like Mike Rozier pay him to contact recruits that your army of scouts have pointed him towards. With the money some of the bigger programs have you could hire a guy like Jon Gruden or Herm Edwards to do nothing other then try to sway these young kids towards your program. You can even give them a large bonus for where the recruituing class is ranked. Top 5 class give them a million.

Yep. Basically it's all just a crock of sh#t. This crap should NOT be allowed. I just cant wrap my head around what it's going to do to the sport.

I tend to agree that these rule changes are not for the positive.

That being said, looks like these will be the rules, so it will be a necessary evil. Might as well embrace it and get a jump start with a big-time influential person to head it. Lets do it better than others.

While I don't agree with what the NCAA is doing I think this could end up doing us a world of good if the athletic department will put out the kind of money other schools like Bama and Texas will. If not we will probably never being in the running for a big time recruit again. I also see this as a way to kill little programs that are already struggling as it is