Dozens of '14 offers already?

We always cast a wide net. We have to with little local talent. Nothing shady or "ole miss" about lots of offers. Accepting too many commits would be, but that's another topic.

But this night be a discussion to have withint the same toic. I feel like others we have some great momentum with recruiting. What happenes when we get a bunch of commits and we still have plenty of offers out there and then we start saying no to players that we had originally wanted? Is it ok to start pulling offers based on the fact we have already received commits from others at that position? Would we ever accept a commit only to recind it because another player, someone we feel is better, commits?

Or hell, do these things already occur?

OSU handles this by offering noncommitable offers. Once it is clear what their top targets are leaning to, they change it from noncommitable to commitable. If they offer a commitable and a prospect commits they don't want commitment just yet, they ask the prospect to hold off yet (I don't know how they word in on the phone for those situations, but that is the big picture of how it goes down).

How would you like to make or get that call "We would like you to play at OSU, OK while maybe or maybe not, we have 2 other guys we want more so we will get back to you if they don't pan out" This is how teams get to play it if they are picking not recruiting.

We always cast a wide net. We have to with little local talent. Nothing shady or "ole miss" about lots of offers. Accepting too many commits would be, but that's another topic.

But this night be a discussion to have withint the same toic. I feel like others we have some great momentum with recruiting. What happenes when we get a bunch of commits and we still have plenty of offers out there and then we start saying no to players that we had originally wanted? Is it ok to start pulling offers based on the fact we have already received commits from others at that position? Would we ever accept a commit only to recind it because another player, someone we feel is better, commits?

The key is honesty and communication. Typically, we have a plan to take a set number of players at a position and once those spots are gone, then any other outstanding offers at that spot are rescinded. We might keep in touch with a kid just in case a spot opens up, but as long as we're honest about where they stand, there is nothing unethical about pulling an offer. They had their chance.

Of course, certain high value kids may be told they have an offer no matter what, but most are warned that spots can fill up if they take too long.

Now, pulling an offer from a kid that already committed (or changing it to a gray shirt at the last minute, against the kid's will) is the type of SEC shady behavior that we don't participate in. The only case I can recall off hand was when the kid and his coach were dishonest with our staff. Obviously, misbehaving or flunking school could also get your offer pulled with good reason.

As I said, it's all about honesty and communication and I'm proud that NU does it the right way and treats kids with respect.

• Fire 1

:yeah Good description.

We know not everyone is going to commit so you go after a lot of guys and start to whittle down after you get a feel for who is really interested. If you want/need 3 LBs, you probably offer 20-25. Perhaps you take the first three who commit out of your top 15 and the other 5-10 know from the start that their offer is really only good if we don't get three of our high priorities.

This is how I look at it. Nebraska could send offers out to the top ten players at each position in the country. That would be 220 initial offers (240 counting K and P). I don't think the staff or fans would complain if we got a committment from the #10 rated CB in the country and decided to move on to the rest of positions. I don't believe the staff is offering "plan B" at this point yet, although I could be completely wrong.

As far as pulling offers once a position is filled, happens all the time. Coaches are up front with players and tell them, "we are taking 2 players at your position this year. We want you, but we have other offers out too. Yadadad....

."

Yup. I'd just add that they don't offer a set number at each position, they typically offer everyone that meets whatever criteria they have to be a top level player and then move to the next level down (plan b, c, etc) if they aren't getting anywhere with them. That was TO's practice, at least, and I assume bo does the same. The important thing is to grade kids well and also to establish good relationships with your backup plans just in case.