Conference pride??

BCS1994

I'm ecstatic that we're in the B1G, and I take pride as a Husker fan that we're members. I think it will take time for Husker fans to acclimate to the B1G culture in taking a positive interest on how other conference members perform, because we left a conference whose culture and rules were to submit to the wishes and desires of the University of Texas, where a lot of Husker fans had no problems praying to the Prince of Darkness in hopes that the Longhorns were subjected to humiliations and failures against any and all opponents.

:hookerhorns

So now I'm wondering out loud......Do Ohio State fans cheer on Michigan and care how they perform, and does Michigan return the favor for Ohio State ?

Yes of course.

That's a problem...why do you have to hate Ohio State? Please don't let it be because of the 2012 game...

It's because you remind us of Texas. It's not because we lost to you guys in the Shoe.

Ohio State & Michigan run the Big Ten just like Texas & Oklahoma ran the Big XII.

The best recruits in the conference are in your backyard (just like Texas) and Michigan has to cross the border to recruit (just like Oklahoma).

You both are large, wealthy universities that are successful in a number of sports.

You're just the new Texas in our minds, that's all.

For the record, I don't mind Urban Meyer. He's a hell of a lot better than Mack Brown.

• Fire 1

Conference pride is unbelievably stupid. I am amazed at how the SEC's circle jerk keeps growing in intensity and ESPN getting caught up in it gives it an illusion of legitimacy. I thought it was stupid the first time I heard the amazingly creative "SEC!" chants in the BCS championship games in 2006 and/or 2007.

I just don't get how you can root for the teams in the bowl season that you hate during the regular season. I don't care if Wisconsin or Michigan plays Alabama/LSU in the national championship game and the SEC has won the past 30 national titles, I will never root for the badgers or wolverines and I would hope that they get clobbered back to the stone age.

• Fire 1

It's because you remind us of Texas. It's not because we lost to you guys in the Shoe.

Ohio State & Michigan run the Big Ten just like Texas & Oklahoma ran the Big XII.

The best recruits in the conference are in your backyard (just like Texas) and Michigan has to cross the border to recruit (just like Oklahoma).

You both are large, wealthy universities that are successful in a number of sports.

For the record, I don't mind Urban Meyer. He's a hell of a lot better than Mack Brown.

The OSU-Texas comparison is a very lazy and superficial assessment. I don't think you can make a comparison of any team in the Big 10 to UT. The Big 10 has equal revenue sharing, unlike when we were in the Big 12, where Texas had the most influence because they brought in the most revenue. Everyone has an equal say in the meeting rooms in the Big 10. You can't always draw a correlation from on-field performance to board room politics. OSU is nothing like Texas in my opinion. Pretty good fans, much less cocky than Texas fans in my experiences with them. Michigan fans are unbelievably more cocky than OSU fans so if you absolutely had to name one team that compares to UT, I would say Michigan. But our gripes with Texas are unique and I don't think we'll have a relationship with any other team like we had with UT.

• Fire 2

I'm ecstatic that we're in the B1G, and I take pride as a Husker fan that we're members. I think it will take time for Husker fans to acclimate to the B1G culture in taking a positive interest on how other conference members perform, because we left a conference whose culture and rules were to submit to the wishes and desires of the University of Texas, where a lot of Husker fans had no problems praying to the Prince of Darkness in hopes that the Longhorns were subjected to humiliations and failures against any and all opponents.

:hookerhorns

So now I'm wondering out loud......Do Ohio State fans cheer on Michigan and care how they perform, and does Michigan return the favor for Ohio State ?

Yes of course.

cough-bullsh*t-cough :P

for me its because in the news etc. you hear over and over and over again about how Michigan and OSU are the two biggest baddest and best schools the big has to offer (purely from a football perspective) when frankly that is not necessarily the case.

in fact the most winningest program of all time is Michigan (even though they started football programs before most schools!) then comes Nebraska, not OSU.

1. Michigan

2. Nebraska

3. OSU

4. Penn St.

Thats the order of all time wins in the big inside the top 20. To me NU and Penn St. are just as important programs as are Mich and OSU but that is not the way it is portrayed in sports media.

Fans of other teams within the conference will tell you the same, ive heard it from them too...

So you're real question was "Why do some Husker fans hate Ohio St.?" but you hid it behind "Do Husker fans have any conference pride?"?

Those are totally different questions.

Personally, I didn't have anything against Ohio St. until Tre$$el tried to cover up major violations and now Meyer (whom I previously liked) tries to walk in the door and act like he owns the place. Does he have any conference pride or does he think he knows better than everyone else?

So you're real question was "Why do some Husker fans hate Ohio St.?" but you hid it behind "Do Husker fans have any conference pride?"?

Those are totally different questions.

Personally, I didn't have anything against Ohio St. until Tre$$el tried to cover up major violations and now Meyer (whom I previously liked) tries to walk in the door and act like he owns the place. Does he have any conference pride or does he think he knows better than everyone else?

Not at all, someone above stated they didn't like Ohio State, and then another person above stated they would never root for Wisconsin/Michigan.

And i don't think Meyer thinks he owns the place, he went a whole year in the conference and observed. He didn't say one thing about the differences he sees in the B1G and SEC until just recently. The SEC at the moment is better than the B1G and Meyer sees that and he wants the conference to improve. I don't get why people make it a big deal of what he said. All he said was the B1G needs to change some things to get back on track. IT'S TRUE. When the conference does better, the individual teams do better. That's why i always root for B1G teams against other conferences. Because when my team plays them, it makes my team look better when we win. :)

BCS1994, so when Meyer says, "things need to change", what is that? I didn't have respect for Tressel recruiting tactics nor do I for Meyer, so are we to be more like the $EC? If so, in what ways?

Well every coach goes after kids and tries to flip them until signing day...every single coach. That's not a bad recruiting tactic.

“We do need to as a conference need to keep pushing that envelope to be better,” Meyer said “Our whole conversation [at the Big Ten coaches meeting] needs to be about ‘how do we recruit?’ When you see 11 of the SEC teams are in the top 25 that’s something that we need to improve.”

And you know what, i think Meyers presence is helping the B1G. From the 2011 year, to 2012, 4 schools increased their recruting budget by 96k+. 10 schools increased their budget in general. Nebraska increased its recruiting efforts from $478,554 to $757,681. I think part of this increase is because of Meyer, maybe that's just me, but i doubt it.

The OSU-Texas comparison is a very lazy and superficial assessment. I don't think you can make a comparison of any team in the Big 10 to UT.

I can.

And I did.

It's just for the sake of conversation. I'm not saying they're a spitting image of Texas, but they, along with Michigan, sit atop the Big Ten throne just like the Sooners and Longhorns did. And the recruiting similarities are almost exactly the same.

I can.

And I did.

It's just for the sake of conversation. I'm not saying they're a spitting image of Texas, but they, along with Michigan, sit atop the Big Ten throne just like the Sooners and Longhorns did. And the recruiting similarities are almost exactly the same.

I went back and reread your post and I did kind of jump the gun, apologies for that.

The specific comparisons you make are valid and those factors mirror each other closely. I had taken it to mean that you were implying that we will inevitably have the same sort of relationship with OSU that we did with UT. That relationship with UT is what I was saying was unique, and based on different factors that I don't think we will see be replicated ever again. Point is, I think we're both right since we are speaking to slightly different issues. As you were.

I can.

And I did.

I went back and reread your post and I did kind of jump the gun, apologies for that.

The specific comparisons you make are valid and those factors mirror each other closely. I had taken it to mean that you were implying that we will inevitably have the same sort of relationship with OSU that we did with UT. That relationship with UT is what I was saying was unique, and based on different factors that I don't think we will see be replicated ever again. Point is, I think we're both right since we are speaking to slightly different issues. As you were.

Agreed. :horns