Kirk Ferentz is doing all he can to kill Big Ten football

WoodyHayes1951

maybe they just don't think its worth investing the time as they aren't seeing the return in commits.

Says the only other team that did not recruit any Florida kids this year.

Iowa can't afford to fire Ferntz as the AD was a moron and gave him a ridiculous buyout clause. Would have been $20mil if they would have fired him after this year's 4-8 debacle. By the time they get rid of him Iowa will be in 14th place in the conference. And still be running their mouths about how much better a program they are than other conference members.

It isn't about wins, it's about the wholesome quality and integrity of the team and fanbase.

maybe they just don't think its worth investing the time as they aren't seeing the return in commits.

This. One of the links showed that Iowa is not getting any mileage out their Florida recruits. How far down on the pecking order are the Florida players who would go to Iowa?

As for Ferentz in general, he's probably the best Iowa can hope for. While his strategy isn't very sharp, he seems to get the most out of a limited talent supply. One chart from a few years ago compared wins to recuiting rankings and they found that Iowa got the most value out of their 3*s.

This. One of the links showed that Iowa is not getting any mileage out their Florida recruits. How far down on the pecking order are the Florida players who would go to Iowa?

As for Ferentz in general, he's probably the best Iowa can hope for. While his strategy isn't very sharp, he seems to get the most out of a limited talent supply. One chart from a few years ago compared wins to recuiting rankings and they found that Iowa got the most value out of their 3*s.

So he misses on a few kids from one state, so that state comes off the board? That's just idiotic. Florida is one of the top 3 talent producers out there, so instead of pick the guys he offers better, he's just taking his ball and going home. Top that with his defense of this year's recruiting rankings by saying he thought last year's class was over rated.... Enjoy the cellar of the division Iowa.

Outside of producing college qbs I would put Florida talent ahead of both California and Texas.

If teams like UCF and USF were kicking ass in their jr conferences then I'd agree. But I don't see huge talent disparities in their bowl games. IMO Florida produces a large number of speed position players due to a number of factors, but something special in the water is not one of them.

Outside of producing college qbs I would put Florida talent ahead of both California and Texas.

If teams like UCF and USF were kicking ass in their jr conferences then I'd agree. But I don't see huge talent disparities in their bowl games. IMO Florida produces a large number of speed position players due to a number of factors, but something special in the water is not one of them.

That's probably because the upper tier talent (though not top) that it would take for them schools to dominate are winding up elsewhere at bigger name schools in other parts of the country. A lot of the Florida talent does leave the state too.

Blaming the state of Florida for the failure of hand-selected and groomed recruits is asinine. If anything this article points to a failure of identifying talent that fits your system, or a failure to develop that talent. This IS a little odd with a well-established program like Ferentz's. It seems like he has shown an ability to develop talent that fits what he does, so I guess I would put the blame on recruiting decisions and targets.

Maybe they need better recruiters on staff. Either way it is going to be a while until they are strong again.

Looks like the Hero's Trophy is going to keep looking brand-new in our display case. Another (yawn) new rivalry that doesn't measure up to NU-OU.

Blaming the state of Florida for the failure of hand-selected and groomed recruits is asinine. If anything this article points to a failure of identifying talent that fits your system, or a failure to develop that talent. This IS a little odd with a well-established program like Ferentz's. It seems like he has shown an ability to develop talent that fits what he does, so I guess I would put the blame on recruiting decisions and targets.

Maybe they need better recruiters on staff. Either way it is going to be a while until they are strong again.

Looks like the Hero's Trophy is going to keep looking brand-new in our display case. Another (yawn) new rivalry that doesn't measure up to NU-OU.

It will probably take a coaching change, or two. I can't see Iowa getting to the top half of what will be the West. He hired an OC who couldn't move the ball against teams who tended to treat defense as an optional part of the game. This conference actually takes defense seriously. And Iowa is not going to out talent Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU or even Northwestern.

What is nice is the local Iowa fans have really shut up the last two years.