Team Updates - pre-Spring Edition

knapplc

If there is going to be a rb that's going to redshirt this year, it's probably going to be Taylor. Newby is a crazy threat in the return game, he can be what Abdullah was 2 years ago. Give him a select number of packages in the offense, but have him focus on the return game and catching punts.

I like Cross going crazy on the field and just punishing a defense.

Too many guys are going to need to be watched, mostly along the defensive front 7, where we had a very good class last year and they pretty much all redshirted.

Season hinges on the DL. Hopefully VV is what we think he is.

Valentine and Randle being 100%. We need more than one DL that cause cause hell for the OL. With the talent at DE, we could be a brutal force. Could be, being the key word. Lol

Did I see that he is going to miss some/all of spring ball with an injury?

Last I heard, is he was doing very well after his surgery and is expected to play and start in the beginning of the season. He may miss some or all of the spring game to let him heal 100%, rather than risking injury and have less depth. There is rumor that McMullen could be moving inside as well, kind of being that hybrid lineman. He is open to it as well, as long as he is able to see the field.

If there is going to be a rb that's going to redshirt this year, it's probably going to be Taylor. Newby is a crazy threat in the return game, he can be what Abdullah was 2 years ago. Give him a select number of packages in the offense, but have him focus on the return game and catching punts.

Hopefully Newby can be the guy who can actually field a punt on the team! Did he return them in high school?

I like Cross going crazy on the field and just punishing a defense.

Too many guys are going to need to be watched, mostly along the defensive front 7, where we had a very good class last year and they pretty much all redshirted.

Honestly, what makes Newby better than Taylor? Besides him being higher in the top RB in the country?

Adam Taylor- 6'2" 200 LBS

2012- 333 attempts, 2,753 yards, 8.3 yards per carry, 44 TD's

Terrell Newby- 5'10" 180 LBS

2012- 301 attempts, 2,305 yards, 7.7 yards per carry, 45 TD's

The only difference, is the star ranking and size of these two guys. Taylor being that more traditional sized RB. Both will gain some weight, but I think its a little early to say who will RS and who won't basing everything off of film and reports from their high school days. These guys haven't even started practice. There is more to running the ball. If Taylor runs a tad bit under Newby, but is an exceptional blocker and knows the offense better, he will most likely get the start. I just think its way too early to say one is going to start over another. All I know, both kids will be a contributor, whether its this year or the next two/three.

I think he was referring to the fact that Newby has a little more 'make you miss' and could see action earlier, in the return game, because of it.

I personally think Taylor will be a better RB in the long run because of his power. Love his running style.

The sky is the limit for our running game.

Bo Pelini was on Sports Nightly tonight, here's some updates:

From Pelini, about the youngsters on defense, "We’re not dialing back at all. We’re going to put them through the ringer. We’ll do some things differently to make it a little bit more user-friendly, for young guys especially to start (the spring). See what they can handle. We’re going to make some adjustments to things that we’ve done defensively and ways we’ve done it, and let these guys — so their athleticism can come out. Let them play football."

A few nuggets from Jon Nyatawa and the OWH:

-On the days that the Huskers work out in full pads this spring, they will conduct scrimmages, Pelini said. Every day. That isn’t normal for NU under Pelini. But… “We have a young group defensively, guys that we need to find some things out about,” Pelini said. “The only way is to roll it out there and play some live football.”

-Pelini said there will be some experimenting on the defensive line regarding third-down packages. Just don’t plan on seeing too many guys who play multiple spots (it’s assumed that defensive end Jason Ankrah, not mentioned by Pelini Wednesday, could play some defensive tackle). More from Pelini on the topic: “We’re going to do a couple different things front-wise, where guys, just by sheer structure of the defense, are going to move at little bit — so sometimes our ends are going to be playing inside.”

-At safety, Pelini mentioned junior Corey Cooper (dime back last year), junior Harvey Jackson (reserve safety), sophomore Charles Jackson (backup nickel) and freshman D.J. Singleton (joined the program this semester) as guys who will take reps. There are other potential candidates as well — like senior Wil Richards or redshirt freshman LeRoy Alexander. But if none of those players earn the coaches’ confidence, well, then “there’s a couple other corners who I think potentially could be safeties,” Pelini said. Pelini didn’t identify those versatile cornerbacks.

-He talked about the tight end spot, too. Said Pelini: “After (senior) Jake Long, we need some guys that are going to have to step up. I think we have the potential there.”

• Fire 5

I think he was referring to the fact that Newby has a little more 'make you miss' and could see action earlier, in the return game, because of it.

I personally think Taylor will be a better RB in the long run because of his power. Love his running style.

The sky is the limit for our running game.

That.

I think Newby is going to spend a lot of time as a return man while Taylor is going to be the main back. Kind of similar to what we did with Helu and Burkhead. Except after Martinez leaves there is going to be a lot more carries to spread around because while Armstrong and Stanton are capable of running (more Stanton than Armstrong) they're not nearly as good or have the home run ability that Martinez has. But both of them start out as better passers than Martinez as a freshman.

Bo Pelini was on Sports Nightly tonight, here's some updates:

From Pelini, about the youngsters on defense, "We’re not dialing back at all. We’re going to put them through the ringer. We’ll do some things differently to make it a little bit more user-friendly, for young guys especially to start (the spring). See what they can handle. We’re going to make some adjustments to things that we’ve done defensively and ways we’ve done it, and let these guys — so their athleticism can come out. Let them play football."

A few nuggets from Jon Nyatawa and the OWH:

-On the days that the Huskers work out in full pads this spring, they will conduct scrimmages, Pelini said. Every day. That isn’t normal for NU under Pelini. But… “We have a young group defensively, guys that we need to find some things out about,” Pelini said. “The only way is to roll it out there and play some live football.”

-Pelini said there will be some experimenting on the defensive line regarding third-down packages. Just don’t plan on seeing too many guys who play multiple spots (it’s assumed that defensive end Jason Ankrah, not mentioned by Pelini Wednesday, could play some defensive tackle). More from Pelini on the topic: “We’re going to do a couple different things front-wise, where guys, just by sheer structure of the defense, are going to move at little bit — so sometimes our ends are going to be playing inside.”

-At safety, Pelini mentioned junior Corey Cooper (dime back last year), junior Harvey Jackson (reserve safety), sophomore Charles Jackson (backup nickel) and freshman D.J. Singleton (joined the program this semester) as guys who will take reps. There are other potential candidates as well — like senior Wil Richards or redshirt freshman LeRoy Alexander. But if none of those players earn the coaches’ confidence, well, then “there’s a couple other corners who I think potentially could be safeties,” Pelini said. Pelini didn’t identify those versatile cornerbacks.

-He talked about the tight end spot, too. Said Pelini: “After (senior) Jake Long, we need some guys that are going to have to step up. I think we have the potential there.”

Threadworthy. Shouldve posted a thread sir.