Current Health of the Walk-on program

Does anyone know or have numbers on the current walk-on program? I remember that being a major criticism of the previous two coaches who downsized it. Supposedly Pelini recharged the program and was going to try not to lose any in-state kids in recruiting battles. I just haven't heard anything about it recently, and I wonder if a strong walk-on program could help us when there are injury and depth issues, like we had on the D line. I guess the D line is harder to get the right kids in there that will be effective, though.

Well, three of our starting offensive linemen last season started out as walk-ons. And we had a top-ten rushing attack. So I'd say our walk-on program is healthy. Probably the best walk-on program in the nation.

Does anyone know or have numbers on the current walk-on program? I remember that being a major criticism of the previous two coaches who downsized it. Supposedly Pelini recharged the program and was going to try not to lose any in-state kids in recruiting battles. I just haven't heard anything about it recently, and I wonder if a strong walk-on program could help us when there are injury and depth issues, like we had on the D line. I guess the D line is harder to get the right kids in there that will be effective, though.

It is in good shape again. Heck, two are from the state of IL and another from Texas. There was one or two (don't remember exactly) that went the JUCO route so they could play earlier and develop. Both of them could become options for Nebraska after this recruiting cycle if they show what is needed to get an offer.