Soccer!!!

HSKR

Any soccer, errr football fans out there? A year ago I would have laughed if someone told me I would be following soccer but I am. Always liked Tim Howard when I would casually watch the US play which got be to watching him play this year in the EPL for Everton and now I find myself a fan of the Toffees and a trip to Goodison Park is getting high on my sports bucket list. I have learned a TON this year not only about the game but some of the history is pretty incredible imo. I knew the sport was big worldwide but I after reading up on it, I'm actually a little embarrassed that I didn't realize how big of an impact it has in other countries.

As for the MLS, I will give it more of try this year since the season is just starting but it is like watching AAA baseball compared to the EPL when you look at the salaries.

Speaking of EPL, I cheer for Chelsea FC.....have been a fan for about 5 years....

MLS, Seattle Sounders....took in a game in September....Their fans are wild, it was the best sports experience that i have been to since game 163 between the Twins/Tigers at the Metrodome a few years back.......

I grew up playing soccer so I enjoy watching it but I don't follow it that closely. Actually the only games I'll stop and watch are the national games (World Cup qualifiers or friendlies). Soccer is one of those sports where if you know and understand it, you'll enjoy watching it. If you don't, you'll hate it.

The more I watch it, the more I wished that I had the chance to play when I was younger.

Speaking of EPL, I cheer for Chelsea FC.....have been a fan for about 5 years....

MLS, Seattle Sounders....took in a game in September....Their fans are wild, it was the best sports experience that i have been to since game 163 between the Twins/Tigers at the Metrodome a few years back.......

I just hope that Chelsea doesn't take away Everton's coach this summer as some rumors have stated.

When my family lived in Seattle back in the 70's and 80's, my parents would take me to a Sounders game. Even watched a couple of indoor soccer matches.

I just hope that Chelsea doesn't take away Everton's coach this summer as some rumors have stated.

I would be lying if I said that the possibility doesnt have me a little giddy....

Best thing about soccer is, you can turn it on and tune it out and keep it as background noise, and there aren't commercials every two minutes. I despise commercials.

The funny thing is a lot of the European broadcasts don't do much for commercials even at halftime. They replay highlights and throw up the stats. Maybe it's because they realize everyone is off to the bathroom at half so the value of commercials is less for soccer. :)

One thing I wonder about soccer is even though they get money from sponsors to plaster their name all over their shirts, does that in return hurt the sales of team's gear? I hope pro sports in the US never start doing that, although I have heard the NBA could be headed that way. I would be much more likely to buy a shirt or jersey, etc, if it identified with the team and the city, not the sponsor. I'm a pretty big NASCAR fan but I buy very little gear because I think most of it looks ridiculous. I think the same goes for Soccer. Put the corporate logo on the field, leave it off the shirt and instead make kick ass uni's that sell like crazy.

Could anyone imagine buying a Husker Jersey with a big "Super Saver" on it?

Best thing about soccer is, you can turn it on and tune it out and keep it as background noise, and there aren't commercials every two minutes. I despise commercials.

The funny thing is a lot of the European broadcasts don't do much for commercials even at halftime. They replay highlights and throw up the stats. Maybe it's because they realize everyone is off to the bathroom at half so the value of commercials is less for soccer. :)

One thing I wonder about soccer is even though they get money from sponsors to plaster their name all over their shirts, does that in return hurt the sales of team's gear? I hope pro sports in the US never start doing that, although I have heard the NBA could be headed that way. I would be much more likely to buy a shirt or jersey, etc, if it identified with the team and the city, not the sponsor. I'm a pretty big NASCAR fan but I buy very little gear because I think most of it looks ridiculous. I think the same goes for Soccer. Put the corporate logo on the field, leave it off the shirt and instead make kick ass uni's that sell like crazy.

Could anyone imagine buying a Husker Jersey with a big "Super Saver" on it?

Or a Hinky Dinky logo?

Great, Tim Howard is out again tomorrow for Everton against Wigan in the FA cup with two broken bones in his back. Going to be out for weeks and miss games for the US as well. Honestly, I am more concerned for him not playing for Everton then USA.