Saturday Delivery - USPS

So....let me get this straight. Congress and government basically has screwed up running the USPS and some people want them in more control of other industries like health care?

Hmmmmm.....OK.

republicans really know what they are doing. they run programs into the ground and then argue that the gov't should not be in control of anything. it is like hiring a vegan to be your butcher.

You're hilarious. You act like Democrats run things to a T. How many years have the Dems been in control of the White House and Congress. Did USPS make money during those years?

At best, you are claiming (and I'll agree) that programs like this get tied up into politics and it tears the program apart. Pardon me if I don't care for my health care to be tied up into some dip sh*t politicians personal vendettas against another party or trying to get elected.

And, yes...I would feel more comfortable with a decision being made by someone trying to make money off of it.

So....let me get this straight. Congress and government basically has screwed up running the USPS and some people want them in more control of other industries like health care?

Hmmmmm.....OK.

republicans really know what they are doing. they run programs into the ground and then argue that the gov't should not be in control of anything. it is like hiring a vegan to be your butcher.

You're hilarious. You act like Democrats run things to a T. How many years have the Dems been in control of the White House and Congress. Did USPS make money during those years?

At best, you are claiming (and I'll agree) that programs like this get tied up into politics and it tears the program apart. Pardon me if I don't care for my health care to be tied up into some dip sh*t politicians personal vendettas against another party or trying to get elected.

and you act like when the democrats have control of the white house and congress republicans have no power. are you saying that because usps is failing that the gov't cannot effectively run any program? all i am saying is that the gov't can run programs effectively if that is a united goal.

And, yes...I would feel more comfortable with a decision being made by someone trying to make money off of it.

like denying healthcare benefits?

UPS and Fedex are not lobbying to get into the big business of delivering 50 cent letters to cattle ranches in Aurthur county. There is no money to be made in the majority of USPS's business. It is by design a public service that guarantees mail service to every household. It does still provide an economic benefit for consumers too by facilitating small item e-commerce and competing with what would otherwise be a duopoly for package delivery.

I guess using BigRedBuster's logic, we would be better off if USPS was killed and it cost 10x more for letter service with UPS or Fedex, and the proof would be an astronomical profit margin in a captive market, as is the case with health care?

• Fire 3

Hmmmmm.....OK.

I've wondered about this. If the goal is reducing the size of government and the means to that end is arguing that government is inefficient . . . than Republicans have an incentive to gridlock Congress.

That logic, if correct, would certainly help explain some of DC's dysfunction.

I guess using BigRedBuster's logic, we would be better off if USPS was killed and it cost 10x more for letter service with UPS or Fedex, and the proof would be an astronomical profit margin in a captive market, as is the case with health care?

That's the thing . . . profit isn't (or at least shouldn't be) always the goal.

UPS and Fedex are not lobbying to get into the big business of delivering 50 cent letters to cattle ranches in Aurthur county. There is no money to be made in the majority of USPS's business. It is by design a public service that guarantees mail service to every household. It does still provide an economic benefit for consumers too by facilitating small item e-commerce and competing with what would otherwise be a duopoly for package delivery.

First of all....

I don't think anyone is arguing with you on the points in your first paragraph. It is a public service. For many years (I'm assuming it still is) it was illegal for someone like UPS or Fedex to directly compete with USPS. Even when I was a teenager I found that odd. If someone else can do it more efficiently, then why not let them?

UPS and Fedex have proven one thing. Doing a delivery service like USPS can be profitable and extremely efficient in the private sector. Most of the time when I want to send anything other than a 50¢ letter, it is more efficient and cheaper to use the other two and not USPS. They have tried very hard to get into this market and failed.

Now, back to the original topic of the thread....NONE of this has anything to do with Saturday delivery. Anyone or any group claiming this is going to destroy the USPS is fear mongering. It is a smart decision because most USPS customers don't see Saturday delivery as a benefit anymore. So, they can deliver the same amount of mail in 5 days instead of 6. Logic would show that this would be the same amount of revenue and decrease the cost of operation.

I think it's a bit like rural electrification: the government stepped in to level the playing field for those who can't afford huge infrastructure projects, none of which harmed the private enterprises that sprung up around it.

Left soley to the free market, it would be relatively cheap for a business in New York City to mail something to Washington D.C. or Philly or Chicago or even Los Angeles, based on volumne demand. Wheras it would be prohibitive for Grandma in Wood River, Nebraska to send a birthday card to her grandaughter in Biddiford, Maine.

Also, as someone who has worked for his share of Fortune 500 companies, I can assure you that a profit motive in no way assures efficiency.

I think it's a bit like rural electrification: the government stepped in to level the playing field for those who can't afford huge infrastructure projects, none of which harmed the private enterprises that sprung up around it.

Left soley to the free market, it would be relatively cheap for a business in New York City to mail something to Washington D.C. or Philly or Chicago or even Los Angeles, based on volumne demand. Wheras it would be prohibitive for Grandma in Wood River, Nebraska to send a birthday card to her grandaughter in Biddiford, Maine.

Also, as someone who has worked for his share of Fortune 500 companies, I can assure you that a profit motive in no way assures efficiency.

If Grandma dropped off the letter at the post office she could certainly afford to send a letter to her granddaughter - who might also have to pick it up at a P.O.

I see a lot of people making the assumption the Postal Service = 5-6 Day Per Week Home Delivery.

It doesn't. It wasn't really that long ago folks dropped off and picked up mail at a local post office.

We are headed back in that direction where residential home delivery should be 1-2 days a week in cities, and rural residential should go back to local P.O. boxes. Business needs to remain at 5-6 days per week though.

Nothing would be wrong with this... and the USPS might actually turn a p****t while continuing to serve a vital role in our society.

I love how they have to advertise "Mail" now. Like it's some radical idea that we hadn't thought of. "Oh hey, I think I'll try this whole "sending a physical document" thing...it sounds fun!"

So yes, the decision made by a bunch of 60 year old men and probably heavily lobbied for by a postal worker's union is a great example of our government's colossal inefficiency. Throw enough money at them and they'll do whatever! I need to get mail on Saturdays, what would I do without my 8000th Capital One Card application or that HyVee coupon book or that Eastbay Catalog! And god forbid I have to wait until Monday to receive...you know, I can't think of a single thing that I actually receive in the mail that I actually need. Cable, electric, gas, cell phone, credit card...i get all of my bills and statements online (and who wouldn't? It's 1000x easier). God forbid we save a bunch of money by limiting a dying service to 5 days a week