Iraq War

And I guess that's where I think one of the issues are. Sometimes I think the "tactical considerations" aren't emphasized enough, and that the big picture may muddle how things are perceived.

I certainly agree that Bush/Cheney (and everyone who voted for the war on the intelligence provided) should have spent more time thinking about the tactical problems of invading and occupying Iraq.

You think WW II would have taught them a lesson about trying to fight a war on two separate fronts...

Tactically, the US military has major problems and I don't hear many people talking about it.

Ever since the Korean and Vietnam wars, the bad guys of the world know how to defeat the US. You don't wear a uniform and you incorporate women, children and elderly into the battle.

The military people don't want to be in that situation and the minute pictures and stories hit the news in the US, public opinion of any war or conflict goes in the tank.

And I guess that's where I think one of the issues are. Sometimes I think the "tactical considerations" aren't emphasized enough, and that the big picture may muddle how things are perceived.

I certainly agree that Bush/Cheney (and everyone who voted for the war on the intelligence provided) should have spent more time thinking about the tactical problems of invading and occupying Iraq.

You think WW II would have taught them a lesson about trying to fight a war on two separate fronts...

Not to mention Vietnam (France and US), the Russians in Afghanistan, etc.

Tactically, the US military has major problems and I don't hear many people talking about it.

Ever since the Korean and Vietnam wars, the bad guys of the world know how to defeat the US. You don't wear a uniform and you incorporate women, children and elderly into the battle.

The military people don't want to be in that situation and the minute pictures and stories hit the news in the US, public opinion of any war or conflict goes in the tank.

When you're the baddest conventional warrior in the world adversaries will only fight you in unconventional ways. Luckily, we should only have to worry about this when we choose to invade and occupy another country.

Not to mention Vietnam (France and US), the Russians in Afghanistan, etc.

Technically there weren't any static fronts in Vietnam or Afghanistan.

The way America fights wars has to be totally rethought. Strikes have to be made quickly, not worrying about "holding ground" but, wiping out the enemy and eliminating any resources and infrastructure. Once thats done, moving on and finding the next target.

When you're the baddest conventional warrior in the world adversaries will only fight you in unconventional ways. Luckily, we should only have to worry about this when we choose to invade and occupy another country.

We shouldn't be occupying anyone. Eliminate the enemy, make sure there aren't any left. If there is a possibility of somebody coming along later to restart the fight, make sure you leave them with nothing to do so or make it immensely difficult to do so...

Forgive me if someone has posted this somewhere. Powerful stuff:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/tomas-young-dying-iraq-war-veteran-writes-last-letter-to-bush-and-cheney-20130320

The Last Letter

To: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney

I write this letter on the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War on behalf of my fellow Iraq War veterans. I write this letter on behalf of the 4,488 soldiers and Marines who died in Iraq. I write this letter on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of veterans who have been wounded and on behalf of those whose wounds, physical and psychological, have destroyed their lives. I am one of those gravely wounded. I was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in 2004 in Sadr City. My life is coming to an end. I am living under hospice care.

• Fire 2

We shouldn't be occupying anyone. Eliminate the enemy, make sure there aren't any left. If there is a possibility of somebody coming along later to restart the fight, make sure you leave them with nothing to do so or make it immensely difficult to do so...

I agree.

Totally agree. I have not understood the mindset that after we 'win' the conflict, we feel the need to rebuild the stuff we just knocked down. Stupid modern 'war' mindsets.