East-West not necessarily best for NU

Their dominance is more scheme than simple physical overpowering. I happen to remember a certain maligned blackshirt unit stonewalling a Wisconsin rush attack for 60 minutes last September.

I remember last december that same nebraska defense getting torched for 70. I'd rather have won the december meeting than the september meeting when it meant a lot less. We squeaked by a lot of teams last year. Now it's time to improve on that.

Their dominance is more scheme than simple physical overpowering. I happen to remember a certain maligned blackshirt unit stonewalling a Wisconsin rush attack for 60 minutes last September.

I remember last december that same nebraska defense getting torched for 70. I'd rather have won the december meeting than the september meeting when it meant a lot less. We squeaked by a lot of teams last year. Now it's time to improve on that.

That's the whole frickin point. Again, you spout off something completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Poster *suggested* (I say suggest because he didnt say it word for word) that Wisconsin was completely superior physically. Well, I disagreed with it by pointing out that the same defense that had been torched by Wisconsin twice on the ground, has also stonewalled their run game once.

My land, people act like Wisonsin's been beating our ass for decades, when it's only happened twice. One of which with a quarterback that will wind up being one of the best to ever play the game.

Whatever.

That's the whole frickin point. Again, you spout off something completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Poster *suggested* (I say suggest because he didnt say it word for word) that Wisconsin was completely superior physically. Well, I disagreed with it by pointing out that the same defense that had been torched by Wisconsin twice on the ground, has also stonewalled their run game once.

My land, people act like Wisonsin's been beating our ass for decades, when it's only happened twice. One of which with a quarterback that will wind up being one of the best to ever play the game.

Whatever.

:confucius

They (Wisconsin) have crushed, mauled, brutalized and embarrassed us 2 of the three times they played us. They have a much more physical team than NU. They are crafted as an anti-NU machine (their strengths unfortunately match well to our weaknesses and so they expose us badly). There is nothing that suggests that things will change overly in the immediate future. Yes. Wisconsin owns NU and are far more likely to win the west than NU on average.

I'm sure that most of their coaches and all-time NCAA TD leader leaving will have no effect.

This.

Plus even if they still had bielema, its scary that people are starting to fear sconsin.

Its wisconsin. They're good but they're not good.

Whatever.

:confucius

Russel Wilson

Whatever.

they changed their coaching staff and made adjustments, we did not. We had the series lead on Texas before the merger and soon when we were in conference they started to beat us. We only won 1. things quickly change.

Before we start saying Russell Wilson will be one of the best let's hold off on that until he can duplicate what he did his rookie season.

Whatever.

they changed their coaching staff and made adjustments, we did not. We had the series lead on Texas before the merger and soon when we were in conference they started to beat us. We only won 1. things quickly change.

Before we start saying Russell Wilson will be one of the best let's hold off on that until he can duplicate what he did his rookie season.

OMG!!! So it was scheme??!!. WOW!! Funny how it works out being exactly what I said to begin with. Intradesting.

Barring injury, Russell Wilson is going to be great-->fact.

Whatever.

OMG!!! So it was scheme??!!. WOW!! Funny how it works out being exactly what I said to begin with. Intradesting.

Oh i thought Bo said he knew how to stop the run? He in fact did not how to stop the run.

Oh i thought Bo said he knew how to stop the run? He in fact did not how to stop the run.

You got me-I have no idea where youre taking this. This was a discussion based on Wisconsin's physicality vs scheme and now youre talking about Texas, Big 12 and Bo P. soundbites. I'm lost. I'm out.

Does it matter? We'll be up to 18 -20 teams in no time and this whole evaluating thing starts over again.

In many ways you're probably right NebraskaHarry, and this is probably not to far away from happening (Next 10 years or so).

I keep reading and hearing all of this talk about how Jim Delaney and the Big Ten Conference has their eyes set on Georgia Tech, North Carolina, & Virginia. Virginia & North Carolina make some sense. However, Georgia Tech in my personal opinion is a big smoke screen. And the only way North Carolina is leaving the ACC is if Duke comes with them.

Granted, the two most vulnerable conferences right now are the ACC & the Big 12. Delaney has successfully expanded his conference eastward with two more schools in Maryland & Rutgers. I think his real play soon could be to raid the Big 12, make that conference collapse, and push the Big Ten Conference to 20 teams (10 teams in each division...which makes the "BIG TEN" name actually make sense). But what this move would really do is surround the venerable SEC Conference.

So which teams do Jim Delaney and the Big Ten choose from? Let us first start with what the Big Ten will look like 2014.

In 2014 the Big Ten will have 14 teams:

1. Illinois
  2. Indiana
  3. Iowa
  4. Maryland
  5. Michigan
  6. Michigan State
  7. Minnesota
  8. Nebraska
  9. Northwestern
  10. Ohio State
  11. Penn State
  12. Purdue
  13. Rutgers
  14. Wisconsin

​REMEMBER THIS IS ALL JUST FOR FUN & HYPOTHETICAL GUESSING

However, remember what is important to the Big Ten in its expansion search for similar institutions. They are looking for schools that are:

• Association of American Universities (AAU) members
  • Located in strong TV markets
  • Located in a growing population base

Now let's keep in mind what the Big Ten was after in its previous expansions:

• Penn State & Nebraska brought in 2 tradition rich football powers
  • Maryland & Rutgers secured the Big Ten footprint on the east coast while also going after huge TV markets.
  • My guess...the next small expansion will be about basketball powers in some manner (Kansas, North Carolina...and maybe Duke)

If Delaney were to go after schools to bring his conference up to 20 schools any one of these schools could be in play (in no particular order):

• Duke (AAU member. Traditional power in basketball. Would only join Big Ten if North Carolina also joins.)
  • Kansas (AAU member. Traditional power in basketball)
  • Kansas State (NOT an AAU member. Would only be included if Kansas joins Big Ten)
  • Iowa State (AAU member. Already has CYHawk trophy rivalry with Iowa.)
  • Missouri (AAU member. Brings Kansas City & St. Louis TV markets. Restores rivalry with Nebraska. If Kansas joins it would also restore the Border War)
  • North Carolina (AAU member. Traditional power in basketball. Would only join Big Ten if Duke also joins.)
  • Oklahoma (NOT an AAU member, but huge traditional power in football. Would restore Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry to go alongside Michigan & Ohio State. Can you imagine that weekend of football?? Good Lord!)
  • Oklahoma State (NOT an AAU member. Would only be included if Oklahoma joins Big Ten)
  • Virginia (AAU member. Brings Washington D.C. TV market. Strong academic school)
  • West Virginia (NOT an AAU member. Would only be included if Virginia joins Big Ten. Virginia & West Virginia would provide border & regional rivalries with Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, & Rutgers....maybe more so in recruiting.)

So who does the Big Ten leave out? Two obvious schools:

1. Notre Dame (I really think the Big Ten has finally given up on Notre Dame. I might be wrong, but I think this ship has sailed.)
  2. Texas (I don't think the Big Ten wants to deal with Texas politics, plus there is no way Nebraska would vote to include the Longhorns into the Big Ten. Ultimately, I think Texas winds up in the SEC or Pac 12).

Here is my hypothetical division options IF...I repeat....IF the Big Ten goes to 20 teams. Again in no particular order:

SCENARIO #1

Big Ten West (additions will be in BOLD):

1. Illinois
  2. Iowa
  3. Kansas
  4. Kansas State
  5. Minnesota
  6. Nebraska
  7. Northwestern
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Oklahoma State
  10. Wisconsin

Big Ten East (additions will be in BOLD):

1. Indiana
  2. Maryland
  3. Michigan
  4. Michigan State
  5. Ohio State
  6. Penn State
  7. Purdue
  8. Rutgers
  9. Virginia
  10. West Virginia

SCENARIO #2

• Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Northwestern
  • Purdue
  • Wisconsin

• Duke
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Rutgers
  • Virginia

SCENARIO #3

• Iowa
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Wisconsin

• Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Northwestern
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Purdue
  • Rutgers

In Conclusion:

I do think in the next decade the Big Ten will eventually go to 20 teams. I also think the rumors of them expanding south are true, but they might not just expand south on the east coast. They could also expand south in the midwest which would thus surround the SEC on both sides.

This was just for fun while I had some free time watching the NCAA Tournament. As a Nebraska fan for the better part of the last 25+ years, I would really love to think that one day we could restore our rivalry with Oklahoma some way. Maybe the Big Ten will provide that chance when it expands again.

Feel free to change up those proposed divisions that I mentioned above. And MODS please feel free to move this post if you don't think it belongs in this section.

Ahh the offseason.....

Anyway, stay classy Husker fans! GO BIG RED!

• Fire 2