Big Ten Football Teleconference Recap

Michigan

@B1Gfootball

The first coach on the #B1G spring call is MICH's Brady Hoke - MICH returns 14 starters and spring game is scheduled for April 13.

Hoke on redshirting QBs - best players have to play, whether a fifth-year senior or true freshman. If not, you cheat kids on the team.

Hoke on return of OL Taylor Lewan - having a guy with that experience, All-American, it's great. He can be a tremendous leader & mentor.

Hoke on QB Devin Gardner - his intelligence level and football instinct is very high, very competitive, leadership & effort is great

Next on call is MICH OL Taylor Lewan - first-team All-American & Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of Year returns for senior year.

Lewan says goal is Big Ten Championship, we understand the legacy that team 134 has to build upon

Lewan on decision to stay - truly my own, everyone put two cents in, when I thought about it, there's no better decision I could have made

Lewan on QB Gardner - taken on leadership rule, control of offense, calms everyone down, excited about what he's done & will continue to do

Lewan on OL - everybody's got a nasty streak, guys understand opportunity with positions opening up, competition makes everyone better

@ESPN_BigTen

Brady Hoke opens call with a shootout to John Beilein and Michigan basketball team on their run to national title game.

Michigan backup QB Russell Bellomy will have ACL surgery May 1, Hoke says. Hoke adds that RB Fitz Toussaint has had great spring.

Hoke says Michigan has signed some players to multiyear scholarships but many factors (academics, off field) make it year to year deal

Brady Hoke says Michigan will look at junior college quarterbacks and graduate transfers to address lack of depth at quarterback.

Hoke adds that Michigan has to feel good about players in the program, but with limited numbers, need to monitor who's out there.

Michigan LT Taylor Lewan on decision to stay: "There's no better decision I could have made than coming back to the University of Michigan."

Lewan says QB Devin Gardner "has done a great job of taking control of the offense. I'm really excited about what he's done."

Lewan says Michigan working much more under center this season. Mentions Michigan has some "maulers" up front like Ben Braden.

Taylor Lewan thinks DE Frank Clark has All-Big Ten potential. Calls him "extremely athletically gifted." Jibreel Black also has stood out

• Fire 1

Iowa

@B1Gfootball 55s

Next coach on call is IOWA's Kirk Ferentz - returns 16 total starters and controlled scrimmage set for April 27.

Ferentz on QBs - only been on field six times, still a three-horse race, no preconceived notions, rotating all 3 every few snaps.

Ferentz on O-line - we lost 2 pretty good players, but I feel good about where we are, 6-7 guys playing really well.

Next on call is IOWA LB James Morris - 2-time Academic All-American & honorable mention All-Big Ten pick returns for senior year.

Morris on spring practice - going well, guys are healthy, shaking rust off, but energy is good, I like where we are as a defense.

Morris on LB Hitchens - started as a S, then RB, then all of a sudden a LB, came into his own, instinctive, athletic, makes plays in space

Morris on keys to D - biggest thing is consistency, played red-zone D very well, need to channel that approach to everything we do.

@ESPN_BigTen now

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz says Des Moines open practice is an opportunity to thank fans in central and western Iowa, eastern Nebraska

Ferentz: still a three-horse race at quarterback with Rudock, Sokol and Beathard. Reps have been even, getting work w/ 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams

Ferentz on new assistants: "We've had a lot of transition in the last 16, 17 months. It's fun to see it all come together."

Ferentz says when you go 4-8, there's no passing the buck or sticking your head in the sand. Lot to improve. "It starts with me."

Iowa LB James Morris says defense is as healthy as it has been in a while. Likes the energy so far through spring practice.

Iowa's James Morris on Des Moines practice: "It's something to break the monotony of spring ball. This will be something different."

Morris on LTP: Anticipating he'll be back 100 percent when it's time to go this fall.

Iowa's Morris says defense needs to channel red zone approach to everything they do on defense. Communication also must improve. Better now

Morris on legacy seniors want to leave: "The mark we've left so far, if we're being completely honest, isn't a particularly good one."

• Fire 1

Nebraska

@B1Gfootball

Next coach on call is NEB's Bo Pelini - returns 12 starters and spring game was held last Saturday.

Pelini on OL Spencer Long - All-American, really developed well on and off field, has a bright future even beyond NEB.

Pelini on D-line - made some great strides, especially second half of spring, it's a work in progress, but I like the potential

Pelini on kicking game - saw no negatives to Brett Maher doing both, didn't get sore, you have to find best person to handle each job.

Pelini on QB Martinez - night and day from his freshman year, really grown alot as a QB, leader and person, brings great work ethic

Next on call is NEB QB Taylor Martinez - first-team All-Big Ten pick after leading #B1G in total offense returns for senior season.

Martinez on spring practice - should have a lot of talent on offense, lost guys on defense, but a lot of talented freshmen.

Martinez on passing O - we'll be throwing the ball a lot more, WRs so talented, all can catch ball & score, especially with Abdullah at RB

Martinez on cancer patient scoring TD - awesome, really exciting to hand him ball & guide him to TD, one of the loudest I've heard stadium

Martinez on RB Abdullah - great RB, didn't practice in spring, but looked great coming into spring, moving well, catching ball

@ESPN_BigTen

Nebraska's Bo Pelini says LB David Santos will miss several weeks of workouts but expects all banged-up defenders back for start of camp.

Pelini: "Jared Afalava did some really good things. Probably further ahead of where I thought he'd be." Thinks LB will be productive player

Pelini says they gave "a little more freedom" to senior DE Jason Ankrah this spring. "Hopefully, his best year is yet to come."

Huskers don't talk postseason losses: "It's obvious. You want to win 'em all. What happened last year happened. It's over and you move on."

Pelini says senior QB Taylor Martinez is a "better player by far than he was last fall."

Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez: "We'll be throwing the ball a lot more this coming fall." Receivers so talented, mentions Abdullah as threat

Martinez: "I'd rather throw the ball 30 times a game … get the football to those guys and let them do their thing."

Martinez on offense: "The expectations are high for all of us." Says OC Beck more confident in calling plays. Should be better than last yr

Martinez says Jack Hoffman's touchdown run in spring game was among the loudest he's ever heard crowd at Memorial Stadium.

@HuskerExtraBC

On teleconference, Bo says Santos out of workouts a few weeks with injury. Says Santos, Valentine, McMullen all will be ready for fall camp.

Pelini praised Jared Afalava's progress at linebacker. "Probably a little bit further ahead of where I thought he’d be."

Martinez on teleconference too. Hasn't done media days & things like this in past. Might need to now if #Huskers want to push him for awards

Martinez talks, as he has before, about how he'd love to throw it more. Said he'd rather NU throw it 30 times a game.

By the way: General mood of fans regarding Taylor seems slightly changed to me. More love. I know it's April, but sense a different vibe...

...It just feels like the winds are shifting some when it comes to Martinez and how some #Husker fans view him. Am I reading it wrong?

@RKaipustOWH

Bo Pelini and Taylor Martinez coming up shortly on Big Ten media teleconference. Will pass along anything worthwhile.

Bo Pelini says nothing significant with Santos, Valentine and McMullen (all missed spring game). All be ready in August.

Pelini drops LB Jared Afalava as a possible surprise this spring. "Think he's going to be a very productive guy for us."

One positive for Nebraska defense, Pelini says, is #Huskers should hopefully have more depth than they've had there for a while

Pelini says progress continues w/QB Taylor Martinez: "I think the best is yet to come with Taylor -- and that's saying a lot"

Martinez likes idea that Nebraska might throw it a little more in 2013. Sez good way to utilize weapons at receiver.

@RobinWashut

Bo Pelini said Greg McMullen and Vincent Valentine and David Santos would all be ready to return to action for the start of fall camp

Pelini highlighted Jared Afalava as a spring standout. "I think he's going to be a very productive player for us."

Pelini said d-line "made some great strides" over the course of spring. Said the unit had a lot of potential.

Taylor Martinez said NU will be throwing the ball "a lot more" this season b/c of the weapons they have on offense.

Martinez said it would be "awesome" to throw the ball 30 times a game.

Martinez said Ameer Abdullah looked as good as he'd ever seen him prior to his knee injury this spring.

Martinez said Thomas Brown, David Santos, Zaire Anderson and Brodrick Nickens all stood out to him on defense this spring.

EDIT - These were retweeted by Robin Washut. I thought it was funny that Kenny Bell and Quincy Enunwa liked Taylor's comments about passing the ball more...

@QuincyEnunwa 9m

�� RT@ESPN_BigTen: Martinez: "I'd rather throw the ball 30 times a game … get the football to those guys and let them do their thing."

@AFRO_THUNDER80 7m

@ESPN_BigTen: Martinez: "I'd rather throw the ball 30 times a game … get the football to those guys and let them do their thing."” ��������

• Fire 4

Michigan State

@B1Gfootball

Next coach on call is MSU's Mark Dantonio - returns 17 starters and spring game is scheduled for April 20.

Dantonio on live QBs - last year we only had 1 healthy QB, this year we had 3, so they took live hits every practice, that was a big change

Dantonio on D - look at players, gotten better in recruiting & developed players, continuity on staff is key, along with game experience

Dantonio on LB Bullough - outstanding spring, better than last year, diagnosing & recognizing, plays with chip on shoulder, never satisfied

Next on call is MSU LB Max Bullough - first-team All-Big Ten pick and second-team Academic All-American returns for senior season.

Bullough on spring - alot of live situations, guys competing, stepping up in different areas, D is where we need to be, need more turnovers

Bullough on legacy - my family has quite a legacy at MSU, with dad, grandpa, uncle, just want to add to that legacy, make my family proud

Bullough on MSU's elite D - have to mention continuity of staff, everyone has good players, having same concepts is key, we just play fast

Bullough on motivation - last year motivated us, would have liked to win more, but put everything into perspective, need to move forward

@ESPN_BigTen

Mark Dantonio says Kevin Cronin is the Spartans' No. 1 placekicker right now.

Dantonio says staff continuity, player development and game experience has led to MSU defense becoming elite.

Dantonio: DeAnthony Arnett has potential to be big play guy but needs more consistency and physicality. "He's taken big steps this spring."

Dantonio on RB situation: We need a guy who can carry it 250 times, and I don't know if we have that yet.

Dantonio says Michigan State could look at players from other positions at running back.

Michigan State LB Max Bullough says the defense needs to get more turnovers and sacks this season.

Bullough said last year "put things in perspective for us." Using it as motivation to move forward.

• Fire 1

Minnesota

@B1Gfootball

Next coach on call is MINN's Kerry Kill - returns 18 starters and spring game is scheduled for April 27.

Kill on spring - kids doing a good job of doing what we ask, working really hard, kids are developing in weight room, moving forward

Kill on Crawford-Tufts & track - done very well, got great speed, has proven he can handle classroom & both sports, takes maturity

Kill on QB Phillip Nelson - always get questions when you pull redshirt, but experience was great, made him much more comfortable in spring

Kill on DB Brock Vereen - comes from tremendous family, great athlete, tremendous worker, brother is playing in NFL, keeps getting better

Next on call is MINN DB Brock Vereen - Academic All-Big Ten selection started 7 games at safety last year & returns for senior season.

Vereen on spring - going well, guys are flying around, we have a sense of confidence, comfortable with system, makes it easier to get better

Vereen on changes among DBs - plenty of guys that may not have started, but got experience, we're a tight-knit group, great chemistry

Vereen on DE Rashede Hageman - from off field to locker room, heightened level of focus, hungrier than ever, will be a top playmaker

@ESPN_BigTen

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill says running track has helped WR Devin Crawford-Tufts' confidence

Kill said it proved to be smart pulling QB Philip Nelson's redshirt last year. Said experience really helped him and shows this spring.

Kill says safety Brock Vereen could follow his brother and play in the NFL. Says he's turned into a great player.

Minnesota's Brock Vereen says team is "finally comfortable with coach Kill's system" and is practicing with confidence this spring.

Vereen says DT Ra'Shede Hageman has "a heightened level of focus. He's hungrier than he's ever been."

Vereen on Minnesota's ability to contend in the Legends: "We're closer than a lot of people think. ... We're going to shock some people."

• Fire 1

Northwestern

@B1Gfootball

Next coach on call is NU's Pat Fitzgerald - returns 17 total starters and spring game is scheduled for April 13.

Fitzgerald on putting 503 on jerseys - We realized we were 5:03 from being undefeated, we're building on the positive

Fitzgerald on team speed - we set out 8 years ago to improve team speed, upgrade athleticism, become a consistent winner, then a champion

Fitzgerald on recruiting - we try to find right fit, love recruiting Chicagoland, but also recruit nationally, character is important

Next on call is NU DE Tyler Scott - honorable mention All-Big Ten & Academic All-Big Ten, tied for #B1G lead in sacks, returns as senior

Scott on spring - been going well, hard to believe only two more practices, as a senior, it's flown by fast, getting young guys reps

Scott on 5:03 - I knew we were close to being unbeaten, 3 games we lost we just needed to make 1 more play, 5:03 made it top of mind

Scott on improvements - I've tried to be more vocal leader, I'm more lead by example, but I need to push younger guys

@ESPN_BigTen

Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald: Doesn't matter what we've done in the past. Matters what this team is willing to sacrifice.

Fitzgerald: I truly believe Kain and Trevor can lead us to a championship at QB.

Fitzgerald mentions Zack Oliver, C.J. Robbins, Mike Jensen, Jack Schwaba among spring standouts. Says Tyler Scott is taking next step.

Pat Fitzgerald: I have a fundamental problem offering a scholarship to a kid who doesn't have a driver's license.

FItzgerald says Wildcats secondary has seen the biggest increase in team speed and size.

Northwestern's Tyler Scott says he's worked on becoming a more vocal leader and using his hands more on pass rush.

• Fire 1

I will only be recapping the Leaders Division coaches from Ohio State, Wiscy and Penn State, the three odds-on favorites to win the division. Or, in the case of Penn State, our crossover game (since they can't play for the B1G Championship).

First up, the Buckeyes and Urban Meyer...

Ohio State

Big Ten Football@B1Gfootball

The first coach on call is OSU's Urban Meyer - returns 14 total starters and spring game is scheduled for April 13.

Meyer on spring game - front 7 on defense has made tremendous improvement, I want to see that in a game situation

Meyer on Adolphus Washington - tremendous person, great attitude & effort, but not an angry player, and needs to play angry.

Meyer on DL Noah Spence - plays very hard, hoping he'll be All-Big Ten candidate, good grades, serious guy

Meyer on QB Braxton Miller - doing much better job in communication, leadership, one of first guys out there, alot of energy.

Next on call is OSU OL Jack Mewhort - 2nd-team All-Big Ten pick started every game at LT last season and returns for senior year.

Mewhort on QB Braxton Miller - grown up a lot, as a player, leader and off-the-field, it's been good to see, I watch him grow everyday

Mewhort on OL - 4 guys coming back, need to step up as leaders, 2 guys competing at RT, they bring different things to the table.

Mewhort on OSU offense - depends on execution, definitely have weapons & QB, a lot of guys coming back, need to step up, potential is there

Rittenberg/Bennett@ESPN_BigTen

Urban Meyer: "We’ve lost some very good defense we have to replace or we won’t be as good. It's simple."

Meyer mentions the receivers and the defensive line as two groups he'll be watching closely in spring game.

Meyer mentions Tyvis Powell as a guy who has stood out this spring. Powell has grown up a lot, improved academically and on field

RB Rod Smith has had excellent spring for Buckeyes, Meyer said. Likely won't play in spring game after suffering concussion this week.

Meyer says DE Adolphus Washington always graded well in attitude, effort, but didn't play with anger that he needed to until recently.

OSU still lacking numbers at wide receiver. Urban: "We’re way behind on quality of depth at that position. That’s a major, major concern."

Meyer adds that with two good tight ends and Jordan Hall moving to H position, can help depth but still need a lot more to run this offense

Meyer says RB depth chart now is Carlos Hyde, then Rod Smith. Dunn and Ball are even for No. 3 spot.

Spring game last chance for players to improve their stock on depth chart. Meyer says spring about winning jobs, fall about winning games.

Ohio State T Jack Mewhort says QB Braxton Miller has more responsibility as a leader now. "He's starting to recognize that more and more."

Mewhort says right tackle "is up in the air right now. I'm glad to see two young guys working like that." Taylor Decker and Chase Farris

Jack Mewhort on leadership: "I welcome that. I see that as an honor, being compared to a guy like John Simon. I also see it as a challenge."

Mewhort on playing spring game in Cincinnati: "It adds a sense of excitement. … It's an honor to go play in Paul Brown [stadium]."

Samuel McKewon@swmckewonOWH

Urban Meyer: "A lot of times the spring game makes or breaks whether we'd trust them to play in a game."

Meyer approaches spring as: If you win the job in spring, it carries over to fall. Fall camp is about winning games, not winning jobs.

Ohio State will travel to Cincinnati for its spring game. Play it there. Game atmosphere.

• Fire 1

Wisconsin

Next coach on call is WIS' Gary Andersen - enters first year at WIS with 17 returning starters and spring game is scheduled for April 20.

Andersen on recruiting - know what we want to be on offense & defense, then look at needs, need to be in best position to win next year

Anderson on philosophy - important in football & life, there will be a winner & loser, brings competitiveness, kids need to look in mirror

Andersen on OL - young men have handled transition well, line built on good players, tough-minded, they're seeing a lot of defensive looks

Andersen on QBs - Stave & Phillips have separated themselves, mix up first-team snaps, that will remain the same

Next on the call is WIS LB Chris Borland - 2-time first-team All-Big Ten choice & 2009 Freshman of Year returns for senior season.

Borland on facing WIS O - line has been blocking well, been a challenge, but steel sharpens steel, so things have gone well.

Borland on loss of DE David Gilbert - he'll be missed, but we've got plenty of guys, plus we can bring pressure in a myriad of ways.

Borland on new coaches - we've hit it off with Coach Andersen, player-oriented coach, we've got a lot of respect for him.

Wisconsin's Gary Andersen: "One of our goals every day in practice is to have winners and losers." Players have adjusted to that.

Andersen says Wisconsin's recruiting focus with the offensive line won't change going forward. Will be more adjustments on defense.

Andersen on QBs: "Joel and Curt have separated themselves." Both are working with first-team offense. Will continue into fall camp.

Andersen really pleased w/ way O-line has worked through another transition. Bonded well with assistant TJ Woods, seeing lot of looks on D.

Andersen says UW had 7 healthy O-linemen last week, hopes to have 10 by spring game. "Those kids have grinded through it every single day."

GA: players know where QBs stand. "If they put all their friendships aside, their depth chart would look exactly like our depth chart."

Andersen says important to be open to community. Wants to open more practices next year and other elements of program. Great approach.

Andersen says there haven't been many surprises in transition, but biggest challenge is building trust and bond with players.

Wisconsin LB Chris Borland says offense is "back to a true pro-style" this spring. Had some tweaks last year under OC Matt Canada.

Borland says defense will miss David Gilbert but has others -- Dippel, Kelly, Jesse Hayes -- to help pass rush. Hayes has had good spring

@dave_heller 4m

Borland: Strength program has been the most different. Do things quicker. Cardio-vascular program. More preventative care. #badgers

Retweeted by Rittenberg/Bennett

Borland: "We’ve hit it off as a team with Coach Andersen from the get-go. Everybody’s got a lot of respect for him." But all about winning

• Fire 1

Penn State

Next coach on call is PSU's Bill O'Brien - returns 16 total starters and spring game is scheduled for April 20.

O'Brien on expanding offense - not easy for any of our QBs, we have to do fantastic job of teaching it well & making sure players understand

O'Brien on spring - been really impressed by guys effort in practice, retention with what we learned fall, bunch of good kids

O'Brien on RBs - we have three RBs that have all competed very hard, Zwinak, Belton & Lynch, each guy has improved, pleased with RBs

Next on call is PSU OL John Urschel - 2nd-team All-Big Ten & 1st-team Academic All-American graduated in 3 years, working on master's degree

Urschel on spring - good 2nd spring for us under O'Brien, last year we were getting used to coaches, how we practice, we're more comfortable

Urschel on math vs. football - I like to hit the defense, you're only young once, I'm blessed to go out and practice and have fun.

Urschel on QBs - I see how they control huddle, getting us into good plays, both QBs have done great job of that

PSU coach Bill O'Brien says it's tough for all QBs to pick up his offense. "We have to do a fantastic job of teaching it well."

O'Brien is very excited about three starting LBs -- Carson, Hull, Wartman -- but notes they need to keep them healthy. Not much depth at LB

O'Brien says QBs Bench and Ferguson haven't made many mental errors. Important for everyone to have patience w/ them, including himself

O'Brien on RBs: Zwinak likely would start right now if season began, but all three -- Zwinak, Belton, Lynch -- will get reps.

O'Brien happy with entire RB group this spring. Belton has had good spring and Lynch has "improved every single day of spring practice."

O'Brien not considering moving any players to LB. Not really any obvious guys to move. Will just monitor reps closely w/ starters, reserves

O'Brien says QBs getting equal reps, both have had ups and downs. There's enough time for one to separate before end of spring ball.

PSU G John Urschel: "This spring, we're much more comfortable with each other, the players with the coaches, the coaches with the players."

Urschel says C Ty Howle has done a great job "taking his game to another level. I don't think we're going to miss a beat at that position."

Urschel says while he has noticed the team having less contact this spring, it's not a dramatic change for the offensive linemen.

Urschel: "If you want to talk quarterbacks, you're probably talking to the wrong person in the wrong position group.”

Urschel is more in tune with how QBs manage huddle, system knowledge. Says both are picking things up quickly and showing leadership.

Urschel: first-team OL right now is himself and Miles Dieffenbach at guard, Adam Gress and Donovan Smith and tackle and Ty Howle at center.

Urschel, who has been awesome on this call, says reporters simply missed how good Ty Howle is. Says he always has seen Howle's potential.

• Fire 1