alumni speak on current Huskers situation

he should make an honest and whole-hearted attempt to get some of the former players and coaches re-connected to the program. That would be the best for the future of the program 

Wait let me get this straight, an OPEN invitation to come to practice and talk to players and coaches isn't ENOUGH? He has to do more? Obviously you think Bill Callahan's schedule is pretty empty during the year. Lets take a look and see what Bill Callahan has on his plate

1-Recruting kids during gamedays

2-Recruiting kids on the road during the season

3-Recruiting kids on the road during the offseason

4-Constant recruiting on the phone on and offseason

4-Attending Recruits games and checking them out before other schools can

5-Spring Practice

6-Fall Practice

7-Gameweek preperation, anaylsis, film breakdown with players and coaches

8-Hosting charity events like the Breast cancer walkathon and other charity's

7-Big Red Breakfest meetings with boosters and fans

8-Coach Callahan Show

9-Film breakdown of possible future recruits for the next years class

That's just for starters. If they don't want to come by THEIRSELF then so be it, but don't tell me Callahan has to do more then he already has. The guy barely gets a chance to spend time withy his wife and kids. He's not going to go running after grown men pleading them to come see him just because they don't feel "COMFORTABLE" with the new coaching staff. It's tjhe ex players responsibilites to go there, and talk to the players and coaches. Callahan is trying to coach a football team, not rekinddle some long lost love with players and coaches. Milt Tenipoir is usually at practices, so the excuse of they don't know anyone is just BS in my book.

he should make an honest and whole-hearted attempt to get some of the former players and coaches re-connected to the program. That would be the best for the future of the program 

Wait let me get this straight, an OPEN invitation to come to practice and talk to players and coaches isn't ENOUGH? He has to do more? Obviously you think Bill Callahan's schedule is pretty empty during the year. Lets take a look and see what Bill Callahan has on his plate

5-Spring Practice

6-Fall Practice

8-Coach Callahan Show

That's just for starters. If they don't want to come by THEIRSELF then so be it, but don't tell me Callahan has to do more then he already has. The guy barely gets a chance to spend time withy his wife and kids. He's not going to go running after grown men pleading them to come see him just because they don't feel "COMFORTABLE" with the new coaching staff. It's tjhe ex players responsibilites to go there, and talk to the players and coaches. Callahan is trying to coach a football team, not rekinddle some long lost love with players and coaches. Milt Tenipoir is usually at practices, so the excuse of they don't know anyone is just BS in my book.

I understand that he has his own agenda and own responsibilities, but if he honestly understands and respects the traditions that are NU football, in the off season, he should make an honest and whole-hearted attempt to get some of the former players and coaches re-connected to the program. That would be the best for the future of the program 

thats what he really posted, and hes right, if BC wants them to be part then he should try to find a way to try to reach them, make a serious effort if thats what he wants, others in the athletic department could make more of an effort too. an open invatation doesnt really sound that warming IMO, so i can understand why some may be inactive, considering they know few in the program now.

5-Spring Practice

6-Fall Practice

8-Coach Callahan Show

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:thumbs

thats what he really posted, and hes right, if BC wants them to be part then he should try to find a way to try to reach them, make a serious effort if thats what he wants, others in the athletic department could make more of an effort too. an open invatation doesnt really sound that warming IMO, so i can understand why some may be inactive, considering they know few in the program now.

Really? And what exactly does that mean? Call every ex player in the past 25 years and say "hey, can you come and talk to the players, give them perspective..yada yada yada"

If not every ex player, then who gets that priority phone call over someone else. If you think some players are not feeling it now, imagine how it would be if an ex player called another and said "yeah, i had a long chat with Bill Callahan, he's an alright guy, he invivted me over to his house anytime or to come see him in the office." You don't think that other player is going to say "well screw him since he hasn't called me".

Besides..it's not Bill Callahan's job or the University's job to continue to reach out to the ex players, they should be the ones reaching out. The University has done all it can do to reach out. Did we not host the 1995 National Team this year? Did we not bring in all the current players on NFL rosters? Have they not given an open invitation to attend practice? Have they not received letters saying the weight room and the S&C staff are available to them at ANYTIME?

The coaches have better things to do then waste time on the phones unless it's going to benefit the program (i.e talking to a recruit) and the AD is not going to waste time on the phone when they have an expansion project going, schedules to make..etc

Some people i tell ya..there's never any pleasing them. They are negative just to be negative

It's a two way street. If you are a former Husker and, say, you want to attend a practice. Do what everyone else on earth does when they want something from someone, PICK UP THE PHONE. I am sure the AD's office number is easy enough to find.

It's great that you played at Nebraska, but some people are talking like former players should receive gold laced invitations to a practice or something.

Yes, these are new coaches that no one really knows. That hasn't happened in a VERY long time at NU. It is understandable, I guess, that people don't know how to act around new people. Well, not really. If you want to continue to keep your fingers on the pulse of the team as a former player, hell, call em up and tell Callahan that you would like to meet him if he has time in the near future. If he can't do that, go to a practice or something. Again, like normal people do. Keep in mind that he, like any D1 coach, is a busy guy.

I would have to say that ex-players, coaches, and the wonderful Mr. Pedey are all at fault. This discussion reminds me of a couple of kids on the playground telling the teacher the other one started it.

The solution isn't that complicated, mabye logistiacally but someone like the AD should be able to put it togethor. Create a once a month ex-player banquet and invite players from a 5 year period back to interact with the players, coaches, and see the new things going on in the North Stadium. If the coaches won't find the time, shame on them and if the players won't the same goes there.

Where are they going to get the money for that. They have a 65 million dollar expansion project going on that isnt fully paid for, and im guessing that the players arent going to want to pay for there own meal. We also had about 180 kids on those teams. The coaches and the AD have zero responsibility beyond what they have allready done. It would be nice if these players who sit around whining about how things have changed and how they dont feel welcome actually tried to call Bill Callahan, or go to a practice. The honus is on them, not the current staff, so they need to grow up and act like adults instead of two year olds whose favorite toy was taken away.

Really? And what exactly does that mean? Call every ex player in the past 25 years and say "hey, can you come and talk to the players, give them perspective..yada yada yada"

If not every ex player, then who gets that priority phone call over someone else. If you think some players are not feeling it now, imagine how it would be if an ex player called another and said "yeah, i had a long chat with Bill Callahan, he's an alright guy, he invivted me over to his house anytime or to come see him in the office." You don't think that other player is going to say "well screw him since he hasn't called me".

I think that calling ever one personally would be a little overboard, but Im sure that the Athl. Dept. has a list of football alumni, and could easily put out a form letter to former players signed by the coaches/AD requesting that they have a more active part in the progam.

Unlikely, but a great idea would be to have an "alumni weekend" during late spring/summer where former players could come in, look over the improvements, get familiar with coaches. Heck, a great idea would be to do it during summer camps/conditioning, maybe former players would be able to bond with current players.

Besides..it's not Bill Callahan's job or the University's job to continue to reach out to the ex players, they should be the ones reaching out. The University has done all it can do to reach out. Did we not host the 1995 National Team this year? Did we not bring in all the current players on NFL rosters? Have they not given an open invitation to attend practice? Have they not received letters saying the weight room and the S&C staff are available to them at ANYTIME?

Actually, from what I have heard, some former players have tried to do just that, and they feel as if they have been cast aside, and actually feel unwelcomed by the powers that be. Besides, if I remember correctly, the 95 team/coaches were allowed only very, very limited interraction with the current team during their 10 yr NC celebration.

The coaches have better things to do then waste time on the phones unless it's going to benefit the program (i.e talking to a recruit) and the AD is not going to waste time on the phone when they have an expansion project going, schedules to make..etc

Where are they going to get the money for that. They have a 65 million dollar expansion project going on that isnt fully paid for, and im guessing that the players arent going to want to pay for there own meal. We also had about 180 kids on those teams. The coaches and the AD have zero responsibility beyond what they have allready done. It would be nice if these players who sit around whining about how things have changed and how they dont feel welcome actually tried to call Bill Callahan, or go to a practice. The honus is on them, not the current staff, so they need to grow up and act like adults instead of two year olds whose favorite toy was taken away.

What the 2 of you fail to realize is that even if it is for a purely selfish reason, it would be in the best interest of the program (especially pud and billy c) to get these former players firmly behind the program and its direction. Ya see, lots of those guys played in the NFL, lots of them became lawyers, insurance, investment, and real estate brokers/salesmen, business owner, esentially, lots are very successful. Maybe if these guys felt more connected to, and better received by the current regime, they would help fund the little expansion project.

Also, who would be better ambassadors for the program then guys that played for BD/TO/FS who would tell others, "I never played for billy c, but I really believe in the program and those who are running it now."

Some people i tell ya..there's never any pleasing them. They are negative just to be negative

Yes, yes you are , especially when it has anything to do with Husker traditions of the past, <_<

An alumni weekend or dinners for various classes would actually be a perfect political move, take the pressure away from the administration, and not be that expensive. Say you have 750 ex-players at around $50 a plate you are looking at $37,500. Now that's a lot to me but a drop in the bucket compared to 65 million, and though I hate to agree with former, you have enough ex-players with plenty of cash that the money you spend would simply become an investment that brings in a couple million. Actually if I was Pedersen and taking enough heat on the project not being funded yet I'd pay the $38,000 from my own pocket hoping for the return on investment. He could more than make up for it in bonuses if it worked out.

Now that being said, the administration has to do it correctly, Pedersen needs to eat a little crow and apologize but there's no reason it couldn't be done.

Ex-players and administration needs to realize this program isn't great because of the option or power I. It's great because of the passion, quality kids, coaches that truly care about their players, and desire for everyone to reach the same goal of not only championships but team unity.

Amazing how your comments have shifted alot lately to "well i heard". Give me some facts. This whole "well i heard such and such" is getting to sound like a broken record. I too could play the "well i heard card". I could have easily dropped the line "well i heard NU's coaches sent out a letter to every player and ex coach to come to practice, have lunch with them and meet them and ask questions, but they decided they don't want to". There would be no way for you to verify it just like no one can verify what you "heard" <_<

Provide some factual data next time or something that even hints to the many things you have heard lately

Amazing how your comments have shifted alot lately to "well i heard". Give me some facts. This whole "well i heard such and such" is getting to sound like a broken record. I too could play the "well i heard card". I could have easily dropped the line "well i heard NU's coaches sent out a letter to every player and ex coach to come to practice, have lunch with them and meet them and ask questions, but they decided they don't want to". There would be no way for you to verify it just like no one can verify what you "heard"  <_<

Provide some factual data next time or something that even hints to the many things you have heard lately

Funny, same how you heard about the CU-NU logo incident. :dumdum Youre the last person to be demanding facts, everything you throw out there is personal opinion or hearsay.

BTW, please tell me, how am I supposed to provide "facts" when it comes to something that I have heard maybe on the radio or TV, or how am I supposed to document a personal conversation???