Huskerboard Favorite Scotch or Whiskey Thread

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Day 1 of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Hit the Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark and 4 Roses distilleries today. The best bourbons we tasted were Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek Single Batch, Makers, and 4 Roses Single Batch. Bookers was pretty harsh, as were the other 4 Roses. I like honey bourbons but Beam's wasn't very good. We're hitting the rest on the tour tomorrow, plus Buffalo Trace.

Day 1 of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Hit the Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark and 4 Roses distilleries today. The best bourbons we tasted were Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek Single Batch, Makers, and 4 Roses Single Batch. Bookers was pretty harsh, as were the other 4 Roses. I like honey bourbons but Beam's wasn't very good. We're hitting the rest on the tour tomorrow, plus Buffalo Trace.

Did you try Jim Beam Black double aged 8 year? I think that's my new fav bourbon. (I like George Dickel Black label better. But it's from Tennessee, so technically not a bourbon.)

I can't remember if Beam Black double was available for tasting or not, but we did not try it.

Day 2 was just as good. Started at Buffalo Trace (their namesake has been my favorite "daily" drinker), Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and finished at Town Branch in Lexington. Wild Turkey's Special Reserve Single Barrel and Rare Breed single were probably the best we tried. Town Branch, a new distillery, was surprisingly good at a reasonable price. They also have a bourbon barrel ale which from a small taste may be my new favorite beer, though it's unfortunately not available here and in very few places west of the Mississippi.

It was a really good trip. If you're a real bourbon fan and love to sip them, it's worth a trip. If you're more of a mixer of mid-level bourbons like me, it's still fun, especially if you're nearby, and this will at least partially convert me to a sipper of the finer smooth bourbons. Maybe do it as an add-on to a trip to Indy. It's a great way to try a bunch of bourbons and learn some things, and drive around some pretty Kentucky countryside, and you can pick up some great bourbons not available elsewhere (better prices at liquor stores than at the distilleries since they don't like to compete with their own customers). We did 4 full tours, 1 mini-tour, and at 3 of them we just looked around a bit on our own and joined a tasting (partly to get all 8 in, and partly because we were getting burned out on seeing the distilling process so often.

• 1 month later...