Battle of the Hall-of-Famers: Mike Rozier vs. Ron Dayne

• 1 month later...

It's insulting that sporting pages title their articles things like "Ron Dayne highlights 2013 HOF ballot." Really Ron Dayne.....

Ron Dayne was a beast of a man when in Madison. Almost 6400 total yards for a college career, Heisman and two Rose Bowl MVP, amongst many other awards he took in '99. I'm not sure why it's so insulting. He had a better college career than Mike Rozier, one of our all time greats.

Ron Dayne ... had a better college career than Mike Rozier, one of our all time greats.

You know who disagrees?

everyone.gif

Dayne averaged 5.24 ypc and Rozier averaged 7.15 ypc. Rozier only had 668 carries in his career vs. Dayne's 1220. I know who I'm picking.

Ron Dayne ... had a better college career than Mike Rozier, one of our all time greats.

You know who disagrees?

everyone.gif

For some reason the pic won't appear on my work computer, so feel free to explain to me why a man finishing with 4,780 yards and 49 TDs (Mike Rozier) is a better career than a man who finished with 7,125 yards and 71 TDs (Ron Dayne). Yea, Mike had more yards per carry but he still finished with over 1500 yards less than Dayne. That's a better career, obviously no knock on Rozier, but my point is Dayne was a great back and has accomplished as much if not more than one of our all time greats, so it's not insulting to say he "headlines" this years class.

For some reason the pic won't appear on my work computer, so feel free to explain to me why a man finishing with 4,780 yards and 49 TDs (Mike Rozier) is a better career than a man who finished with 7,125 yards and 71 TDs (Ron Dayne). Yea, Mike had more yards per carry but he still finished with over 1500 yards less than Dayne. That's a better career, obviously no knock on Rozier, but my point is Dayne was a great back and has accomplished as much if not more than one of our all time greats, so it's not insulting to say he "headlines" this years class.

That's not a better career, those are higher stats. Huge difference there.

Rozier played during the Scoring Explosion years and had to share the ball with Turner Gill and Irving Fryar. Gill and Fryar ate up some of Rozier's stats - Gill was a Heisman finalist in his own right - not to mention the fact that Rozier sat in most of the second halfs of the games he played in. Dayne played four years for Wisconsin while Rozier played three for Nebraska. Give Rozier another year and another 200 carries and he easily eclipses Dayne's stats.

You know who disagrees?

everyone.gif

Dayne averaged 5.24 ypc and Rozier averaged 7.15 ypc. Rozier only had 668 carries in his career vs. Dayne's 1220. I know who I'm picking.

Braylon Heard 6.0 ypc

Ameer Abdullah 4.8 ypc

What's your point?

Ron Dayne went first round in the NFL draft.............Mike Rozier went to the USFL before getting a crack at the big league a year later. You know who you are picking.....Well, that's good for you. Personally, you won't do bad with either and I don't want to sound like I'm discrediting anything MR did here, but Dayne just had a better career. Does it offend you when someone suggest that someone else had a better career than a husker great?

You know who disagrees?

everyone.gif

Braylon Heard 6.0 ypc

Ameer Abdullah 4.8 ypc

What's your point?

Ron Dayne went first round in the NFL draft.............Mike Rozier went to the USFL before getting a crack at the big league a year later. You know who you are picking.....Well, that's good for you. Personally, you won't do bad with either and I don't want to sound like I'm discrediting anything MR did here, but Dayne just had a better career. Does it offend you when someone suggest that someone else had a better career than a husker great?

How many data points on this one? Do you think this is a valid comparison given the # of carries?

As for the 2nd bolded, nope. I just don't think highly of Dayne at all. Most people don't other than Wisky faithful.

Does it offend you when someone suggest that someone else had a better career than a husker great?

Why do I have to be offended to disagree with you?

I think Ron Dayne was a fine college running back. But you seem to be talking about Rozier as if you never saw him play. I watched both, and there's simply no way I can agree that Dayne was better than Rozier. It's not even close.

Ron Dayne went first round in the NFL draft.............Mike Rozier went to the USFL before getting a crack at the big league a year later.

Out of curiosity, do you know why Rozier went to the USFL first? He was, without question, the best running back coming out of college that year and would have been drafted top three, if not #1 overall that year. So why go to the USFL? Do you know?

Rozier played during the Scoring Explosion years and had to share the ball with Turner Gill and Irving Fryar. Gill and Fryar ate up some of Rozier's stats - Gill was a Heisman finalist in his own right - not to mention the fact that Rozier sat in most of the second halfs of the games he played in. Dayne played four years for Wisconsin while Rozier played three for Nebraska. Give Rozier another year and another 200 carries and he easily eclipses Dayne's stats.

Stats is a representation of a players career. I'm suppose to ignore 1500+ more yards more than Rozier's CAREER ENDING RESULTS.

So what he played for 3 years and Dayne played for years. There's nothing in the rules that says each player has to be compared only to players who played the same amount of time. Who's to say that if Rozier played another year after his last he wouldn't have ended up getting injured? I believe he left the Orange Bowl in the 3rd quarter due to an injury didn't he. The fact he had to share the ball with Gill and Fryar doesn't change the facts. Was Dayne the only talent when he played for Wisconsin? It's a team sport, so what.

Fact is, from the time Rozier step on the field as a Husker to the time he walked off the field for the last time as a husker, he didn't cover as much ground as when Dayne first step on the field and the time he stepped off as a Badger for the last time.......Being that the both were RBs and rushing is what they are primarily asked to do, I would think that this fact weighs heavy on how the career is looked at.

Do we have to look at the hardware taken home by each individual by the time they left their respectable schools........I mean wow........if all you are going to argue is a "What if" to support the ypc argument, they we can be hear all day.

Stats is a representation of a players career. I'm suppose to ignore 1500+ more yards more than Rozier's CAREER ENDING RESULTS.

So what he played for 3 years and Dayne played for years. There's nothing in the rules that says each player has to be compared only to players who played the same amount of time. Who's to say that if Rozier played another year after his last he wouldn't have ended up getting injured? I believe he left the Orange Bowl in the 3rd quarter due to an injury didn't he. The fact he had to share the ball with Gill and Fryar doesn't change the facts. Was Dayne the only talent when he played for Wisconsin? It's a team sport, so what.

Fact is, from the time Rozier step on the field as a Husker to the time he walked off the field for the last time as a husker, he didn't cover as much ground as when Dayne first step on the field and the time he stepped off as a Badger for the last time.......Being that the both were RBs and rushing is what they are primarily asked to do, I would think that this fact weighs heavy on how the career is looked at.

Do we have to look at the hardware taken home by each individual by the time they left their respectable schools........I mean wow........if all you are going to argue is a "What if" to support the ypc argument, they we can be hear all day.