Dow Closes over 15,000 for the first time

I am just putting it into perspective. KJ based it off of $5 per week for a typical investment term of 40 years. Your comment made it seem like there should be more money there somehow.

No . . . my point is that corporations are making record profits, CEO compensation is literally going off of the charts, and income disparity is widening with middle class (and below) incomes stagnating or falling. The rising tide seems to be lifting only the wealthiest boats.

That's a significant problem. And it's a problem that won't be solved by arguing that $42,000 over 40 years is more than $0 over 40 years.

• Fire 3

I am just putting it into perspective. KJ based it off of $5 per week for a typical investment term of 40 years. Your comment made it seem like there should be more money there somehow.

No . . . my point is that corporations are making record profits, CEO compensation is literally going off of the charts, and income disparity is widening with middle class (and below) incomes stagnating or falling. The rising tide seems to be lifting only the wealthiest boats.

That's a significant problem. And it's a problem that won't be solved by arguing that $42,000 over 40 years is more than $0 over 40 years.

So what would you have these corporations do and how do you make them do it?

I've never said that I have all of the answers. For that matter, I don't think that I've said that I have any answers.

What would you do? Ask people to ignore reality and invest $5 a week?

I've never said that I have all of the answers. For that matter, I don't think that I've said that I have any answers.

Yeah....cause saving is never a good thing.

No I would not ask them to ignore reality but I would say doing anything is better than doing nothing. And I wasn't being sarcastic when asking you what you would have them do. I was genuinely asking.

I don't know what the right answer is either. I do know that as I small business owner, I am getting taxed more and more based on the profits I make even though I pay my employees way above average for the job descriptions, plus bonuses, insurance, and 401K match. I encourage them to invest ANYTHING they can because we can't see into the future. That is the perspective I was referring to.

Short of having the government intervene, the workers may have to stand up for themselves and say enough. It's difficult but it's that same merry go round we see all the time. These companies are in business to make high profits at low costs

Yeah....cause saving is never a good thing.

. . . said who?

Short of having the government intervene, the workers may have to stand up for themselves and say enough.

The latter isn't too likely considering the highly successful attacks on labor unions. I guess that leaves us with the former.

These companies are in business to make high profits at low costs

That's capitalism.

Short of having the government intervene, the workers may have to stand up for themselves and say enough.

The latter isn't too likely considering the highly successful attacks on labor unions. I guess that leaves us with the former.

These companies are in business to make high profits at low costs

That's capitalism.

#1. I would tend to agree with you except that small businesses get roped into the same categories as the larger ones. And I for one can't afford to have their hands in my pockets any more than what they already are.

#2. Yep. That's why I wanted to own my own business.

No I would not ask them to ignore reality but I would say doing anything is better than doing nothing. And I wasn't being sarcastic when asking you what you would have them do. I was genuinely asking.

I don't know what the right answer is either. I do know that as I small business owner, I am getting taxed more and more based on the profits I make even though I pay my employees way above average for the job descriptions, plus bonuses, insurance, and 401K match. I encourage them to invest ANYTHING they can because we can't see into the future. That is the perspective I was referring to.

Short of having the government intervene, the workers may have to stand up for themselves and say enough. It's difficult but it's that same merry go round we see all the time. These companies are in business to make high profits at low costs

Really what we need is for more employers to do what you are doing. This is the disparity between small business and those that are publicly traded. The small business owner still understands that quality, happy workers are better for the business in the long run. While many of the massive ones view workers as nothing more than an expense, and a potential thief.

It's also a problem that doesn't really pertain to my point, either. When the market goes up, everyone invested is getting the same return. If you think a certain class is underrepresented in the market, that's an entirely separate issue.

You clearly have never lived in a cash strapped existence. And even above min wage its not exactly smooth sailing.

We would all be better off if every company had to split earnings like the pro sports leagues do.

If only it was like that with people, too. I'd love to split net worth with Warren Buffet, and it's total bullsh#t that he doesn't share any of it with me in our current world. I like cherry coke too, damnit.