South Carolina elects Mark Sanford to Congress

5 things we learned from Sanford's win

Mark Sanford is heading back to Washington after detours along the Appalachian Trail and Argentina.

The former South Carolina governor finished his second term in office three years ago with his political career dead in the water thanks to a well-publicized extra-marital affair and ethics violations. But he came away Tuesday with a victory over Democratic opponent Elizabeth Colbert Busch in the special election for a vacant House seat in the Palmetto State's 1st Congressional District -- the same seat he once held.

Here's what we've learned, or better yet, re-learned, from Sanford's victory:

1. Voters give politicians second chances

2. Candidates matter

3. Turnout matters

4. Location, location, location

5. Money doesn't always matter

All five points are explained in the article, which is worth the read.

Apparently no matter what a politician does, no matter how badly they violate the public's trust, their careers are never truly over.

It doesn't take 5 points to sum this up . . . I think that I can do it with one.

1. Party affiliation above all else.

Yep, completely insane how he managed to win.

http://www.slate.com...arre_south.html

Now, the head-scratching tactics have caught on with those shadowy third party operations that run push polls.AsThink Progress writes, voters in South Carolina claim to have received push polls from Survey Sampling International, at the behest of a non-disclosed client, that ask a bunch of leading questions about Sanford's Democratic opponent. A sample of the reported questions:

- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she had had an abortion?”

- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you a judge held her in contempt of court at her divorce proceedings?

- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if she had done jail time?”

- “What would you think of Elizabeth Colbert Busch if I told you she was caught running up a charge account bill?”

Hey, they don't have to prove these accusations, since there are question marks at the end!

Give me a break. I applaud the sh#t outta this guy! Realizing that he was trapped in a crappy marriage to a naggish woman, he decides that he doesn't give a damn a shacks up with a decent South American broad who for sure looks better, will continue to look better, and treats him better than what he left behind. Yeah, he didn't go about the whole thing in the best possible way, but I'd much rather vote for a guy like this than some dork who is chained to his less than stellar wife because of the possible "political ramifications". And no, I'm not a Republican...

• Fire 1

Give me a break. I applaud the sh#t outta this guy! Realizing that he was trapped in a crappy marriage to a naggish woman, he decides that he doesn't give a damn a shacks up with a decent South American broad who for sure looks better, will continue to look better, and treats him better than what he left behind. Yeah, he didn't go about the whole thing in the best possible way, but I'd much rather vote for a guy like this than some dork who is chained to his less than stellar wife because of the possible "political ramifications". And no, I'm not a Republican...

Um... it's a bit more than a simple affair.

http://www.huffingto...a_n_504798.html

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has agreed to pay $74,000 in fines to resolve dozens of charges that he violated state ethics laws with his campaign spending and travel, including a taxpayer-funded rendezvous with his Argentine mistress, the State Ethics Commission said Thursday.

The commission brought the 37 civil charges against the Republican last year. Sanford, who is term-limited and will leave office in January, still could face criminal charges.

Scrutiny of Sanford's travel started over the summer, when the then-married governor vanished for five days after telling some staff he was going hiking on the Appalachian Trail. He was actually in Argentina, and he returned to tearfully confess a yearlong affair with a woman he later told The Associated Press was his soul mate.

Um... it's a bit more than a simple affair.

http://www.huffingto...a_n_504798.html

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has agreed to pay $74,000 in fines to resolve dozens of charges that he violated state ethics laws with his campaign spending and travel, including a taxpayer-funded rendezvous with his Argentine mistress, the State Ethics Commission said Thursday.

The commission brought the 37 civil charges against the Republican last year. Sanford, who is term-limited and will leave office in January, still could face criminal charges.

Scrutiny of Sanford's travel started over the summer, when the then-married governor vanished for five days after telling some staff he was going hiking on the Appalachian Trail. He was actually in Argentina, and he returned to tearfully confess a yearlong affair with a woman he later told The Associated Press was his soul mate.

Well, yeah, hence the "went about it wrong" bit, but this (use of taxpayer funds) is happening, to some degree, everywhere, all the time. He paid his fine and there aren't going to be criminal charges

LOL....says voters for a party who have glorified men like Ted Kennedy, JFK and Bill Clinton to their highest honors in their party.

That's pretty funny.

GOP prides themselves on their "family values." It is what they use to fight gay marriage.

The institution of marriage is the foundation of civil society. Its success as an institution will determine our success as a nation. It has been proven by both experience and endless social science studies that traditional marriage is best for children. Children raised in intact married families are more likely to attend college, are physically and emotionally healthier, are less likely to use drugs or alcohol, engage in crime, or get pregnant outside of marriage. The success of marriage directly impacts the economic well-being of individuals. Furthermore, the future of marriage affects freedom. The lack of family formation not only leads to more government costs, but also to more government control over the lives of its citizens in all aspects. We recognize and honor the courageous efforts of those who bear the many burdens of parenting alone, even as we believe that marriage, the union of one man and one woman must be upheld as the national standard, a goal to stand for, encourage, and promote through laws governing marriage. We embrace the principle that all Americans should be treated with respect and dignity.

brendanfraiserhahahaclap.gif

LOL...Go ahead and idolize the three I mentioned and totally forget what they have done. I guess toting the party line is the way to go....right?

Feel free to demonstrate anywhere where I've idolized any of the three people you mentioned. Ready.... Set... Fail.

How am I defensive?

I'm only pointing out hypocrisy from the Dems. In this thread we have Dems who claim a Republican only won because of party affiliation and that he can't be trusted because he cheated on his wife...bla bla bla.....

Meanwhile, their party holds these three up on the highest pedestal.

It really is laughable when one side claims the other does nothing but follow party lines when they are doing the same thing.

• Fire 1