Good news for us re: Obamacare/ACA

OK...I have been reading various articles on single payer plans. Here is one I have a real question about and it points to part of why I'm leery of the single payer plan.

Vox

"A single payer system can become a really powerful force for enhancing competition among providers," Berwick argues. "One reason is that you're doing metrics that are standardized, so you can see what's actually happening. Right now, you can't compare Cigna's beneficiaries to United's."

Berwick cited one example from running Medicare, which is essentially a single-payer system for Americans over 65. When he received a report that over 300,000 beneficiaries were being treated "atypically" with anti-psychotic drugs. Nursing homes seemed to be using drugs typically meant to treat psychiatric conditions to keep patients chemically restrained.

So Berwick called in the leaders of various nursing home groups to Washington and demand changes in their practices. Speaking on behalf of more than 50 million beneficiaries, he says, gave him more clout.

"I could go to the mat and act protectively," Berwick says. "I was able to tell them, either you fix this, or I will. I don't think there's a single private insurer who would have done that."

Now....

Reading that, it's fairly clear that he did a good thing here with the nursing home patients. However, you're comfortable with one person at the top having that much control over demanding changes in how patients are treated? Hey....that's great if you have someone up there that really really cares about what they are doing and is extremely knowledgeable.

However, what happens when you have someone who is appointed by some idiot President because they went to high school together, the idiot gets on a power trip and makes absolutely stupid decisions and forces changes that are not smart nor healthy for the patients throughout the entire health care system?

As stated at the bottom of the article, the administrative costs in the current system are astronomical and beyond comprehension. However, when you have competing sources for payment, if one insurance company doesn't offer something but the other one does, you have the option of moving to the one who offers to pay for what you want.

So how does everyone feel about rickets cause it looks as though he will get the nod?

Meh. They're all interchangeable. My money (were I a betting man) is on Bruning though.

Though its like the South Park mascot election. A Giant Douche, or a Turd Sandwich. The only thing either of those two is looking out for is themselves.

Bruning will win, but our state is totally f'd both in the gubernatorial election and in the senate. I can't recall any election in my young life where everyone with a real chance to win in this state was so just ridiculously awful. Nationwide the Tea Party is shrinking and the Republican crazy faction is falling out of power, but not in Nebraska. Hell no. We're going backwards. Fast and hard.

Bruning will win, but our state is totally f'd both in the gubernatorial election and in the senate. I can't recall any election in my young life where everyone with a real chance to win in this state was so just ridiculously awful. Nationwide the Tea Party is shrinking and the Republican crazy faction is falling out of power, but not in Nebraska. Hell no. We're going backwards. Fast and hard.

What is this feeling based on? Is it simply because all of them claim they want to repeal Obamacare?

see/hear their ads, go to their websites and read for 5 seconds, learn about their platforms, check out that laughable 5th-grade attempt by sasse to come up with an "obamacare alternative." listen to osborne get all defensive about his war heroism. it's a competition to see who can be MOAR CONSERVATIVE, and hell you'd think by the end we'll be left a libertarian Nebraska with martial law and no roads, schools, or healthcare because if government is involved, it's bad and evil. At one point we had Ben Nelson at least, but man it's disappointing to see the state go down this road

• Fire 2

What is this feeling based on? Is it simply because all of them claim they want to repeal Obamacare?

My main problem with the leading candidates is that they treat Nebraska voters as if we were idiots. For example, the Nebraska governor just might have things to deal with other than the ACA and immigration.

Then, like tschu mentioned there is the "I'm more conservative!" angle (when they're all far right conservatives) and throw in dingbats like Sarah Palin and reckless demagogues like Ted Cruz . . . and it really paints a sad picture.

So, it's basically because they are conservative?

Nope. It's the degree to which it's become an out-conservative-the-other-guy competition and less about any real issues.

But maybe Nebraska voters just are that dumb? This is a democracy after all, maybe the people have spoken.

I agree about the ads and I'm always surprised when Palin shows up. At some point her 15 minutes of fame and influence has to run out....doesn't it?

I believe the Nebraska population is conservative but not as wacky conservative as what it seems some times when looking at things like these campaign ads. You know a true liberal isn't going to win. So, it's a battle between conservatives.

It's a little like a hot girl says she likes athletes so every guy goes out and tries to impress her with how fast they can run and how high they can jump and totally ignore that she actually likes someone that is sensitive kind and plays the piano.

Trying to prove how conservative you are is the safe way to campaign in Nebraska. In reality, I don't think probably any of these people are Tea Party loony toon.

I have honestly stopped listening to any of them because it seems like all they ever talk about is repealing Obamacare. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it and it isn't going to happen. So, move on and tell me what else you want to do.

• Fire 1

Nope. It's the degree to which it's become an out-conservative-the-other-guy competition and less about any real issues.

But maybe Nebraska voters just are that dumb? This is a democracy after all, maybe the people have spoken.

Right. Run as a conservative . . . and explain to everyone why we should want a conservative candidate. Don't treat the word "conservative" like it's some magic touchstone. It's no more that than "liberal" is. Tell me what you will do and why it is right for Nebraska.

Of course that's probably a bit more work than just saying that the other far-right candidates are less far-right than you are.

I have honestly stopped listening to any of them because it seems like all they ever talk about is repealing Obamacare. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it and it isn't going to happen. So, move on and tell me what else you want to do.

Bingo. +1

TSCHU (sorry I would Quote but for some reason I can't) I was just wondering what your view of these candidates are as far as why you don't think any would make good candidates? I personally am on the fence and thought Brunning would run away with it but IDK. Also what do you think about Chuck Hassebrook.