8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Hey, I got an idea! Let's add one of these teams to the B1G conf. Okay now, who to pick??

:lol:

13. Maryland

12. Virginia

11. Virginia Tech

10. NC State

9. Boston College

8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Hey, I got an idea! Let's add one of these teams to the B1G conf. Okay now, who to pick??

:lol:

Hey now, I'm sure there was some good reason for choosing them, I bet that their athletic department is really well-constructed and financially stable and... errr....

So, if I had to rank the teams in the ACC (including Nebraska): they would be ranked as such:

13. Maryland

12. Virginia

11. Virginia Tech

10. NC State

9. Boston College

8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Remember that there is a distinct gap between teams 1-5 and teams 6-13, but not a gap at all between teams 6-13 and a small gap between teams 1-3 and teams 4 & 5

This saddens me. Thanks for making my day suck even worse.

Bye Bye Big XII, what software do you use for this? I don't use cluster analysis in my work but do use a lot of other data mining methods and run a lot of DOEs. I have a copy of Minitab that I don't use anymore that you're welcome to if you like to do this stuff on your home computer. I am fairly certain you can do cluster analysis with this software package although I've never used it.

beanman, on 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Bye Bye Big XII, what software do you use for this? I don't use cluster analysis in my work but do use a lot of other data mining methods and run a lot of DOEs. I have a copy of Minitab that I don't use anymore that you're welcome to if you like to do this stuff on your home computer. I am fairly certain you can do cluster analysis with this software package although I've never used it.

I use SPSS (http://www-01.ibm.co...cts/statistics/). Thanks for the Minitab offer, but the version of SPSS that I have allows me to do everything I want to do, and since I've been working with SPSS for a couple years, I'm more comfortable with it.

beanman, on 08 June 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I guess it would be nice to see some graphical representations of the clusters and see some of the data since I'm interested in this type of stuff.

Let's see if I can bring the graphs from the SPSS output file into here.

jBzxqjw.jpg

Here we go. Okay, remember that for the SEC, Nebraska belongs under cluster 3, which is the tan line. The yellow line is the average. For the defensive graph, it's also important to remember that the further the line is below the average, the better the defense (with the exception of turnovers forced).

12yQR11.jpg

For the ACC, remember that the best group of teams is cluster 3, Nebraska and Georgia Tech are cluster 1, the next step lower is cluster 2, and cluster 4 is the worst group of teams.

pcrEvG0.jpg

OKPPrfa.jpg

• Fire 2

beanman, on 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I use SPSS (http://www-01.ibm.co...cts/statistics/). Thanks for the Minitab offer, but the version of SPSS that I have allows me to do everything I want to do, and since I've been working with SPSS for a couple years, I'm more comfortable with it.

beanman, on 08 June 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I guess it would be nice to see some graphical representations of the clusters and see some of the data since I'm interested in this type of stuff.

Let's see if I can bring the graphs from the SPSS output file into here.

jBzxqjw.jpg

Here we go. Okay, remember that for the SEC, Nebraska belongs under cluster 3, which is the tan line. The yellow line is the average. For the defensive graph, it's also important to remember that the further the line is below the average, the better the defense (with the exception of turnovers forced).

12yQR11.jpg

For the ACC, remember that the best group of teams is cluster 3, Nebraska and Georgia Tech are cluster 1, the next step lower is cluster 2, and cluster 4 is the worst group of teams.

pcrEvG0.jpg

OKPPrfa.jpg

Thanks, it's nice to see what variables you used. +1

So, if I had to rank the teams in the ACC (including Nebraska): they would be ranked as such:

13. Maryland

12. Virginia

11. Virginia Tech

10. NC State

9. Boston College

8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Remember that there is a distinct gap between teams 1-5 and teams 6-13, but not a gap at all between teams 6-13 and a small gap between teams 1-3 and teams 4 & 5

I'd put Nebraska over UNC.

13. Maryland

12. Virginia

11. Virginia Tech

10. NC State

9. Boston College

8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Yeah, and the stats claim that that argument can be made. Heck, you could put Nebraska over Clemson and Florida State, and have it not be totally weird either. Against Nebraska, UNC would probably have more success running the ball against us than normal while we would have less success running the ball against them as we normally do.

One thing is certain, a game between Nebraska and UNC, Clemson, or Florida State last year would've been a fun one to watch.

13. Maryland

12. Virginia

11. Virginia Tech

10. NC State

9. Boston College

8. Wake Forest

7. Duke

6. Miami

5. Georgia Tech

4. Nebraska

3. North Carolina

2. Clemson

1. Florida State

Yeah, and the stats claim that that argument can be made. Heck, you could put Nebraska over Clemson and Florida State, and have it not be totally weird either. Against Nebraska, UNC would probably have more success running the ball against us than normal while we would have less success running the ball against them as we normally do.

One thing is certain, a game between Nebraska and UNC, Clemson, or Florida State last year would've been a fun one to watch.

Is this in regards of last year? Because I can see your point on running the ball w/UNC last year w/Gio Bernard, but he's gone now.

I think FSU would be better off to beat the Huskers because of their solid defense, but a Clemson - Neb game would be a back and forth, high scoring affair, and one that I think would go to the home team ultimately. I do not want this to happen.