"How Good Was 1995 Nebraska?"...check out HailVarsity

My favorite stat form that season: if we would have scored a TD at the end of the Fiesta Bowl instead of kneeling on it inside Florida's 10 yard line, we would have beaten Florida worse than we beat Pacific.

Or if that fluke touchdown from Florida where their receiver's foot was out of bounds didn't count.

Or if Christain Peter's fumble return for 2 points on a sack on a 2 point attempt wouldve counted like it shouldve.

Oh wait. that've wouldve made it only a 40 point deficit. N/m.

My favorite stat form that season: if we would have scored a TD at the end of the Fiesta Bowl instead of kneeling on it inside Florida's 10 yard line, we would have beaten Florida worse than we beat Pacific.

Or if that fluke touchdown from Florida where their receiver's foot was out of bounds didn't count.

Or if Christain Peter's fumble return for 2 points on a sack on a 2 point attempt wouldve counted like it shouldve.

Oh wait. that've wouldve made it only a 40 point deficit. N/m.

Go to the 10:01 mark of this video for the Christian Peter fumble return.

Can you say defense?

That's a very good point. Often times when that 1995 National Championship team is mentioned, or any of the 90's teams for that matter, people talk about how dominant the offenses were, and sometimes they tend to forget how absolutely brutally dominant Charlie McBride's Blackshirts were. If I had to choose one word that would describe a Charlie McBride defense it would be relentless.

It's like the old saying "the more you stop the other team, the more opportunities your offense will have to score."

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone (under the age of 50 at least) that would actually think the '71 team was better than the '95 team.

The '71 team was pretty much just as dominant in their era as the '95 team was in theirs. '71 Nebraska did have one close game, but it was against Oklahoma, who after that season was considered the second greatest team of all time.

34-7 vs. Oregon

35-7 vs. Minnesota

34-7 vs. Texas A&M

42-6 vs. Utah State

36-0 vs. Missouri

55-0 vs. Kansas

41-13 vs. Oklahoma State

31-7 vs. Colorado

37-0 vs. Iowa State

44-17 vs. Kansas State

35-31 vs. Oklahoma

45-3 vs. Hawaii

38-6 vs. Alabama

The final poll of the season was:

1. Nebraska

2. Oklahoma

3. Colorado

4. Alabama

In my opinion, that kind of dominance makes '71 Nebraska an extremely close second to '95 Nebraska in the GOAT debate, and if anyone said '71 was better, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Notably, both Nebraska teams played significantly tougher schedules than 2004 USC and 2001 Miami, and neither had a close game against an average opponent, like USC and Miami both did.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone (under the age of 50 at least) that would actually think the '71 team was better than the '95 team.

The '71 team was pretty much just as dominant in their era as the '95 team was in theirs. '71 Nebraska did have one close game, but it was against Oklahoma, who after that season was considered the second greatest team of all time.

34-7 vs. Oregon

35-7 vs. Minnesota

34-7 vs. Texas A&M

42-6 vs. Utah State

36-0 vs. Missouri

55-0 vs. Kansas

41-13 vs. Oklahoma State

31-7 vs. Colorado

37-0 vs. Iowa State

44-17 vs. Kansas State

35-31 vs. Oklahoma

45-3 vs. Hawaii

38-6 vs. Alabama

1. Nebraska

2. Oklahoma

3. Colorado

4. Alabama

In my opinion, that kind of dominance makes '71 Nebraska an extremely close second to '95 Nebraska in the GOAT debate, and if anyone said '71 was better, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Notably, both Nebraska teams played significantly tougher schedules than 2004 USC and 2001 Miami, and neither had a close game against an average opponent, like USC and Miami both did.

I've seen a number of lists with '95 as #1 and '71 as #2, not just in Nebraska history but all-time. I have no problem with that. They have an incredible resume, I just think the 1995 team is clearly better.

34-7 vs. Oregon

35-7 vs. Minnesota

34-7 vs. Texas A&M

42-6 vs. Utah State

36-0 vs. Missouri

55-0 vs. Kansas

41-13 vs. Oklahoma State

31-7 vs. Colorado

37-0 vs. Iowa State

44-17 vs. Kansas State

35-31 vs. Oklahoma

45-3 vs. Hawaii

38-6 vs. Alabama

1. Nebraska

2. Oklahoma

3. Colorado

4. Alabama

I've seen a number of lists with '95 as #1 and '71 as #2, not just in Nebraska history but all-time. I have no problem with that. They have an incredible resume, I just think the 1995 team is clearly better.

The only word in that last sentence I disagree with is "clearly." Neither team had a weakness, and they played in completely different eras. The only knock against '71 Nebraska is they had a close game against a truly great Oklahoma team. The only knock against '95 Nebraska (and Osborne's championship run in general) was that they didn't have to face a great Oklahoma team. Osborne's championship run happened after Switzer was gone.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with anyone saying '95 Nebraska is better. I do take issue with anyone who says it's inarguable.