Jadeveon Clowney: Martinez is "scared"

Told you:

ACC official, Pereira say they'd eject Jadeveon Clowney for 'The Hit'

At Big 12 media days, SBNation.com's Steven Godfrey asked Fox Sports officiating guru and one-time Pac-12 officiating consultant Mike Pereira how he would have officiated the play. His response:

"[E]ach conference has talked to their officials and the philsophy is when in doubt, throw ...&

"Remember what you're dealing with in targeting. It's the crown of the head. Not simply the helmet, but the crown of your head. Not the forehead. You're looking for a guy hitting who is looking at the ground."

"Boy ..."

[Pereira still can't make up his mind. Looks at frozen frame.]

"If I'm an official, based on 'when in doubt,' he's out. He's ejected. And when that goes to replay there's no way they overturn it. There's a great potential that hit causes an ejection this year."

http://www.cbssports...ney-for-the-hit

i do not like their standard of 'when in doubt'. boy, this will get ugly.

I think they mean when in doubt throw it and then discuss with other officials. You can't retrospectively throw a flag.

Sure you can. I've seen refs huddle up quite often after plays and discuss and then throw a flag. It happens quite often on intentional grounding calls.

a. martinez does tend to look scared. he just has that look about him. but he has demonstrated true grit.

b. why is clowney even talking smack about t-mart? why does he care?

c. it will be interesting to see how they do this year. i am guessing they finish third in their division.

d. clowney is the dude who did this:

clowney2-1-1-13.gif

He's getting ejected this year if he hits like that. Hell, with the way refs called it last year, it should have been a flag.

He hit him in the chest? That's just a once in a lifetime hit.

Side angle shows the crown of his helmet hit the RB in the neck/lower facemask which is why his helmet popped off. Guys get flagged for far less last year.

I know this was a hell of a hit, but he only had 3 other tackles other than this with no sacks..

Laser Light show relax...