Deaf baby hears for first time

I literally teared up watching this. I myself am deaf in my left ear and would love to have the opportunity to have full hearing in that ear but to imagine a baby with no hearing and then one day to have hear that myself and so many others take for granted is such a heart warming moment. I'm so happy for this family and baby

• Fire 2

That's a pretty special moment no doubt. MTV did a show on a deaf kid from down the road and his adventure through getting the surgery/implant to hear for the first time. He was an early high schooler at the time. I definitely got the allergy eyes when they turned it on the first time. His reaction was very similar. The downside to it for him was that he went his whole life not hearing and had adapted. Then when they turned the implant on, at first he was excited about all the new sounds and hearing his families voices. But he eventually became overwhelmed with the noise that full hearing people endure on a daily basis. Eventually he stopped using the implant. That was a few years ago now and maybe he has decided to use it again but it was a very interesting transformation.

This baby has a leg up though in that he will have not had that full adaptation to deafness yet, which makes it more likely for him to continue with the implant.