ESPN: First Take with Pelini

Lets all be honest. The comment that Martinez will play QB in the NFL is a joke. There is a big difference on the skills you have to have in college compared to the NFL.

I like him for us here at Nebraska, but if I was an NFL coach ----no way

I don't think it's too off track.

Right now, what would Taylor have to do for him to be like Russell Wilson, who, you know, only led the Seahawks to the playoffs last year?

I wouldn't put anything past TMart. Excellent athlete, player and person. I think he is still behind Wilson at this point comparing when each was moving into their senior seasons. Again not to say TM can't improve....he can and will.

When people talk about him not being an NFL QB I always point to the fact that Colt McCoy was given every chance to be a pro QB.

This. Mccoy was a lot like Gabbert in that the short and intermediate screens and whatnot is a lot of what their O was based on. Taylor has a really big arm when he has his form down. Itś his passing mechanics that need work when under duress. But it will be a lot different when heś in a system of linemen that are competent at pass pro (no offense to our line as their run blocking has been perfect for our system). A huge majority of his fumbles were off of blindside hits as well so I think scouts will see that. As for a shot at starting, we may never know. But I certainly won´t count him out.

Lets all be honest. The comment that Martinez will play QB in the NFL is a joke. There is a big difference on the skills you have to have in college compared to the NFL.

I like him for us here at Nebraska, but if I was an NFL coach ----no way

I don't think it's too off track.

Right now, what would Taylor have to do for him to be like Russell Wilson, who, you know, only led the Seahawks to the playoffs last year?

I wouldn't put anything past TMart. Excellent athlete, player and person. I think he is still behind Wilson at this point comparing when each was moving into their senior seasons. Again not to say TM can't improve....he can and will.

I think that's what Bo's banking on. If he makes as another big jump in his progression this year, I think he'll get a shot too.

Until we see that, I'd like to know who these scouts are that we're supposed to be giving the benefit of the doubt. Who are they and what, exactly, did they say about Martinez?

I guess it is probably going to come down to what most of you consider as Taylor getting a shot. Taylor will join a team in the NFL. Maybe he throws a few balls in practice before his speed and athleticism is utilized in a different position. He will be moved to another position. Hell, he may even end up starting at another position down the road after a few years of learning.

Now some of you will take those few throws in practice and say "Taylor got a shot at QB in the NFL". I hardly call throwing a pass in practice "getting a shot", but whatever.

It seems some of you forget how many highly successful college QB's have never gone on to take a single snap as a starting QB in the NFL. Some remain backups or practice squad at best. Others are insurance salesmen these days. Many of them had a far more impressive skill set than Taylor as far as throwing the ball. Let's face it, as a QB, you must know how to throw the ball, especially at the highest level of the game.

Taylors speed will be hard to overlook at the next level though. I'd be interested in hearing where some of you think he might realistically end up?

Before seeing what the Niners did with Kaepernick i would've said no way about Martinez. Now I'm not so sure. I'm a Niners fan and I thought that he had absolutely no business being out there as a pro QB. Is Kaepernick the most polished QB in the league? Not by far, but he brings a skill set to the table that really opens things up for him.

Now I'm not saying Martinez is anywhere near where Kaepernick is as a QB but I sure as hell don't think Kaepernick was that much ahead of where Martinez is while he was in college.