ESPN: First Take with Pelini

Taylor Martinez is nothing like Russell Wilson other than the fact they both play qb and are athletic. Wilson is top tier when it comes to every quarterback attribute: arm strength, accuracy, footwork, pocket awareness. Not to mention his preparation, leadership skills, and mind for the game is as good or better than anyone in the game. It's pretty regularly thrown around that if he were 6'2" he would've been drafted somewhere in the top 3 of the 2012 draft. College stats are completely meaningless in this case. Different offenses for Wilson with much less margin of error for the qb (west coast at NCST and pro style at WIS, which by the way he mastered that playbook in 3 weeks), and a much less talented supporting staff at NCST, who he carried for his three years, making significant progress each year. The one year he had talent on par with Nebraska, he set the NCAA record for passing efficiency. With all that said, if Taylor makes the same strides at the position as he did last year, he has a shot at the pros.

Spot on in terms of recognizing an NFL-type QB IMO.

I'd like to see his Senior year before I say he won't get a chance at QB at the next level. As of right now, not a chance. WR would be his best bet. But I have no idea how his hands or route running would be. We know how his hands are when he's running the ball - needs improvement - don't know if he can catch though.

But he has a better chance being a QB than a DB, I suspect. Can you imagine him trying to tackle someone like Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson? Yikes.

I don't think Martinez is on the same level as a passer (as you have to be in the NFL) as Wilson is but here's an interesting tidbit:

Google the 2011 preseason All B1G teams. You'll find most of them had Denard Robinson as the pick. How did that work out? Several have Dan Persa and Kirk Cousins ahead of Wilson. Phil Steele didn't even have Wilson on his fourth team. Now being on an All-Conference team is much different than being successful in the NFL but Wilson has always been in an NFL-style offense and - with the obvious exception of Robinson - the others would have been in what would be considered an NFL style offense. Cousins is at least in the NFL but the others faded.

My point is that even going into his senior year Wilson was not held in very high regard. Even AFTER his senior year he was considered a stretch (no pun intended) to make it in the NFL. And not only did he make it, he started from Week 1. A lot can change.

Taylor Martinez is nothing like Russell Wilson other than the fact they both play qb and are athletic. Wilson is top tier when it comes to every quarterback attribute: arm strength, accuracy, footwork, pocket awareness. Not to mention his preparation, leadership skills, and mind for the game is as good or better than anyone in the game. It's pretty regularly thrown around that if he were 6'2" he would've been drafted somewhere in the top 3 of the 2012 draft. College stats are completely meaningless in this case. Different offenses for Wilson with much less margin of error for the qb (west coast at NCST and pro style at WIS, which by the way he mastered that playbook in 3 weeks), and a much less talented supporting staff at NCST, who he carried for his three years, making significant progress each year. The one year he had talent on par with Nebraska, he set the NCAA record for passing efficiency. With all that said, if Taylor makes the same strides at the position as he did last year, he has a shot at the pros.

I'm going to pick this apart because I'm at work and bored:

Taylor Martinez is in fact very much like Russell Wilson. The ways that you mentioned, both are quarterbacks and athletic, and also both have remarkably similar career numbers through the same amount of time, both have similar sized frames, both are highly-regarded but not considered elite going into season number four, etc.

Sure, Wilson had a less talented supporting staff, but he was also going against less talented opposition - those wash out. He also dropped 20 points in his quarterback rating from his sophomore to junior campaigns, with worse numbers across the board except for total yards (not surprising since he threw it 150 more times).

I love Taylors heart and competitiveness

BUT, RWJ- played for a really bad team- NCState

When he played for a halfway descent team- he was 33 TDS- 4 INTS, 72% completions and 191 QB rating Wisconsin 225 309 3,175 33 4 72.8 191.8 79 338 4.3

He doesnt turn the ball over and has AMAZING pocket awareness- he extends plays, not by running for his life, but by moving the pocket, stepping up- GREAT footwork

He doesnt take many sacks

He doesnt fumble a lot

He does throw the ball away when there isnt a play to be made with reasonable risk/reward- IE he's a great decision maker

I think the NFL still values that type of footwork for QBS rather than straight line 40s

No im NOT a hater- just stating the facts

Right now RWJ and Taylor arent in the same ballpark

Im glad Bo is advocating for Taylor- good stuff

No offense to Taylor, because I'm a big fan of his, but he is no where near the QB Russell Wilson is as of right now.
Taylor Martinez through 3 seasons: 506 / 852 (59.4%) for 6,591 yards, 46 TD, 27 INT, 135.64 QBR Russel Wilson through 3 seasons: 682 / 1180 (57.8%) for 8,545 yards, 76 TDs, 26 INT, 136.4 QBR Going into their senior seasons, Russel had thrown the ball a much larger volume of times, but Taylor is almost identically as effective (didn't include rushing stats where Taylor wipes the floor over Wilson).
Lets all be honest. The comment that Martinez will play QB in the NFL is a joke. There is a big difference on the skills you have to have in college compared to the NFL. I like him for us here at Nebraska, but if I was an NFL coach ----no way
Why is it a joke? Do you know any NFL scouts? Because Bo Pelini does, and is on record as having talked to them about his quarterback. I'll take the word of a man who actually has a professional knowledge of the game and has talked to others who also have professional knowledge of the game over your or my uninformed and, let's be honest, ignorant opinions.

You realize how many college QB's in our type of offense put up big numbers? I feel I have great knowledge when it comes to determining pro talent. I'm not going to get fully into this since I don't want to hate on Martinez. Just feel like I am being realistic with my 'ignorant' opinions.

Seriously. Did Bo do something to Howard during their playing days at Ohio St/Michigan? A late hit. Viscoius hit or something? Or does Desmond just have a jones for Bo because he played for Ohio St? Regardless, Desmond Howard has an obvious vandetta against Bo.

You really have to wonder, in private, if Bo called him out on some of that sh#t. You know Bo heard some of the things he said, and Bo seems like the kind of guy that would confront someone who had issue with him. Dez is a b!%(h.....