UCLA v. Nebraska - Visiting Bruin Alumni

uclaboy82

My friends and I will be traveling to Lincoln for the game on Saturday, arriving in Lincoln on Friday afternoon from LA. What are the things that we MUST do on Friday afternoon/night and before the game on Saturday (Restaurants, Bars, Tailgates, How Early will people start tailgating for an 11am game, etc).

Last year's game was a awesome (for UCLA fans), here is to hoping this year's game is just as competitive.

-Mat

PS Anyone know of any bars in Lincoln that are showing the Mayweather/Canelo fight on Saturday night? Thanks!

My friends and I will be traveling to Lincoln for the game on Saturday, arriving in Lincoln on Friday afternoon from LA. What are the things that we MUST do on Friday afternoon/night and before the game on Saturday (Restaurants, Bars, Tailgates, How Early will people start tailgating for an 11am game, etc).

Last year's game was a awesome (for UCLA fans), here is to hoping this year's game is just as competitive.

-Mat

PS Anyone know of any bars in Lincoln that are showing the Mayweather/Canelo fight on Saturday night? Thanks!

If it's not before sunrise then it doesn't count.

• Fire 1

Go down to the Haymarket where they just build the new Arena. There are dozens of bars for us pesky 30-50 yr old types. Lots of good places to eat. I'm sure Brewsky's will have the fight on but you might want to call ahead. Barry's would by my other guess. Both places will be packed on Saturday. I always enjoy a good meal at Lazlos down there. The have everything from a great french dip to good steaks and voodoo chicken. And a good micro brew too. O Street bars will be more of the college scene but I do enjoy a good red beer at Sandy's on game day and there is always a band playing on the loading docks behind the Embasy Suits on game day between O street and the stadium. Tail gating will probably suck since its 11 am. But those who are going to will probably start by 8 with breakfast burritos. If you want a free meal best places are going to be in the lot between the Golds building and the strip bar called The Night Before which is about 4 blocks from the stadium, in the lot right behind the Journal Star newspaper right west of the Stadium, or the tiny 12 car lot just north of the stadium across from Casey's gas station. They seem to do the best for free stuff for the visiting team.

-Mat

I didn't know anyone watch boxing anymore? :ahhhhhhhh Some will also tell you to go to Misty's its an old time steak house, the inside looks like a mafia hangout. Personally I think it is overrated. Seeing the Sidetrack Band is a must and I myself always have fun at the "Docks" behind Embassy Suites they usually have a funk band playing. Barry's is living on its past glories and will charge you a cover.

Don't be afraid to buy yourself a 12 pack of Busch Lt. and walk through the tale gate spots you will probably get invited to stay and eat somewhere.

Some random places to eat while seeing the sights and getting something to absorb the copious amounts of alcohol strangers will buy for you on O Street, win or lose:

-Runza

-Misty's

-Lee's (I've heard varying reports on whether it's still worth visiting)

-Lazlo's (excellent BrewPub--Better beer than 90% of the BrewPup stuff in Texass, FWIW)

-Green Gateau

-Zesto's

Also, if you happen to hang around on O street post-game, win or lose, a word to the wise--brush up on your UCLA/Nebraska game history (see YouTube), because folks buying you alcohol will likely want to talk about history in this series in addition to the action from that day, especially the older they are. :)