Freedom of speech for college professors?

NUance

Do professors have freedom of speech?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A Michigan State University professor has lost his teaching duties after telling his students in a video lecture that Republicans "raped this country," among other derogatory remarks.

LINK

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked that the guy would be punished over these remarks. Granted, he has an inflammatory style and is completely biased. But aren't professors supposed to elicit thought provoking conversation like this?

A Michigan State University professor has lost his teaching duties after telling his students in a video lecture that Republicans "raped this country," among other derogatory remarks.

LINK

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked that the guy would be punished over these remarks. Granted, he has an inflammatory style and is completely biased. But aren't professors supposed to elicit thought provoking conversation like this?

In the words of Ice-T: Freedom of Speech? Just watch what you say.

OTOH, I have a feeling that there's more to it than this. Maybe the guy has a history of making trouble. And this is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Even if that's the case, if MSU was going to take away his teaching duties, it should not have been over this event. They made a martyr out of the guy.

IMO it would depend on the terms of his employment. If he is a tenured professor he should be allowed to speak/teach as he sees fit.

If he is not tenured then MSU might have the the right to terminate his employment for any (or no) reason.

He wouldn't be the first or last professor to come of as a biased douche. I'd be interested in hearing how he responds to anyone who would challenge his thoughts, if he would engage in an intellectual debate or if he would put them down.

I lean left myself, but I hate it when people, especially teachers, engage in such one-sided discussions.

As NUance said, there's probably a lot more to know about this guy, so I don't know if an actual punishment was appropriate, but if you invite controversy, you need to be prepared for some blowback.

As someone who is very knowledgeable of this area, I can assure you that higher education institutions are pretty lenient with what they allow their faculty to talk about, especially as it relates to their respective subject matter. However, things get dicey when instead of saying something like, "The actions of Republicans did significant economic damage to the country," they say "Republicans raped the country!"

These are all highly educated, intelligent people who know that wording and presentation has A LOT to do with what is deemed "acceptable" speech.

He wouldn't be the first or last professor to come of as a biased douche. I'd be interested in hearing how he responds to anyone who would challenge his thoughts, if he would engage in an intellectual debate or if he would put them down.

I lean left myself, but I hate it when people, especially teachers, engage in such one-sided discussions.

As NUance said, there's probably a lot more to know about this guy, so I don't know if an actual punishment was appropriate, but if you invite controversy, you need to be prepared for some blowback.

First, I don't know anything about that guy other than what's in the short YouTube clip. But from experience it seems to me that people who frame there opinions in vehement statements like that are often not willing to tolerate the opinions of others. That said, I don't think he should be stifled just for being acerbic.

And I'll be he considers himself to be open minded. For some reason extreme liberals consider themselves to be open minded. When in fact they are every bit as narrow minded as extreme conservatives. (I'm guessing the guy is an extreme liberal). :lol: