Youth on Defense

I was at the game, but have to confess, I'm not a huge "who is on the field and who made what play" over all. I'll take my binoculars and focus on one or two players off an on, but not a big picture kind of guy.

A lot of us on here have been hollering to let the young bucks play and we'll take their learning mistakes. I saw some flashes, especially early, of great, old school blackshirt defense. But it did seem to me that the young guys didn't get the playing time they did the first two games. Is that accurate?

If so, should we have let them play more?

If not, discounting bad coaching, is some of the breakdown we saw today due to young guys just not adjusting as the UCLA offense adjusted?

I'd so like to believe that today's meltdown was at least partially a youth related phenomenon.

If it was youth related, then the tale of today's performance will be told several games later into the year...if they can bounce back and learn.

But coaches don't have 3 missed tackles in one play........players do.........the same players that made those tackles in the first quarter and a half. They were there in position to make tackles on those running plays and just didn't. So yeah......coaching calls had alot to do with todays meltdown, especially on offense to me.......but missed tackles are COMPLETELY on the players......and there was plenty of them in the last half of the game.

Coaching. Not players.

But do you think the young guys on defense got the same playing time they did the first two games?

I think most of them played quite a bit in last weeks game.......not so much in the first game......alot of personnel changes were made from week 1 to week 2.....but most were in there last week for alot of time.

But coaches don't have 3 missed tackles in one play........players do.........the same players that made those tackles in the first quarter and a half. They were there in position to make tackles on those running plays and just didn't. So yeah......coaching calls had alot to do with todays meltdown, especially on offense to me.......but missed tackles are COMPLETELY on the players......and there was plenty of them in the last half of the game.

Yes..that ugly missed tackle bug came back today very clearly..in way too many instances.

Yes..that ugly missed tackle bug came back today very clearly..in way too many instances.

Yeah it did.......and they looks SO solid the first part of the game. And then that sack was missed right before the half and the missed tackles came back with a vengence.

You can't play D-Line the way we do in a man-to-man scheme. You can't ask DBs to cover for 6 or 7 seconds each play. You've got to let your DL get penetration, and you've got to send blitzes.

On offense, this game was a total friggin' crap show. Run damn power plays that are the strength of the offense, and what the OL was built for. Then play action out of it every now and then to keep the defense honest. We don't have Andrew Luck as a QB. RUN THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't play D-Line the way we do in a man-to-man scheme. You can't ask DBs to cover for 6 or 7 seconds each play. You've got to let your DL get penetration, and you've got to send blitzes.

On offense, this game was a total friggin' crap show. Run damn power plays that are the strength of the offense, and what the OL was built for. Then play action out of it every now and then to keep the defense honest. We don't have Andrew Luck as a QB. RUN THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree when it comes to the defense of the pass......you have to get pressure.......but alot of those missed tackles Im talking about were on running plays and our guys were there......just didn't make the tackles that they WERE making at the beginning of the game.

And Yeah.......I don't know where Becks mind goes......you are getting 4,5,6 yards on every basic run play and then run two messed up pass plays for a yard a piece......such a mess

Collins, Maurice, Valentine, Moss, McMullen and Gregary should play most of the game. ,

Gerry, Banderas, Rose, and Afalava(whenever he gets back) should be play most of the game.

They might be young, but in 3 years we should be unstoppable when Frost takes over.

+1 I need a smile.

:ahhhhhhhh I like your thought process

Well I'm not finished. Because I'd then play Armstrong, Newby, and every other freshmen and sophomore I could find on offense. 3 years from now. Unstoppable.

Collins, Maurice, Valentine, Moss, McMullen and Gregary should play most of the game. ,

Gerry, Banderas, Rose, and Afalava(whenever he gets back) should be play most of the game.

They might be young, but in 3 years we should be unstoppable when Frost takes over.

+1 I need a smile.

:ahhhhhhhh I like your thought process

Well I'm not finished. Because I'd then play Armstrong, Newby, and every other freshmen and sophomore I could find on offense. 3 years from now. Unstoppable.

I laugh...then I think.....then I agree....I mean really...why not!