Latest from Tommie

np_husker

Tommie just says what almost all the fan base is thinking, he is just a more important member of the Husker family. I agree with everything he has said.

So you think we should fire the entire defensive coaching staff?

seriously.gif

Did you see the game, RR? Should any coach on the defensive staff feel safe? I don't think so.

I'd get into a big argument talking about how some of what the defense is can't accurately be attributed to them, but then knapp would call me an idiot. So...

Becks 3x pass calls are forcing our defense into contain instead of pressuring QBs. But once the D is on the field Papuchis needs to have them at least formed up right.

:confucius

Beck is calling plays that result in too many quick drives and punts. This results in the Defense, already playing poorly, getting back on the field only minutes after they allowed a score. The mentality of these first year starters must be shaken by this. Papuchis and Beck need to work together to find a rythym they can both be happy about.

What does that have to do with playing contain vs. pressuring QBs?

When your defense is gassed, they dont have the ability to pressure the QB as much

Football 202 stuff

Yeah. If only there were other players on the sidelines who could also play. We could call them substitutes. They could give the guys who just got done playing a break and they'd be fresh. I'm going to walk down the hall and see if Paps can work on this.

Becks 3x pass calls are forcing our defense into contain instead of pressuring QBs. But once the D is on the field Papuchis needs to have them at least formed up right.

Beck is calling plays that result in too many quick drives and punts. This results in the Defense, already playing poorly, getting back on the field only minutes after they allowed a score. The mentality of these first year starters must be shaken by this. Papuchis and Beck need to work together to find a rythym they can both be happy about.

My point is that these guys are so worn down they are merely waiting for the play to develop and come to tthem rather than having some gas in the tank to attack the QB.

When your defense is gassed, they dont have the ability to pressure the QB as much

Football 202 stuff

Yeah. If only there were other players on the sidelines who could also play. We could call them substitutes. They could give the guys who just got done playing a break and they'd be fresh. I'm going to walk down the hall and see if Paps can work on this.

Get me an autograph while you're at it

Football 202 stuff

t

If we are actually utilzing subs correctly then there is a grander issue than wear and tear. Id say formation is a good place to start looking.

My point is that these guys are so worn down they are merely waiting for the play to develop and come to tthem rather than having some gas in the tank to attack the QB.

So do we blame the coaches or should we look in further, say, the strength coaches? I agree that Bo is no TO, but, Tony Hobson is no Boyd Epley either. Other than Suh, who have had that has been in the running for the Outland since the 90's? I know the coaches do the drills for getting in shape, but I really think things go alittle deeper than that.

The inexplicable and repeated passing attempts might be explained by TM's turf toe injury. I don't think that has been fully addressed publicly one way or the other. If TM was playing while injured, it explains a lot about how we became one dimensional. Maybe he was injured in the first half and they thought he was okay to keep going. Or made the decision to keep him in anyway.

I hope he recovers quick, but I also hope we get a good look at the youngsters this week.

The inexplicable and repeated passing attempts might be explained by TM's turf toe injury. I don't think that has been fully addressed publicly one way or the other. If TM was playing while injured, it explains a lot about how we became one dimensional. Maybe he was injured in the first half and they thought he was okay to keep going. Or made the decision to keep him in anyway.

I hope he recovers quick, but I also hope we get a good look at the youngsters this week.

Also the fact that UCLA continually stuffed Ameer on first down runs. Seems like we spent a lot of the game in 2nd and 8 or 3rd and 6 type situations. It sure didn't seem like we picked up that six or seven yards on first down very often.