Yahoo article about Bo's comments

bdubb75

Minnesota used to win championships. They used to be a football power. Today they're the definition of irrelevant. Could happen here, too.

At least give me credit there knapplc, I posted that on another board 4 weeks ago and got laughed at, well, no one is laughing now.

No one here cares what you posted on another board, get over yourself.

• Fire 1

I can tell you right now that weather has absolutely nothing to do with recruiting in regards to 99% of recruits. greatest recruiting myth of all time.

Weather may not have anything to do with recruiting, but the continued migration of people to warm weather states is a huge factor. That means that most of these kids growing up in the South will want to play in the South.

and few local recruits

I hate to sound like a broken record, but recruiting is, at best, a starting point for a good team.

If recruiting is the "end all, be all" recipe for success in college football, then Texas wouldn't be 22-18 over their last 40 games, and Thunder Collins would have made us forget about Johnny Rodgers.

I can tell you right now that weather has absolutely nothing to do with recruiting in regards to 99% of recruits. greatest recruiting myth of all time.

I wouldn't say 99%, but it is not a huge factor. If you grow up in Ohio or Nebraska or Penn. it is not a big factor. If you grow up in FL or Texas it may be. Population is the biggest factor. How many instate recruits does OSU take every year. I believe OSU and Michigan basically divide up the best recruits for the most part out of Ohio which is what probably 20 or so guys. I mean come on it is way easier for OSU than Nebraska to recruit. Braxton Miller is from Ohio, wasn't Pryor from Ohio before that? If he wasn't it was a surrounding state wasn't it.

A QB like that comes out of Nebraska about once every 10 years if we are lucky. One comes out of Ohio every year. Yes OSU pulls its share of players from the South, but I would die to see Nebraska get to take 10 3 and 4 star recruits out of Nebraska every year like OSU does.

I wouldn't say 99%, but it is not a huge factor. If you grow up in Ohio or Nebraska or Penn. it is not a big factor. If you grow up in FL or Texas it may be. Population is the biggest factor. How many instate recruits does OSU take every year. I believe OSU and Michigan basically divide up the best recruits for the most part out of Ohio which is what probably 20 or so guys. I mean come on it is way easier for OSU than Nebraska to recruit. Braxton Miller is from Ohio, wasn't Pryor from Ohio before that? If he wasn't it was a surrounding state wasn't it.

A QB like that comes out of Nebraska about once every 10 years if we are lucky. One comes out of Ohio every year. Yes OSU pulls its share of players from the South, but I would die to see Nebraska get to take 10 3 and 4 star recruits out of Nebraska every year like OSU does.

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!!! One thing I will always point to the success of the mid-90s Huskers was the amount of exceptional talent that came out of Nebraska at that time. Ahman Green, Scott Frost, Chris Dishman, Zach Weigert were all Nebraskans who went on to play in the NFL. That requires talent!!!

We are a Big 10 outsider which puts us behind on the top HS talent in Big 10 territory. We have no conference assiciation with a Texas school and A&M is now in the SEC which puts us farther behind with all the top Texas talent. We use to have a good shot at top Missouri talent, but who knows how much that will change with Mizzou in the SEC. We have takens Iowa's spot in the Big 10.

We have not won a conference championship since 1999.

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!!! One thing I will always point to the success of the mid-90s Huskers was the amount of exceptional talent that came out of Nebraska at that time. Ahman Green, Scott Frost, Chris Dishman, Zach Weigert were all Nebraskans who went on to play in the NFL. That requires talent!!!

This is very true whenever Nebraska has had truly great teams they have had a lot of instate talent on the roster.

We are a Big 10 outsider which puts us behind on the top HS talent in Big 10 territory. We have no conference assiciation with a Texas school and A&M is now in the SEC which puts us farther behind with all the top Texas talent. We use to have a good shot at top Missouri talent, but who knows how much that will change with Mizzou in the SEC. We have takens Iowa's spot in the Big 10.

I just don't see the recruiting doom. Bo certainly is not a outstanding recruiter and there is plenty of talent on the field right now. yeah, we dont share a conference with any texas schools, but we also can recruit OH and PA. talent is not the end all. look at florida st, miami, texas, usc. FSU looks better this year but they have been pretty inconsistant for awhile now.

Also i understand "stars" in recruiting but how big a difference is there between players on the field, seriously? a .1 second on a forty time? 10lb increase on a bench press? I honestly don't know, but i would guess that outside of the handful of exceptional athletes it is not as significant as some like to think. don't get me know wrong, there are difference makers and depth comes into play but players still have to perform on the field.

The thing we can give Callahan credit for is he proved Nebraska could bring in a highly ranked recruiting class. Obviously he had more weight to throw around as a former NFL head coach, but it can still be done.

Furthermore, I think location matters some, but let's take a look at other places that I personally believe aren't the most lucrative of locations, and schools in these cities have won BCS games or competed for titles in the last decade - Ann Arbor, Mich., Columbus, Ohio, South Bend, Ind. and Eugene, Ore. Quality matters over quantity here. These places aren't in warm weather, they're not by some snazzy beach and there are far better places to spend your summers.

These places, though, have had better coaches and talent in place more recently that Nebraska. But, as I've opined the last couple of days, Nebraska has talent here capable of competing for conference titles, and has had it. Talent aside, there's little arguing against the idea that we have coaching deficiencies somewhere.

I just don't see the recruiting doom. Bo certainly is not a outstanding recruiter and there is plenty of talent on the field right now. yeah, we dont share a conference with any texas schools, but we also can recruit OH and PA. talent is not the end all. look at florida st, miami, texas, usc. FSU looks better this year but they have been pretty inconsistant for awhile now.

Also i understand "stars" in recruiting but how big a difference is there between players on the field, seriously? a .1 second on a forty time? 10lb increase on a bench press? I honestly don't know, but i would guess that outside of the handful of exceptional athletes it is not as significant as some like to think. don't get me know wrong, there are difference makers and depth comes into play but players still have to perform on the field.

True. It probably comes down to development and coaching. Texas should be running off conference titles and competing for MNCs. I'm reading a lot about the country club atmosphere and coddled athletes at Texas. Maybe these cathedral-like weight rooms and shiny new facilities aren't the answer. Maybe a weight room should look and smell like a dungeon. The kind of place you would be afraid to walk through at night.

The thing we can give Callahan credit for is he proved Nebraska could bring in a highly ranked recruiting class. Obviously he had more weight to throw around as a former NFL head coach, but it can still be done.

Furthermore, I think location matters some, but let's take a look at other places that I personally believe aren't the most lucrative of locations, and schools in these cities have won BCS games or competed for titles in the last decade - Ann Arbor, Mich., Columbus, Ohio, South Bend, Ind. and Eugene, Ore. Quality matters over quantity here. These places aren't in warm weather, they're not by some snazzy beach and there are far better places to spend your summers.

These places, though, have had better coaches and talent in place more recently that Nebraska. But, as I've opined the last couple of days, Nebraska has talent here capable of competing for conference titles, and has had it. Talent aside, there's little arguing against the idea that we have coaching deficiencies somewhere.

Callahan recruited like he was shooting a shot gun. If I put out enough offers some of them will hit the mark. He got some really good recruits and some very bad ones. His O-line and QB recruiting were terrible.

I would agree that we need better coaching, but I think it applies more to the head region than anything. They need to get the players to play loser in big games they are way to worried about messing up.

All the schools you mentioned are still a lot closer to the recruits than we are .