Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

With Bo's job on the line the foolishness of Bo making Martinez play hurt are over. You forget Martinez was once a freshman with no meaningful snaps. What do you do next year when Martinez isn't here anymore and all your qb's have seen snippets of action? There is a reason why our backups leave because no matter what Bo plays Martinez no matter what.

Have you ever had turf toe?

I have.

Re-read my post. I said if we handle bizness backups will be in by the 3rd anyway. If Martinez gets hurt worse, you get your wish of having plenty of time to groom unproven backups.

As far as a once unproven Martinez getting thrown in? Who else did we have? Lee WAS NOT BO's PLAYER. GREENE WAS NO GOOD.

He hitched his wagon to taylor and all Taylor has done is break all the records and take us to 2 CCG. Is he the best player God created? NO.

But he's better (especially given all that has gone on this week) to lead the team. We have a bye next week. If we handle business, he won't be in past halftime anyway.

I don't think he is the leader this team needs right now.

I am a little too harsh to say his stats "stink", but NU career passing stats are absurdly low compared to most schools. Most of Martinez stats accumulated volume is solely due to longevity as a starter, not those being "great stats" by any stretch.

It would take 9500 yards to even crack the NCAA career top 100. That does not sound like an all time great career to me. Those are mediocre passing stats when viewed nationally.

3000 rushing yards in a career, not bad for a QB at all! Too bad he can't run at all right now and really has trouble with good defenses, like those found on teams that might just be able to blow us out severely.

Other Husker records not having to do with longevity:

#1, #4 & #8 Total Offense Seasons

#3 & #7 Passing yard seasons

#3, #7 & #8 Total Offense in a game

#9 Passing yards in a game

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Overall Total Offense in a season

Total Offense TDs in a season

Freshman and Sophomore Total Offense records for a game

Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Passing yards in a season

Freshman passing yards in a game

Completion % in a game (min. 10 attempts)

Rushing yards by a QB in a game

Rushing TDs by a QB in a game

3000 rushing yards in a career, not bad for a QB at all! Too bad he can't run at all right now and really has trouble with good defenses, like those found on teams that might just be able to blow us out severely.

Not bad for a QB? He started the year as the #8 career rusher at Nebraska for any position and, if he stays healthy, will very likely be at least #3 after the year and maybe #2.

Actually most of those are longevity related. Especially the freshman and sophomore records. I, personally, would also throw the passing records in there, but that's just me.

Not bad? That's an understatement.

Most folks want a dual threat QB.

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark.

Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

Martinez is not a dual threat QB. His running has been subpar for the last 3 years and his passing has always been suspect. He just doesn't have it. No matter what the stats say.

Also, what say you when the scorching bright lights of the entire nation are shining on Lincoln this weekend, due to the Tommie/Bo tirade and the Bo leaked tape, and a red shirt or walkon QB craps their pants the first 3-4 series and we are in a dog fight??

PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS TO WIN THE GAME.

When it's no longer in doubt, put in the backups. Our offense seriously needs game reps to get better. Why not get some, a la SMiss.

That's best case scenario.

I'd say it was better than watching our 5th year senior crap his pants the first 3-4 series.

Other Husker records not having to do with longevity:

#1, #4 & #8 Total Offense Seasons

#3 & #7 Passing yard seasons

#3, #7 & #8 Total Offense in a game

#9 Passing yards in a game

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Overall Total Offense in a season

Total Offense TDs in a season

Freshman and Sophomore Total Offense records for a game

Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Passing yards in a season

Freshman passing yards in a game

Completion % in a game (min. 10 attempts)

Rushing yards by a QB in a game

Rushing TDs by a QB in a game

Actually most of those are longevity related. Especially the freshman and sophomore records. I, personally, would also throw the passing records in there, but that's just me.

That's a lot of non-longevity records. Taylor has had a lot of good games, and a lot of good numbers to his credit. I get the general argument, I do, but there's no need to take away from a list of accomplishments that is pretty impressive...whether or not that makes him one of the best ever.

How would Bo know, he has never given them an opportunity to get game experience and we have heard that Armstrong has the it factor. Gamers game, how can they really even compare without real time in games? If we are losing that badly and the other guy isn't getting it done why not let your backup get some experience?

So ... you didn't watch the S. Miss game?

I should have said meaningful time, that wasn't even enough time to get into a rhythm. He ran the ball four times, and never threw. How is that game experience?

That's a lot of non-longevity records. Taylor has had a lot of good games, and a lot of good numbers to his credit. I get the general argument, I do, but there's no need to take away from a list of accomplishments that is pretty impressive...whether or not that makes him one of the best ever.

I don't disagree with that statement.

He's has some good games no doubt. We've seen his ceiling though, and its not a championship.

If he comes back and proves me wrong great, but I'm ready to see someone play QB for us with a higher ceiling.

Also I need to add here, the topic of discussion is who can get us the most wins. What TM has done in the past does not matter, its what can he do right now.

That is the nature and beauty of sports, there is always the next season and guy. While it's "what have you done for me lately", its also a microcosm for the cycle of life.

Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint, which works primarily as a hinge to permit up and down motion. Just behind the big toe joint in the ball of your foot are two pea-shaped bones embedded in the tendon that moves your big toe. Called sesamoids, these bones work like a pulley for the tendon and provide leverage when you walk or run. They also absorb the weight that presses on the ball of the foot.

When you are walking or running, you start each subsequent step by raising your heel and letting your body weight come forward onto the ball of your foot. At a certain point you propel yourself forward by "pushing off" of your big toe and allowing your weight to shift to the other foot. If the toe for some reason stays flat on the ground and doesn't lift to push off, you run the risk of suddenly injuring the area around the joint. Or if you are tackled or fall forward and the toe stays flat, the effect is the same as if you were sitting and bending your big toe back by hand beyond its normal limit, causing hyperextension of the toe. That hyperextension, repeated over time or with enough sudden force, can -- cause a sprain in the ligaments that surround the joint.

Typically with turf toe, the injury is sudden. It is most commonly seen in athletes playing on artificial surfaces, which are harder than grass surfaces and to which cleats are more likely to stick. It can also happen on a grass surface, especially if the shoe being worn doesn't provide adequate support for the foot. Often the injury occurs in athletes wearing flexible soccer-style shoes that let the foot bend too far forward.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

thats not how I was taught

Not bad? That's an understatement.

Most folks want a dual threat QB.

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark.

Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

Martinez is not a dual threat QB. His running has been subpar for the last 3 years and his passing has always been suspect. He just doesn't have it. No matter what the stats say.

Absurd. No matter what the stats say.

Absurd. No matter what the stats say.

I agree. To call him a dual threat QB is absurd. Look, I just don't think he's a good QB. I have nothing against him personally. I just think we will be MUCH better off when he leaves the QB spot. IMO, the longer the ball is in TM's hands during a game, the worse off we are.