Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

Its the JackRabbits lol.. Sit TM and start RK. Use RK and TA the whole game and let them play. This is a perfect game to let Rk start a game. If we play TM i can see the same thing that happened to Burkehead going down. Turf toe is no joke.

I don't have a problem with a split reps, then we could get a better comparison of the two.

What I'd really like to see is a split between TM (once healthy) and TA, to give the other team that much more to worry about!

If Martinez starts, it just proves this coaching staff has no balls.

I think stupidity has been the main nemesis of this coaching staff, which could cause "analysis paralysis" that would appear the same as being ball less.

Armstrong was the #5 rated QB in the country. Oregon offered and wanted to pluck him out of Texas similar to what they did with LaMichael James. Given the style of offense they run, that should tell you something. TA also goes about 220 pounds, Frazier came on campus weighing 180-190. What I am getting at is TA is more physically mature and already took a shirt to learn the system. The play calling when he finally got in should tell you something, this guy can really move the ball with his feet. He's confident and elusive. He can throw on the run. All the types of problems with TM's game appear to be TA strengths. Check the film, that Texas 5A ball he's dominating, second largest division. Assuming he can't throw well is a mistake.

With respect to playing RK III, I get it, people want the local kid walk on to make good, what a story. I am more concerned with winning this year and next, and I think TA gives a better chance for that. You say RK III is a better passer, well I don't care a mobile QB can be a less accurate passer as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. TA threw barely any ints in high school, incredible 29 to 2 touchdown to int ratio.

Nothing against RK III, but if we are ever going to get back to a conference championship level, who do you think is really going to get us there? I really hope we don't see a boring "game manager" performance from RK III while TA rides the pine Saturday. As has been mentioned, why do you think we keep losing highly regarded recruits to transfers.

If in doubt, go TA!

I agree with this 150%

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Played a little against Southern Miss. Ran the option with authority. Not afraid to lower shoulder. Didn't throw, but rumor is he has a cannon for an arm. Staff has said he is a natural leader and the "it" factor.

He passes the eyeball test. Appears to have the swagger needed at the position. Will be interesting to see of he oes Sat. Knee was a little slow to rehab. Glad he got action last week to test it out.

Welcome o the board.

This. He is exactly what this offense needs IMO. He brings electricity to this offense because he is quick elusive and a leader. If Beck wants a run-first offense then he is our guy. If he wants a pass first then RKIII is our guy from what i've seen. But I have heard TA also has a cannon. Perfect time for him to get some experience and to see the future of our offense.

All the top QBs can make something out of nothing like the Wyoming guy and Hundley just did to us. Manzell would be the extreme example, that guy is amazing with those quick feet and elusiveness. You don't see him whining about the offensive line, he just refuses to be sacked or beaten on any play. Defenders will beat a block multiple times over the course of a game and the QB can never let one man take him down. TA showed that type of ability on film, and it is the very definition of the leadership you need at QB. It sets the tone for the entire team, vs. curling in a ball and being sacked, or trying futilely to run to the outside and not making it.

I agree with this 150%

I feel if you evaluate the film and what he flashed against SMU, objectively what you will see is physical ability eerily similar to our legend Tommie, but with better throwing ability, and I know people have a hard time believing he could be our "next Frazier" for fear of a letdown.

These coaches owe it to Husker Nation at this point to determine what we have in TA, as even a slightly watered down version of Frazier could be enough to get us to the BIG championship level.

Here is a quote about his Spring game play:

http://bleacherrepor...s-heir-apparent

"He showed vision and acceleration as he read the defense, made his decisions on options and attacked the holes he was given. Armstrong finished the game with 10 carries for 39 yards. Armstrong got to show off his arm as well. He finished the game 5-of-7 for 102 yards and a 37-yard touchdown to Alonzo Moore. But the highlight of the game for Armstrong may have been the 32-yard strike he completed to Brandon Reilly. When the ball was thrown, Reilly was double-covered, and most fans thought the pass would be incomplete at best or intercepted at worst.

Instead, Armstrong dropped the ball into Reilly’s hands through an incredibly narrow window, giving the Red team a first down and keeping alive a drive that ultimately led to a missed field goal."

I would rather see both backup quarterbacks get substantial playing time and Martinez get some time to heal.

HOWEVER, if i have to pick one, I would rather have Ron Kellogg throwing to Bell, Enunwa, and Turner than Armstrong running the option with Abdullah. I think our wideouts are our strongest asset right now, and that has been with a quarterback who is...how shall I say this?...not an elite passer...

Sit Martinez til we actually need him and if he still can't run no point in him being out there, useless.

Ridiculous.

Martinez isn't a pocket passer. His legs are his best weapons. If he can't run the defense will just sit back and not rush since he wouldn't be a threat with his legs. Martinez isn't good enough to beat a defense with his arm the entire game.

Oklahoma St. 2010

Southern Miss 2012

Northwestern 2012

Minnesota 2012

I would rather see both backup quarterbacks get substantial playing time and Martinez get some time to heal.

HOWEVER, if i have to pick one, I would rather have Ron Kellogg throwing to Bell, Enunwa, and Turner than Armstrong running the option with Abdullah. I think our wideouts are our strongest asset right now, and that has been with a quarterback who is...how shall I say this?...not an elite passer...

TA can throw.

Here is a bit more on Armstrong, early enough in the recruiting process that Fuller and Starling were still even in play and discussed:

http://www.huskerloc...-from-safe-5446

"Against some of the best competition in the state of Texas, Armstrong finished his senior year going 83 of 139 (59.7%) for 1,475 yards and 23 touchdowns with his lone pick the result of a tipped ball. He ran for 1,052 yards on 121 carries (8.69 YPC) tallying 11 touchdowns on the ground. More importantly, he already has a good throwing motion to build off of."

Let me tell you, I lived in San Antonio a long time, and never even heard of Cibolo Steele before Tommy Armstrong. What was he born, about 1995? Why would he come to NU? My bet is he had a Dad who knew all about 1995 NU and it's quarterback, and saw the same attributes in his son and encouraged his interest in coming. He was locked up for NU early and never really looked too hard or visited anywhere else. What do you think?

Sit Martinez til we actually need him and if he still can't run no point in him being out there, useless.

Ridiculous.

Martinez isn't a pocket passer. His legs are his best weapons. If he can't run the defense will just sit back and not rush since he wouldn't be a threat with his legs. Martinez isn't good enough to beat a defense with his arm the entire game.

Oklahoma St. 2010

Southern Miss 2012

Northwestern 2012

Minnesota 2012

Now if we could list more than 4 games there, I think you'd be on to something...

Ridiculous.

Oklahoma St. 2010

Southern Miss 2012

Northwestern 2012

Minnesota 2012

All terrible defenses.

How did that go against UCLA this year? I don't care what you say, Martinez is not a pocket passer and cannot defeat good teams with his arm alone. I'm a Martinez fan but then guy is not good enough to sit in the pocket and pick apart defenses when the defense does not need to worry about his running ability.

Now if we could list more than 4 games there, I think you'd be on to something...

All terrible defenses.

How did that go against UCLA this year? I don't care what you say, Martinez is not a pocket passer and cannot defeat good teams with his arm alone. I'm a Martinez fan but then guy is not good enough to sit in the pocket and pick apart defenses when the defense does not need to worry about his running ability.

Totally expected.

1 - Hyperbolic claim thrown out

2 - Claim is disproved

3 - Excuses and conditions are applied because people don't like the answer

4 - ???

5 - Profit

• Fire 1

All terrible defenses.

Totally expected.

2 - Claim is disproved

4 - ???

5 - Profit

Quoting 4 games from 4 years of college football experience is not disproving anything. As I said, I am a martinez fan and I think he fits well with what we do in this offense but he needs to be able to run the ball to effectively to keep good defenses honest. Martinez does not have the pinpoint accuracy or football IQ to completely pick apart a good defense with just his arm.

Off play action and such, he can certainly be dominating through the air but beyond that. No.

All terrible defenses.

Totally expected.

2 - Claim is disproved

4 - ???

5 - Profit

Quoting 4 games from 4 years of college football experience is not disproving anything. As I said, I am a martinez fan and I think he fits well with what we do in this offense but he needs to be able to run the ball to effectively to keep good defenses honest. Martinez does not have the pinpoint accuracy or football IQ to completely pick apart a good defense with just his arm.

Off play action and such, he can certainly be dominating through the air but beyond that. No.

The statement was "Martinez isn't good enough to beat a defense with his arm the entire game." Where is there a qualifier on how many games he could win by throwing?

Ridiculous.

Oklahoma St. 2010

Southern Miss 2012

Northwestern 2012

Minnesota 2012

Throw out Oklahoma State he rushed for 112 yards. So what you got two bottom feeders and one decent team. not a good list.