Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

I know he's on schollie this year, but when's the last time a walk-on QB started for NU? Tommy's the future, but RKIII starting would be a neat storyline and I'm in favor of seeing it happen. But, then let those two duke it out and see who performs best. We need these two game ready if TMs injury lingers.

Turman as far as I can remember.

That's a miller lite "good call."

There's been something different about TM all season, no doubt. Whether injury or coaches new orders. If he's banged up, let him mend and come back full strength down the stretch. Another shoddy offensive performance and loss with TM "toughing it out," obviously won't go over well.

I know he's on schollie this year, but when's the last time a walk-on QB started for NU? Tommy's the future, but RKIII starting would be a neat storyline and I'm in favor of seeing it happen. But, then let those two duke it out and see who performs best. We need these two game ready if TMs injury lingers.

Turman as far as I can remember.

Monte Christo started against Texas in 1998.

It's 2010 all over again. I'd rather take a 100% RK III/TA than a 50% Martinez. Let him rest 3 weeks as long as he sticks to the RICE treatment he should be ready to go by the B1G opener.

Agreed. Putting an injured and ineffective Martinez out there to struggle and risk further injury makes no sense. So I'm anticipating that's exactly what they'll do.

Ugh, blow out loss last weekend, T-Mart is out (for now), Tommie and Bo are bumping heads, Bo is cursing up a storm (2 years ago) and ESPN is salivating. I am not looking forward to this game. I hope the boys can stay focus. On a positive note, I can't wait to see how RKIII and Tommy Armstrong perform! Why is it though that Nebraska's MVP's always end up injured their senior year? (such as burkhead, crick, and now martinez)

3 years ago we played South Dakota State and we won 17-3. with the way things are blowing up in the news we need to take South Dakota State with a little more focus.

Absolutely! Ask K-State how well not being prepared for NDSU worked out for them.

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

I would not. If Taylor is anything less than 100% sit his ass and play Armstrong. We need Taylor completely healthy for B1G play becuase if his running ability is completely hindered like it has been this year, we are going to lose more than we should. Sit his ass until he is healthy and can be the running threat that he is known to be.

This mentality of playing him if he says he can go, or playing him injured is asinine. I appreciate the kids heart but he is not a pocket passer and cannot beat people with purely his arm. He needs his full running ability to be a successful QB on this team. Period.

I will be completely disappointed with this staff for the first time if TM plays this weekend and is not 100%.

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

I would not. If Taylor is anything less than 100% sit his ass and play Armstrong. We need Taylor completely healthy for B1G play becuase if his running ability is completely hindered like it has been this year, we are going to lose more than we should. Sit his ass until he is healthy and can be the running threat that he is known to be.

This mentality of playing him if he says he can go, or playing him injured is asinine. I appreciate the kids heart but he is not a pocket passer and cannot beat people with purely his arm. He needs his full running ability to be a successful QB on this team. Period.

I will be completely disappointed with this staff for the first time if TM plays this weekend and is not 100%.

Agree 100%

Its the JackRabbits lol.. Sit TM and start RK. Use RK and TA the whole game and let them play. This is a perfect game to let Rk start a game. If we play TM i can see the same thing that happened to Burkehead going down. Turf toe is no joke.

Id much rather see TA start. I like RK and all and don't think hes a bad QB, but TA is the future, get him playing time now and we are better off next year becuase of it.

Is there any reason to not start Armstrong in this game? Do we want to go into next year with a QB that has almost no game experience? Sub in RK when it's time to give TA some one-on-one coaching. The schedule sets up perfectly for Martinez to get some healing time.

Are the coaches afraid that Armstrong will light it up and cause a QB controversy? <insert joke about Beck making sure he doesn't light it up>

If Martinez starts, it just proves this coaching staff has no balls.

If TM is hurt with Turf Toe he needs to sit and try to get better. It is a very painful injury and only gets better with rest. TM looks like he did at the end of his freshman year with better passing.

If this is so I hope they start Armstrong. I think the kid really has it and will add a different dimension to the offense that TM doesn't have. K3 would be fine, but I want to see TA.

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Played a little against Southern Miss. Ran the option with authority. Not afraid to lower shoulder. Didn't throw, but rumor is he has a cannon for an arm. Staff has said he is a natural leader and the "it" factor.

He passes the eyeball test. Appears to have the swagger needed at the position. Will be interesting to see of he oes Sat. Knee was a little slow to rehab. Glad he got action last week to test it out.

Welcome o the board.

This. He is exactly what this offense needs IMO. He brings electricity to this offense because he is quick elusive and a leader. If Beck wants a run-first offense then he is our guy. If he wants a pass first then RKIII is our guy from what i've seen. But I have heard TA also has a cannon. Perfect time for him to get some experience and to see the future of our offense.

If Martinez starts, it just proves this coaching staff has no balls.

I think stupidity has been the main nemesis of this coaching staff, which could cause "analysis paralysis" that would appear the same as being ball less.

Armstrong was the #5 rated QB in the country. Oregon offered and wanted to pluck him out of Texas similar to what they did with LaMichael James. Given the style of offense they run, that should tell you something. TA also goes about 220 pounds, Frazier came on campus weighing 180-190. What I am getting at is TA is more physically mature and already took a shirt to learn the system. The play calling when he finally got in should tell you something, this guy can really move the ball with his feet. He's confident and elusive. He can throw on the run. All the types of problems with TM's game appear to be TA strengths. Check the film, that Texas 5A ball he's dominating, second largest division. Assuming he can't throw well is a mistake.

With respect to playing RK III, I get it, people want the local kid walk on to make good, what a story. I am more concerned with winning this year and next, and I think TA gives a better chance for that. You say RK III is a better passer, well I don't care a mobile QB can be a less accurate passer as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. TA threw barely any ints in high school, incredible 29 to 2 touchdown to int ratio.

Nothing against RK III, but if we are ever going to get back to a conference championship level, who do you think is really going to get us there? I really hope we don't see a boring "game manager" performance from RK III while TA rides the pine Saturday. As has been mentioned, why do you think we keep losing highly regarded recruits to transfers.

If in doubt, go TA!